Unsupported QR code on iOS

Options
BareMetal23
BareMetal23
Community Member

Hi, I am trying to scan a QR code for the one-time password feature on this website: https://www.paniniamerica.net/myaccount/2fa-authentication.html and I keep getting an error in my iOS app saying "Unsupported QR code".

The website specifically says "DOWNLOAD AN AUTHENTICATOR APP

Download and install Authy or Google Authenticator app for your phone or tablet", but I usually just use 1Password for all of these QR codes vs Google Authenticator.

iPhone 12 Pro Max
iOS 15.0
1Password 7.8.1

1Password Version: 7.8.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15.0

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BareMetal23!

Are you sure that you are not scanning the download QR code, rather than the 2FA code? Some websites use a QR code to quickly allow you to download an authenticator app, and a separate QR code to setup 2FA. It sounds like you might be scanning the first code in this case, but since you already have an authenticator app (1Password), you should be able to skip that section and go to the next QR code.

• BareMetal23
    BareMetal23
    Community Member
    Options

No, unfortunately that isn't it. Here's the image from the website (I marked out the QR code for security reasons). It clearly states to open your authenticator app and scan this QR code, then enter the 6-digit code below. Same as all other QR codes I scan for the "One-Time Password" function in 1Password.

• Hi @BareMetal23:

Thanks for checking back. I was able to replicate this issue, and I believe I know why it happened. As a workaround, if you use 1Password in the browser, instead of 1Password on iOS, you should be able to add the QR code successfully, using the Scan QR Code entry in the 3 dot menu.

While the issue doesn't lie directly with us (the QR code is not properly escaping spaces, and as such is malformed), I'll flag this internally so we can keep an eye on this issue.

Cheers!

ref: dev/core/core#10307
    ref: apple-5506

• BareMetal23
    BareMetal23
    Community Member
    Options

OK, thanks Jack!

• BareMetal23
    BareMetal23
    Community Member
    Options

Just to clarify as well, I purposely altered the QR code in the image above for security purposes. It looks like a normal QR code on my browser that I was trying to scan using my iPhone's camera and the 1Password app.

• Hi @BareMetal23:

When I say that the QR code is malformed, I was speaking about the actual data encoded in the QR code I received when I tested this site using an account I made, not the drawing you had done on it.

Have a great rest of your day!

• BareMetal23
    BareMetal23
    Community Member
    Options

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. I just wanted to make sure you didn't think the QR code at the top here was the one in question :-)

• I totally understand your concern. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.