Masked Email

Comments

• chris55
    chris55
    Community Member

It is indeed!

I'm not seeing the option though on Safari for Mac, 1Password 8 early access. Its there on iOS through the browser extension.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I do have it in on Safari for Mac (with 1Password 8 Early Access).

Are you using the latest Safari extension? (2.1.0)

• Uncle
    Uncle
    Community Member

This requires you to log into 1Password.com to enable the integration, does this mean this will only work if you have that kind of account (ie, not a standalone license)?

• chris55
    chris55
    Community Member

No I wasn't using 2.1.0 😀 I looked for an update in the App Store and there wasn't one! Updated now and al working

• Glad to hear that @chris55. :) @Uncle yes; this integration requires both a 1Password membership and a Fastmail account.

Ben

• mcj
    mcj
    Community Member

I like this feature and am trying it out. One enhancement request - it would be nice to be able to generate a new masked email address within the edit screen on an existing login entry, for the purpose of quickly generating a new address to update your existing account rather than signing up for a new one. I imagine this as being similar to the "Create a new password" dropdown that exists today, but "Create a new masked email address" or whatever.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2021

@mcj

For sure. I'd benefit greatly from that as well. I've been manually doing something similar to what this feature provides for years, so it would be super helpful to have a way to go back through and quickly replace all of that manual work with new masked emails integrated with Fastmail. I believe we've already got a request filed for this but if not I'll file one. Either way, I'll be happy to add your voice to such a request.

Ben

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#933

• mcj
    mcj
    Community Member

@Ben appreciated!

• :+1: :)

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

+1 for that request.

Would be really useful if/when I decide to change all my credentials.

• Fresco
    Fresco
    Community Member

This is a nice feature. Very nice, indeed. Very happy with it :)
    However, I made 50 masked email addresses in the last 24 hours. Wanting to make #51, I got a message saying there is a 5 masked email addresses limit per 24 hours. What is the meaning of this limit? It makes no sense at all; it will only take me a few days more until I have all the masked email addresses I want.
    And what is the total amount of masked email addresses you can make?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Did you get this limit from Fastmail or 1Password?

(I want to convert hundreds of existing credentials...)

• Fresco
    Fresco
    Community Member

I got this limit from Fastmail, for sometimes you have to make a masked email address manually. However, when I wanted to subscribe to a newsletter and 1Password offered me to generate a masked email address, I also got the message that my limit for today had been reached. As I want to convert more than a hundred credentials, too, I am also interested if there is a general limit.
    As a beta tester of macOS Monterey, I noticed that Apple's new feature "Hide my e-mail address" initially had a limit of 100 inputs, in the latest beta, however, this limit has been lifted.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

I don't use FastMail. Maybe you can work together with other companies like mailbox.org in Germany, too? ;)

• Fresco
    Fresco
    Community Member

As far as I know, with mailbox.org you can make lots of aliases (not masked email addresses). However, whether you can send messages from these aliases I don't know. For that you may need to setup a custom domain, at least, if you own a domain.

• zero_builders
    zero_builders
    Community Member

I had mailbox.org for years. What I remember is that they had disposable email addresses that, unless you manually renewed, expired after some time. You can create aliases, but it's a finite number depending on the plan you have.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Thanks @Fresco & @zero_builders for clarifying. :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I think this feature might have heavily benefited from JMAP, a protocol invented by Fastmail and probably not implemented/used by any other email provider (yet?).

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Good to know @XIII ! :+1:

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

After watching this video I wonder:

Will Watchtower check all masked emails at HIBP?

Probably not, but would be great if you add that!

I hope the integration proves we own the email address and Troy is a fan of your masked email…

• @XIII

Will Watchtower check all masked emails at HIBP?

Currently, it will not. But that would be pretty cool! We have an open feature request to have Watchtower check multiple emails. I'll be sure to add your mark to the list of users who would like to see this become a reality.

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#391

• thirsytlizard
    thirsytlizard
    Community Member

I think this feature might have heavily benefited from JMAP, a protocol invented by Fastmail and probably not implemented/used by any other email provider (yet?).

If jmap is the key reason for integrating with Fastmail, I can understand that. Otherwise, it would be great to expand the work with other email host, such as startmail. Startmail allows standard users to create unlimited numbers of aliases

• jqxfxiva
    jqxfxiva
    Community Member

If jmap is the key reason for integrating with Fastmail, I can understand that. Otherwise, it would be great to expand the work with other email host, such as startmail.

But it doesn't work that way. The email provider must have the ability to generate random "aliases" (preferably on they own domain) and, more important, they must provide an API for that. Like Fastmail did with their JMAP.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I’m in doubt what to do: use @fastmail.com (more privacy) or a custom domain (less dependent on Fastmail)?

• Fresco
    Fresco
    Community Member

@ag_chantelle
    Count me in for the Watchtower feature, too.

• jqxfxiva
    jqxfxiva
    Community Member

@XIII, it's always your decision. I use my own domain only for important accounts. For other I use FM - if I'll stop using FM, then I just change email / create another account.

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

Great initiative.

+1 for integration with the 1Password app and not just the browser extension.

What about integration with logins on apps on iOS?

Any plans for integration with Hide My Email on iOS 15 (if Apple allows such a thing)?

• @XIII If you're asking for opinions — I'll be using my own domain for portability reasons. Also because it is shorter and easier to type. :)

@Penelope Pitstop The masked email feature is already available on iOS 15 with the 1Password for Safari extension. I'm not aware of any plans with Apple (I don't believe they offer any APIs for Hide My Email).

Ben

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

@Ben, just to be clear, when an iOS app offers you the opportunity to create an account and you tap on the Passwords button on top of the keyboard, is that using the Safari extension or is that something different?

I haven't been able to get this feature to work anywhere yet, but it maybe because I already have accounts or the app/web must somehow identify the field as expecting an email.

• just to be clear, when an iOS app offers you the opportunity to create an account and you tap on the Passwords button on top of the keyboard, is that using the Safari extension or is that something different?

That would be Apple's Password AutoFill / Hide My Email feature and is separate from 1Password for Safari.

I haven't been able to get this feature to work anywhere yet, but it maybe because I already have accounts or the app/web must somehow identify the field as expecting an email.

Please also double check that you've enabled the 1Password for Safari extension:

Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

Ben

This discussion has been closed.