Security in a public Wi-Fi network

Mattis
Mattis
Community Member

Good evening everyone,

I have a question regarding security with 1Password on a public Wi-Fi network.

I have a situation coming up where I need to be on a public Wi-Fi network with my MacBook and iPad. Unfortunately, I don't have the option of using a VPN service or my personal hotspot.

Do I need to worry about the security of my passwords in 1Password? For example, if I were to create a new object with 1Password? What about encryption? My 1Password vault is always secure, whether the network is public or private, right?

I look forward to your answers

Thanks for reading
Mattis

1Password Version: 1Password 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Big Sur & iPadOS 15

Comments

• Hello @Mattis! 👋

Whether you're using a private WiFi network or a public WiFi network your 1Password data is encrypted not only on your device but in-transit between your device and 1Password.com.

Including end-to-end encryption your 1Password data is encrypted using three different layers of encryption to ensure that it is protected:

1. TLS Encryption.
    2. Secure Remote Password (SRP) authentication and session encryption.
    3. The core end-to-end 256-bit AES encryption.

You can read more about encryption here: Three layers of encryption keeps you safe when SSL/TLS fails

AES and TLS encryption ensures that your data cannot be read by anyone snooping on a public Wifi network and SRP ensures that your data is only sent to the real genuine 1Password.com server and not an imposter.

Let me know if that helps. :)

• Mattis
    Mattis
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

Thank you, :chuffed: @Dave_1P

• @Mattis

It's my pleasure. I'm happy that I could help. :)

This discussion has been closed.