Installing 7.8.8.BETA-2 hangs on "Quit 1Password"

HScheving
HScheving
Community Member

When I try to run the installer for the 7.8.8.BETA-2 then when it comes to "Quit 1Password" it just gives me the infamous "spinning beach ball of death" and nothing happens.

1Password is not open, I tried to force quit any processes I could find that was running and connected to 1Password, I tried shutting down all browsers.. but always same result.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• robchandhok
    robchandhok
    Community Member

Same for me, I somehow got it to complete (I did "check for updates" and let it run), and now the app won't start. When you launch the Finder reports "The application “1Password 7.app” is not open anymore."

Catalina, latest patches. The Chrome extension still works.

• HScheving
    HScheving
    Community Member

So, I found a work around. Open 1Password and you get a modular window telling you that the beta version has expired and you should download a new version. Do not close that window, it needs to be open when you start the installing process. Then you should be able to finish the installing.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@HScheving:

1Password is not open, I tried to force quit any processes I could find that was running and connected to 1Password, I tried shutting down all browsers.. but always same result.

Out of curiosity, do you remember if 1Password mini was perhaps running in the menu bar, even if the main app was closed?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@robchandhok:

Same for me, I somehow got it to complete (I did "check for updates" and let it run), and now the app won't start. When you launch the Finder reports "The application “1Password 7.app” is not open anymore."

Can you please post a screenshot of the message?

• robchandhok
    robchandhok
    Community Member

@ag_ana That message from the Finder is just a simple dialog. I honestly don't know how the app got into that state. The root cause was, I believe, what others have reported - the installer needs some privileges and prompts for the admin password, but the dialog box opens way back in the display stack. I finally got B2 installed by going hunting for that window.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood @robchandhok, thank you for the update :+1:

This discussion has been closed.