Exporting TOTP codes from 1Password

Options

Comments

• brank
    brank
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a way @Aaron Pinsker to manually pull out TOTP codes once the QR code has been scanned into 1password?

• Hi @brank

The TOTP secret is stored in the item in 1Password. If you export to 1PIF these secrets will be exported (in plain text). Some 3rd party offerings have the ability to import a 1PIF. Alternatively, if the one you are trying to import into does not, you may be able to use @MrC's converter suite to convert the 1PIF to something that can be imported:
    https://1password.community/discussion/comment/494051/#Comment_494051

I hope that helps.

Ben

• brank
    brank
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Thank you, Ben. I want to explore Authee as an alternative to storing these as I move away from 1Password.

• You're welcome. :+1: :)

Ben

• Fresco
    Fresco
    Community Member
    Options

Exporting to 1PIF cannot be found in 1Password 8. It's 1PUX now, or CSV. So @MrC's converter cannot be used for exporting TOTP's.
    Anyhow, obviously, there is no way to export a TOTP token form 1Password to Safari's keychain. Some time ago, I remember, in the iOS version of 1Password in some records with TOTP enabled I was able to see the originating TOTP text string in the TOTP field that was stored after scanning the QR-code, when editing a record. Copying this string in Safari's keychain simply enabled TOTP codes in Safari. However, in the latest version of 1Password I don't see these strings anymore. The only thing I see is an otpauth://* string in the TOTP field. When I copy such a string in Safari's keychain TOTP is being enabled, but the codes don't match with the codes in 1Password. So, this won't do the trick.
    Disabling and enabling TOTP in the involved account is an option, of course (perhaps the only one, for now?), but, as you already mentioned, you cannot be sure if a TOTP text string will be presented.
    Maybe you know of another solution?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@Fresco The otpauth://* string should end with *secret=[base 32 alphanumeric secret].

I have not tried it, but what happens if you just paste the base 32 alphanumeric secret into Safari's keychain?

• Fresco
    Fresco
    Community Member
    Options

@rootzero You're right. The text string you actually need is "hidden" in the otpauth://* string. I have completely overlooked this. I have tried it with a few entries, and is it's working. Thanks (-:

• Hey @Fresco:

Glad to hear @rootzero was able to help you out (thanks for the assist!). Please get in touch if there's anything you need in the future. 🙂

Jack

This discussion has been closed.