1Password for Firefox doesn't work with Firefox snap

Ubuntu 21.10 will come with Firefox snap for default instead the usual Deb package (still available). I tried to install 1Password in Firefox snap but It doesn't communicate with the Linux app. Should I do any configuration to work?

Comments

• @mhalano

If you've installed 1Password or Firefox via snap, it effectively sandboxes the app and doesn't allow native messaging between the two. If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend installing both using .deb package. You can find instructions for installing 1Password via .deb package from our site here: https://support.1password.com/install-linux/#debian-or-ubuntu

• mhalano
    mhalano
    Community Member

It has an option in the configuration menu but it was already enabled by default. So I think we could open a bug or request for improvement? I

• @mhalano

To confirm, is integration still not working after installing 1Password via .deb package?

• mhalano
    mhalano
    Community Member

Using 1Password installed via .deb package and Firefox via Snap didn't work the integration. With regular Firefox installed via .deb package works, just not with the Snap version.

• @mhalano

I'm afraid we are limited by snap security policy here: https://snapcraft.io/docs/security-sandboxing. If you want the apps to be able to communicate, they would need to live outside snap in order to facilitate native messaging.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions!

• mhalano
    mhalano
    Community Member

So could you implement an interface between Firefox snap and 1Password? I think the snap version will be the new standard and would be good if everyone works to create integration and make this new normal work as expected.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mhalano ,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion here.
    It would seem that since Snap sandboxes everything, it won't really be possible to get an app and an extension to talk with each other directly, but we'll forward it to the team and see if there's something we can do in the future.

Thanks again for bringing this up! Much appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.