To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Are standalone licenses for 1P7 still available

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited September 2021 in Memberships

Pretty simple question - can a standalone license for 1Password 7 still be purchased (asking for a friend). Previously if you opened up 1Password 7 for the first time there was an option to still purchase a standalone license, but this appears to be gone now. Is the option still available and just hidden somewhere? Or completely gone at this point?

And yes, I know the future of 1Password (i.e. 1Password 8) will be subscription only, so that does not need to be reiterated.

1Password Version: 7.7.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Aaron Pinsker!

Licenses are no longer for sale. Please see this post from our founder Dave if you are interested in more details :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Aaron Pinsker:

I am sorry to hear that, but we appreciate the feedback, and we are very grateful for your support so far. No matter what password manager you end up using, please stay safe online! And should you change your mind in the future, we would love to have you back :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Aaron Pinsker:

I'm not gonna lie, and this will sound harsh, but I'm really sick and tired of hearing "sorry" from the 1P Team Members. The "sorries" are obviously not sincere as 1P keeps doubling down on the plethora of controversial decision

I certainly understand the frustration and the disappointment! For what it's worth, my "sorries" are sincere, but I hope you understand that there is not much else I can say from my position in tech support. I can tell you however that the team is reading all the comments we receive, so your feedback is once again certainly very welcome :+1:

• DogBlack
    DogBlack
    Community Member

I am with Aaron. Since Accel's investment in 1Password there has been a dramatic rise in cash extractive practices at Agile Bits.

You want a subscription, then provide me with an explanation of the "service" that you are providing for me in my keeping my data locally. The answer is that there is none so Agile Bits has had to concoct a reason by withdrawing local vaults. So instead of having a harder to find distributed copy of my vault the company would like me to add all my passwords to a honeypot on Agile Bit's servers.

I don't wish the end of companies but I look forward to improvements in Apple's password manager, the recent adding of 2FA capability makes 1Password unneeded and the Agile Bit's business practices make it unwanted.

While ag_ana's sincerity is not questioned, they are not after all making the decisions, it must be disappointing to have to work in an environment where customers are being wrung out for very little return.

• soshiito
    soshiito
    Community Member

AB is in business to make money, like every other business, and has to do what is in the best interest of deriving the best return on investment. That is and has always been true irrespective of venture capital. It is the society we live in. They have been extremely clear now about the status of all things standalone or license related:

Standalone licenses are no longer for sale. Membership is the future.

This is how they feel they will be able to make the best return. Hate the game, not the player.

I look forward to improvements in Apple's password manager, the recent adding of 2FA capability makes 1Password unneeded

Apple has already shown their hand. iOS 15 is out, and the details of Monterey are available. Their password manager doesn't scratch the surface of what 1Password provides. There are lots of other players in this space though. If you aren't happy, there are plenty of options.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Aaron Pinsker

...keychain is more than capable of handling password for the vast majority of users. Its biggest downside is that it isn’t really designed for cross-platform use.

Or sharing passwords with other users. That said, for someone who's a solo user with a personal iCloud account and only Apple devices everywhere, from work to personal use, Keychain could indeed be an excellent solution. We encourage people to find the solution that fits best with their use-case and wishes. Stay safe out there. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Aaron Pinsker

This is obviously not the same as what 1Password can do, as it requires close proximity and a direct connection b/w devices...

Right. ;)

Still, if that's something that appeals to you, then that may be an avenue worth exploring for your password management needs.

• DogBlack
    DogBlack
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

AB is in business to make money, like every other business, and has to do what is in the best interest of deriving the best return on investment. That is and has always been true irrespective of venture capital. It is the society we live in.

From this, it is almost like the customer is only there for gouging.

Apple has already shown their hand. iOS 15 is out, and the details of Monterey are available. Their password manager doesn't scratch the surface of what 1Password provides.

The alternative view is that at the price point Monterey provides greater value than AUD 55 pa for 1Password providing 'features' I didn't ask for and removing the ones that were the reason for buying 1Password in the first place - specifically that they didn't try to tie me to their servers. I literally use 1Password for generating passwords and generating OTP synced via local vaults.

The "it's less than the cost of x" argument is not a value proposition for delivering a product whilst trying to kid me on that it is a service.

Either way, AgileBit have decided that I am not their target audience, so I will go elsewhere.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood @DogBlack, I am sad to see you go as well, but we appreciate you taking the time to share your reasoning with us :+1:

This discussion has been closed.