How can I make it stop??

Options

1Password 7 brought an annoying new "feature" -- when I'm on a web page with information to fill out, it keeps popping up this little box trying to fill in suggestions, which as often as not, is wrong. So I type in what it should be, and then the next box, same thing again. In addition, a popup often comes up "Unlock 1Password" but it's buggy. Clicking the blue button in the popup does nothing. So I go to my browser extension button and type in my master password there, yet the popup on the webpage won't disappear, even after clicking it again. How can I turn off this unwanted and annoying feature so that I don't have to fight with it? I don't know what the name of this feature is; I tried turning off "Show inline menu in Safari," thinking that might do the trick, but it doesn't.

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6

Comments

• sumptersmartt
    sumptersmartt
    Community Member
    Options

It's so bad and keeps getting worse, I am really regretting paying for this product at all.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey there,

It sounds like the extension in your browser may have lost its connection with the desktop app, which is why the "Unlock 1Password" button is unresponsive.
    You can get things working again by restarting 1Password and the browser:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit 1Password Completely".
    2. Quit your browser by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open the browser and test if it is working properly.

As for the inline menu's constant appearance - 1Password will show the inline menu automatically when you focus into a field that 1Password can help you autofill, such as a username field, password field, email, street address, zip code, credit card number etc. It is really handy in most cases.

However, if you find the inline menu too intrusive, you can definitely tone it down. If you're using Safari, here's how:

1. Open and unlock the 1Password 7 desktop app.
    2. Click the "1Password" menu on the top left next to the Apple logo and select "Preferences".
    3. In the preferences window that pops up, Select the "Browsers" tab and turn off the "Automatically show inline menu when selecting a field" option.

After you turn that off, the inline menu won't open on its own again. You will need to click the little 1Password icon on the right side of each field to show that menu.

I hope that will improve your experience and workflow :)

• iMacIIuser
    iMacIIuser
    Community Member
    Options

I tried restarting the 1Password Mini and at least so far it seems that has helped somewhat with the issue with the unresponsive "Click to activate 1Password." There are times that things get confused, where I click the 1Password icon in the upper right of the browser, and another window will pop up to "Open 1Password" when that's what I'm trying to do, but that new window gets in the way.

As for the second issue, the key factor here is that it ONLY works in Safari. I use several browsers, including Safari, each for different purposes (all related to various functions of my job). I did turn it off in Safari and am so happy to be rid of that nuisance. However, the browser where I most need for this feature to be turned off is Firefox, since I do a lot of testing in Firefox with test users and accounts, and every time, 1Password keeps getting in my way trying to suggest MY information and it's not what I want. Or it wants me to create new 1Password items to store, but I don't want to -- I'm just testing. How soon will it be before we can see the ability to turn off the "Automatically show inline menu when selecting a field" in other browsers, also?

Today another new annoyance began to appear, also in Firefox. When I'm at a website and click the 1Password icon in the upper right, it used to be ready for me to hit "Autofill." Now instead, it wants to put in a NEW password. I have to click the current website in the list and then choose "Autofill" to have it fill the existing password. So what used to be one step is now two steps. Plus, with the habit of just clicking one step to Autofill, I'm afraid I'm going to forget and create a new password unintentionally.

I've had 1Password since 1Password 2 and have been enthusiastic about it, but it seems in recent months it's losing its user friendliness, mostly due to these aspects of 1Password getting in the way instead of being helpful.

• Hi @iMacIIuser:

You can disable the inline menu in 1Password in your other browsers as well. To do that, right click the 1Password icon in the browser, select Settings, then turn off the "Show autofill menu on field focus" option.

As for your other annoyance, can you confirm that 1Password in Firefox is set to "Suggestions"? To do so, open the 1Password menu by clicking on the 1Password icon, and verifying that the drop down is set to "Suggestions".

• iMacIIuser
    iMacIIuser
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, I'm so glad to be able to turn that off in Firefox too! Thank you for the instructions! Now I won't be yelling at 1Password every day for getting in the way!

As for the second item, yes, it's set to Suggestions, but the first item on the list is "Generate Password," so if I just click Autofill, it will create a new one, but that should not be the default and it didn't use to be; now I have to click on a suggestion before I can click Autofill.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @iMacIIuser ,

1Password will suggest a new password when it detects a registration form or a "Change Password" form on the website you're currently visiting, which is really helpful.

But when you're on a regular login page and just want to log into your account, 1Password will not show the new password option in the autofill suggestions and one of your existing logins would be automatically selected so you can click on "autofill".

In case you're seeing a new password suggestion on a login page, let us know the URL of the website so we can test it here and fix it on this particular website.

• iMacIIuser
    iMacIIuser
    Community Member
    Options

The page is an established login page that I use multiple times daily, not an account setup page. It was never suggesting a new password until the latest update. I have sent the URL via support ticket.

• Hi @iMacIIuser:

I've located your ticket in our system, and we'll be in touch there. To avoid duplicating our conversation, I'm going to go ahead and close this thread.

Cheers!

ref: IVV-59787-266

This discussion has been closed.