Preferences toggle for Case Sensitive / Spotlight Search

hmgnsd
hmgnsd
Community Member

Why is the only search option in both 1Password 8 and Quick Access case sensitive when both 1Password 7, 1Password Mini and the iOS/iPadOS apps are not? Will case sensitivity be turned off eventually, or will a toggle be implemented? Also, Spotlight can still search 1Password results on iOS/iPadOS, will this functionality return to 1Password 8?

1Password Version: 8.2.2-40.NIGHTLY
Extension Version: 2.0.6
OS Version: 11.6

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited September 2021

Hi @hmgnsd, thanks for contacting us here!

Regarding case sensitivity: I'm not sure what the current specific plans are for this, but I have put in a request to the developers on your behalf to consider either turning off case-sensitivity or adding a toggle. 😃

Also, Spotlight can still search 1Password results on iOS/iPadOS, will this functionality return to 1Password 8?

Unfortunately I can't speak to this, as we generally don't announce features / functionality before any given thing actually makes it into the app. We're going with the approach of "under-promise, over-deliver" - although I will certainly note for our developers that this is something you'd particularly like to see. Thank you for letting us know! 👍

Quick question: can I ask what's the virtue of this Spotlight-searching-1Password functionality to you (as opposed to something like Quick Access?)

ref: dev/core/core#10082
    ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests/#908

• hmgnsd
    hmgnsd
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P Thank you for forwarding my feedback :)

Quick question: can I ask what's the virtue of this Spotlight-searching-1Password functionality to you (as opposed to something like Quick Access?)>

Muscle memory, consolidation of services running in my menu bar at any given time, concern over integrations with other apps such as Alfred, having too many similar keyboard shortcuts such as cmd+shift+C which is most universally used for quite a few clipboard managers already; so there's one extra step to resolve that conflict. Not to mention (I don't know if I'm in the minority) but I have a hard time working out which fingers to use to even action a keyboard shortcut, especially on a MacBook keyboard where with my admittedly larger than average hands having to twist into a carpel tunnel inducing claw to hit the above shortcut with one hand. Or I can create my own, which I'll probably forget, and if I need to educate someone else of it over zoom or IM explaining "my shortcut is different to your shortcut" is time I'd rather be spending pressing cmd+space or cmd+/ and using the trackpad.

• Hey @hmgnsd, makes sense to me. Thanks for taking the time to explicate this for us. It was my pleasure to put in the feature request on your behalf!

• hmgnsd
    hmgnsd
    Community Member

Glad to have provided my perspective. After looking around at other password manager apps I’ve come back to 1Password and would like to give the new version, electron or not, a fair shot. And part of that is actually having the guts to use it and provide feedback. If you didn’t beta test, you can’t complain! Like voting

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for being willing to test @hmgnsd, we appreciate it :)

• Dom_1P
    Dom_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2021

Hi @hmgnsd, without revealing any personal info, could you give me an example of a title you are searching for and what you typed into search?

Search was designed to be case insensitive, so searching for "google" or "GOOGLE" would match with "Google" etc.

It's possible that it doesn't get it quite right if the language used in app is not English, which is definitely something we'd want to fix.

• hmgnsd
    hmgnsd
    Community Member

@Dom_1P Does quick access take some time to index, or learn through repetition? What I was searching for was 'MacBook' however I only got a result by searching quick access verbatim, 'macbook' wasn't working. And my location/language/keyboard is English GB/UK

• Dom_1P
    Dom_1P
    1Password Alumni

We are still working on a solution for indexing. We have to be very careful with the sensitive nature of your data. So we haven't nailed that down yet. All processing is currently done as you type. We are working on usage based relevancy, so it will eventually learn as you search for and use items.

Off the bat I wasn't able to replicate the miss for 'MacBook' but I will continue to test and see what I can find.

Thank you for the valuable feedback!

• tomekkopczuk
    tomekkopczuk
    Community Member

Just to add to the conversation - I'm consistently finding myself having to go back to 1P7 to find the items I'm looking for.

I'm pretty confident something's wrong with both indexing itself (not real full text search anymore - I think) and the fields that are being searched (eg. application names are not being searched at all I'm sure).

Usage based relevancy is cool, but for sorting the items. Not sure how that's going to help getting them to show at all.

I'm personally storing tonnes of items I'm using once per year or so - 1P8 makes finding them impossible - I'm concerned that usage based relevancy, if used for indexing, will probably make it even worse.

Full text search over all fields, with reasonable weights set to certain fields is what I'd personally expect.

• Dom_1P
    Dom_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @tomekkopczuk,

Could you let elaborate on what it is you are searching for and what isn't coming up? We also search different fields depending on which search you are using. Quick Find is limited to 8 items and appears in a small menu below the search box. Full Search (which searches every field) expands the results into the item list and will show everything that it matched.

• tomekkopczuk
    tomekkopczuk
    Community Member

@Dom_1P My most common issue I can put my finger on can be reproduced as follows.

Simple issue that can be solved by smart indexing:
    1) Imagine "tomek+swg_cat_prod_ci@example.com" as the value for any of the fields.
    2) Type cat in the search.
    3) Nothing pops up.

More complex, but just as common (for me) issue that cannot be solved by smart indexing:
    1) Imagine "tomek+swgcatprodci@example.com" as the value for any of the fields.
    3) Nothing pops up.

All of the issues I'm having boil down to those easily reproducible examples really.
    In real life it can be me looking for bits of title, bits of account id, bits of the app name. Whatever I vaguely remember.

--

PS: Please let me choose to go back to immediate filtering over all fields in the search box in full 1P client. I know it's probably too far along to just get rid of QS and go back to the mini-1p-in-the-tray-which-was-awesome.

I find Quick Search absolutely useless how it is now (multiple reasons mentioned already in different posts by different people, summing up - 1) doesn't work properly in the current nightly - focus / behavior / performance, et al, you can fix that, 2) it doesn't search through everything 3) it doesn't show me details 4) any action apart from "open and fill" takes more clicks - which is btw my least used option ever - I usually copy passwords / fields / TOTP - but I do often have more than one password field, hence I can't depend on the yet another key combo to remember, 5) doesn't show context-specific items right there at open).

So when I open 1Password and filter there - what do I get - ha, search box behaves exactly like Quick Search.

Let me filter the whole list like 1P7 did, right as I type. That was productive. I could quickly find narrow down to a couple, and by a few key strokes find the exact thing I need from ages ago, or from now. It was really good.

Not even mentioning the fact that clicking on a vault doesn't have any effect on filtering the search - it's the dropdown thing that does it.

I find all of this quite entertaining, as you kinda swapped the best of 1P7 functionality for worse UX versions for god knows what reasons. With twice as big fonts, but that's another story.

Seriously, great praise for the engineers, as I mentioned before, great job making the best Electron app out there.
    But the redesign and product side of 1P8 IMO sucks big time, and I'm very eager to see how you get out of this mess :)

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member

I know I am tagging on the end to an existing thread so hopefully I will not confuse things, but I am finding the search is not case sen sensitive but this has highlighted that tags are case sensitive, this seems very odd and very inconsistent to behaviour I see in other applications that use tags or keywords. Is there a plan to address this?

• tomekkopczuk
    tomekkopczuk
    Community Member

My most common issue I can put my finger on can be reproduced as follows.

Simple issue that can be solved by smart indexing:
    1) Imagine "tomek+swg_cat_prod_ci@example.com" as the value for any of the fields.
    3) Nothing pops up.

More complex, but just as common (for me) issue that cannot be solved by smart indexing:
    1) Imagine "tomek+swgcatprodci@example.com" as the value for any of the fields.
    3) Nothing pops up.

All of the issues I'm having boil down to those easily reproducible examples really.
    In real life it can be me looking for bits of title, bits of account id, bits of the app name. Whatever I vaguely remember.

--

PS: Please let me choose to go back to immediate filtering over all fields in the search box in full 1P client. I know it's probably too far along to just get rid of QS and go back to the mini-1p-in-the-tray-which-was-awesome.

I find Quick Search absolutely useless how it is now (multiple reasons mentioned already in different posts by different people, summing up - 1) doesn't work properly in the current nightly - focus / behavior / performance, et al, you can fix that, 2) it doesn't search through everything 3) it doesn't show me details 4) any action apart from "open and fill" takes more clicks - which is btw my least used option ever - I usually copy passwords / fields / TOTP - but I do often have more than one password field, hence I can't depend on the yet another key combo to remember).

So when I open 1Password and filter there - what do I get - ha, search box behaves exactly like Quick Search.

Let me filter the whole list like 1P7 did, right as I type. That was productive. I could quickly find narrow down to a couple, and by a few key strokes find the exact thing I need from ages ago, or from now. It was really good.

Not even mentioning the fact that clicking on a vault doesn't have any effect on filtering the search - it's the dropdown thing that does it.

I find all of this quite entertaining, as you kinda swapped the best of 1P7 functionality for worse UX versions for god knows what reasons. With twice as big fonts, but that's another story.

Seriously, great praise for the engineers, as I mentioned before, great job making the best Electron app out there.
    But the redesign and product side of 1P8 IMO sucks big time, and I'm very eager to see how you get out of this mess :)

• Thanks for the feedback @tomekkopczuk.

Let me filter the whole list like 1P7 did, right as I type.

Could you you tell me a bit more about your use case? What are you typically trying to accomplish when you search in the desktop app?

• tomekkopczuk
    tomekkopczuk
    Community Member

@Mitch happy to elaborate.

In general, unsurprisingly I guess, looking for a password.

But I do have 2 use cases I would treat separately.

Password to your standard webpage / app / pdf document - probably the most generic 1Password use case.

1P8 here fails due to lack of context-awareness and weird list limitations (up to 8 items I think?).
    1P7 suggests just the right passwords (showing all of those that match the context in the mini).

This is most visible when looking for a PDF password (1P7 showed all the Preview-app passwords, allowing me to find the one I need for that particular document - it's fine, I've got at most 20 of those).

Another very frustrating example is MetaMask or any other Crypto wallet - 1P7 would just show the right list of passwords (also multiple wallets per one app).

Same goes for digital signature apps PINs etc.

Looking for a password I use once per year or so.

Example - I have > 20 AWS accounts, which I access eg. annually to perform eg. an audit. Because it happens rarely - I will not remember the exact title, but I do remember a part of the email, or part of some field.

So I put that into the search, and expect to get results - 1P8 lost full text search, so I usually get 0 results. With 1P7 I had 90% accuracy.

For those 10% of cases - I'd just put "AWS" in, and quickly, using arrow keys, scan through the list to find the right one by either the title or one of the fields. Or just continue typing "AWS bel" to get any AWS-related item that has "bel" in any of the fields. That was excellent.

With 1P8 Quick Search the list is item limited, and doesn't show details.
    With full 1P8 - instead of filtering the full list like in 1P7, I get what really is just another Quick Search, which is, apologies for bluntness, the most ludicrous change I've ever seen. No idea what was supposed to be the advantage here - if I wanted QS I'd open QS. I wouldn't though, because of all the reasons above - QS's quite bad IMO, mini was Quick, QS isn't.

• Thanks for elaborating @tomekkopczuk. On the subject of context awareness, do you mean in the app's main window? I ask because 1Password 7 doesn't have context awareness in the main window, only in mini. What would you think about having it in the main window as well?

For the second use case, 1P8 has a full search option which includes all fields and lets you preview the results. You can get to it from the search field by choosing "Show all matching items" or pressing Command-Return. It should provide similar results to 1Password 7 -- please let me know if it doesn't or if it doesn't fit in your workflow.

Search is one of those features I expect we'll be refining for some time to come, so your feedback on this early beta is really appreciated!

• tomekkopczuk
    tomekkopczuk
    Community Member

@Mitch

Re: Context Awareness - correct, in the tray mini 1P7.

Not so sure about the need for context filtering in the main window.

I personally use it (in 1P7) only when all other means fail, so I'd hesitate to add any implicit filters that wouldn't be immediately obvious.
    Under the vision of - main window - here's everything, search away, filter however you'd like!

Re: second use case
    As for the "Show all matching items" option - two issues:

1) Main issue - full text search doesn't work there (nor anywhere else).

It's based on some non-full-text index that doesn't allow to search for anything else than a prefix or a suffix (with a hack to treat mid-word uppercase characters as a word delimiter, which was a smart idea, but it's by far not good enough).

2) The UX of this search sucks big time.

a) I can't just type to search in real time over all fields - I'd have to type something, hit cmd+ret, type more, hit cmd+ret, etc.

b) Add to that the need to filter vaults by this weird dropdown instead of just clicking the vault or account on the sidebar.

I mean - you could overcome this problem with those "features", but the UX is so frustratingly worse (in terms of time / number of actions to achieve result) now than it used to be, it's painful, and I absolutely do not look forward to using 1P now - which is the exact opposite to what I felt with 1P7 (apart from long time to unlock, thanks for working on this in 1P8, great stuff, UX-wise the only positive change I noticed).

All those new features seem more like patches to fix a broken UX instead of a consistent vision for new UX - personal opinion.

Sincere apologies for bashing the product / UX team on a public forum, which I wouldn't normally do, knowing that those poor folk are reading this - but I'm not sure if, when you're this far committed, I can do anything less to perhaps in some way influence reconsidering this course.

Loved the app before, but this new UX changes everything - I don't feel the app is doing work for me, it's rather the other way around now.

This discussion has been closed.