Feature Suggestion - Username Generator

I know there are plenty of tools already to do exactly this, but I think it would be super slick to have access to a built in generator for the username field in a similar style to how generating a memorable password in the password field works now.

Comments

• Hi @VictorVon, thanks for this suggestion. I can definitely see the appeal! I have passed this on to our developers on your behalf. Thanks for letting us know what you'd like to see in this regard!

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests/#120

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member

Yes!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I've simply used the password generator set for three words

• That's a solid workaround @danco! Thanks for sharing! 👍

• binaryoverload
    binaryoverload
    Community Member

+1, this would be handy!

• thanks @binaryoverload 😀 just popping in here to say that your +1 and the other posts here have been added to the feature request around this. Thanks for making your voice heard!

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

+1 from me! Nice feature. ;)

• Thanks for chiming in @DanalB! We'll be sure your mark is included here as well. :+1:

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

There is now an article on the 1Password website about random usernames:
    https://blog.1password.com/when-to-use-random-usernames-online/
    But the option is not implemented in 1Password 8 yet… It sounds a bi weird to me to promote random usernames without implementing the feature in 1Password itself, but it sure emphasizes how much this suggestion is valid.
    (and I sure put my +1 for the suggestion).

• ksbrar
    ksbrar
    Community Member

+1

• Thanks @cortig, your comments have been added to our discussion around the issue. We appreciate your input on this!

ref: dev/core/core#12228

• norysang
    norysang
    Community Member

I only found out about your random username generator because of this thread so I also second the suggestions to integrate it directly into the 1Password app. However in its current form the generator isn't of much use for me because even the "memorable" suggestions are mostly generic words that are most possibly already used as a username. Although I'm a 1Password user for over 10 years, my go-to username generator is the one by LastPass because it somehow manages to create "speakable" usernames that are still somewhat random while at the same time consisting of a combination of two words or something like that. For me this is quite important because especially when registering for forums I want my username to be kind of memorable and speakable so other users don't have a hard time mentioning me in threads.

• PeterG_1P
    edited May 2022

Thanks for this perspective, @norysang - we'll see what we can do to better improve the generator from here!

ref: IDEA-I-898

• jbhardman
    jbhardman
    Community Member

+1. I'm sure you know, but that other competitor of yours with a hosted and self-hosted option has integrated username generation.

• Thank you for the additional feedback! I have updated the vote tally and included these comments in our discussion of the feature. We appreciate you letting us know this would be useful for you.

It's not integrated into the desktop app, but we do host a web-based username generator here, too, in case that's helpful for your use case. 👍

This discussion has been closed.