Anyone tried out the Fastmail integration yet?

thirsytlizard
thirsytlizard
Community Member

Referring to this blog, just wondering whether anyone has tried this out and can share the experience. Does it work, is it worth the effort, etc.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• landypro
    landypro
    Community Member

Yes, I've started using it. Love the idea.

UX is extremely clunky at the moment though, especially because I'd like to go through and retrospectively update the email address of certain existing websites. It seems most of the intention so far is to support the new signup use case.

It seems the 1Password application itself has no support for generating masked emails, only the new Browser Extension.

For example, if I manually create a new Login in the iOS app or the Early Access 1Password MacOS app, there is no reference whatsoever to Masked Emails.

• thirsytlizard
    thirsytlizard
    Community Member

@landypro , agreed it is quite clunky. I have not worked out the workflow yet. Seems only able to use the masked email from web or Fastmail app. Just wondering how I can send and receive masked email on email client such as Spark. Any suggestion would be great

• landypro
    landypro
    Community Member

@thirsytlizard You can set up Fastmail to forward your Masked emails to another email address (which I have setup). However if you'd like to respond to emails using your masked email, you'd need to do it via Fastmail directly.

• thirsytlizard
    thirsytlizard
    Community Member

@landypro

However if you'd like to respond to emails using your masked email, you'd need to do it via Fastmail directly.

this is not ideal !! Would be great if I can use ONE email client to manage all email accounts including those masked. I also do not understand the role of 1Password here. How are two apps connected and what benefits ?

• landypro
    landypro
    Community Member

@thirsytlizard I honestly don't see the use case of needing to reply to an email sent to a masked email.

The use case for masked emails for me is twofold:

• I don't want certain websites to know my real email address, because I'd like to remain anonymous
    • If a website starts spamming me I can just turn off the masked email and no longer receive any more emails.

There isn't a scenario I can think of where I'd need to respond to an email.

• thirsytlizard
    thirsytlizard
    Community Member

@landypro

There isn't a scenario I can think of where I'd need to respond to an email.

I think there are cases that I need to reply (such as verifying my email address) using the masked email address and not the real email address.

Also, not able to use standard email client to reply to emails (especially e-commerce sites) could inadvertently expose my real email address. One example is that a seller wants to check whether I accept a deferred shipment by email , then I have to go back to Fastmail app to reply, very inconvenient

• thirsytlizard
    thirsytlizard
    Community Member

in addition, from a functionality perspective, I cannot tell the difference between aliases (Fastmail can support up to 600) and masked email.

Anyone knows ?

• landypro
    landypro
    Community Member

I think there are cases that I need to reply (such as verifying my email address) using the masked email address and not the real email address.

I've never had to reply to an email as a form of verification. It's usually a verification link that you click or a code that you enter. In which case forwarding certainly solves that issue.

One example is that a seller wants to check whether I accept a deferred shipment by email

I don't see much of a benefit to using a masked email in this scenario when the seller already has your personal details (name, address, credit card etc).

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Some sites will require you to send an email, via the original email used for account creation, when requesting deletion or removal of the account data.

• landypro
    landypro
    Community Member

I think in those rare cases it's not too much of an inconvenience to log in to Fastmail to do that.

• jqxfxiva
    jqxfxiva
    Community Member

@landypro, exactly. And remember that there is no email client other then Fastmail App that could get all your aliases (even on fastmail.com) and send emails from them.
    Emails don't work like that.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

It is trivial to set up a different SMTP envelope senders. And if/when necessary, configuring anti-spoofing DNS records to be valid for those senders is also easy enough, if you own/control the domain (I picked up an SMTP clue or two while run mail servers personally and professionally for about a decade).

But that wasn't my point. I was simply addressing that it is sometimes necessary to do so, and in fact, I had to do this several times in the past month to deal with closing out accounts and deleting online data. How we choose to do it wasn't the focus.

This discussion has been closed.