Is there a way to remove suggestion popup from safari

Options

I'm using Safari 14.0.3 on a mac running Big Sur. I was wondering if there is a way to remove just the suggestion popup when I put my curser in a field that requires me to fill in a form? The suggestion box gets in the way. I like to have 1 password fill in the password and username when I get to a login screen but this is usually a form that I haven't signed up for yet.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.7
OS Version: 14.0.3
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:remove suggestion popup from safari

Comments

• @mcneil47

The options for the inline menu are as follows. I tend to use option 2.

1. Disable the inline menu completely. 1Password > Preferences > Browsers - Safari, uncheck the option for show inline menu. This will cause 1Password to behave as it previously did before the inline menu.

2. Disable the automatic inline menu popup. I use this on my Macs. 1Password > Preferences > Browsers - Safari - uncheck the option for "Automatically show the inline menu when selecting a field." Now, whenever you want to access the inline menu, you will need to click the 1Password icon in the field.

3. Temporarily hide the prompt until the browser is restarted or until you right-click the page and select show 1Password. When the inline menu is shown, click on "Suggestions" and select hide on this page. This is useful if you want the inline menu on other pages.

• mcneill47
    mcneill47
    Community Member
    Options

That did it! Thanks so much. I checked preferences but missed that one!

• I'm happy to hear it helped. That one is easily overlooked. :wink:

• DaBurner
    DaBurner
    Community Member
    Options

Hope this thread is not dead ?
    I also have this same problem. I tried your two methods, but one got rid of the 1P icon in the field and the other did not remove the "suggestions" option. I too find this unnecessary "suggestions" an annoyance and it does get in the way as the post above stated.
    I guess I still need some help.
    Using MBP OS11.6
    Safari 14.1.2
    1P 7.8.7

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @DaBurner ,

If you disabled 1Password's inline menu in the desktop app's preferences and you're still getting Suggestions in Safari, one of two things is happening:

• You are seeing Safari's built-in autofill suggestions, which you can turn off like so: https://support.1password.com/disable-browser-password-manager/
    • You are using "1Password for Safari" which is a standalone extension from the Mac App store. Go into Safari's preferences -> Extensions -> Turn off "1Password for Safari" and turn on the "1Password" extension instead.
  • DaBurner
    DaBurner
    Community Member
    Options

ag_yaron, My "autofill" in Safari is unchecked and I still get the "suggestions" drop down window.
    I'm sorry, but I have no idea about the second option you gave. Turning off 1Password in the Safari extension defeats the whole 1P system in Safari. Then you say turn on the 1Password extension instead. Sorry but I am confused

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My apologies for the confusion @DaBurner ,

We currently offer two different extensions in Safari:

• "1Password" - this is the extension that is bundled up inside the 1Password 7 desktop app and is installed automatically when you install 1Password 7 on your Mac.
    • "1Password for Safari" - this is a standalone extension that you can install from the Mac App Store, regardless if you have the desktop app installed or not. It does not follow the desktop app's settings/preferences and will keep showing up inside fields.

So my second suggestion was to go into Safari's preferences -> extensions, then turn off the standalone extension entitled "1Password for Safari", and turn the built-in extension entitled "1Password" back on. That way, the built-in extension will comply with the desktop app's settings.

In case you only see the "1Password" extension in Safari's preferences and it is enabled, but you're still getting suggestions from 1Password, please email us the following to support+x@1password.com:

• A diagnostics report: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/
    • A screenshot showing your Safari's preferences window while on the Extensions tab.
    • A screenshot showing your 1Password desktop app's preferences window while on the Browsers tab.
    • A screenshot showing Safari's entire window when 1Password's suggestions show up upon visiting a login page.
  • DaBurner
    DaBurner
    Community Member
    Options

Well, that explains some things. I do not have the 1Password for Safari in my extensions. Of course, this "checked" 1Password is all that I do have and working. I also downloaded your trouble shooting app and made a report which has been emailed to 1P

• DaBurner
    DaBurner
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

Just heard back from Tommy at 1P support and he informed me that I can NOT eliminate the "suggestion" drop down window and that it is all part of the inline menu.
    Sad news for all of us with this same complaint.
    I hope you tech people address this in the next update

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2021
    Options

Hey @DaBurner ,
    I checked the email you sent and I gotta say there was quite a misunderstanding here.

I was certain you are referring to the entire inline menu that shows up under fields and suggests autofilling/saving, which can be turned off in the app's settings.
    However, you meant that you only want to remove the bottom line of the inline menu where it says "Suggestions" and reveal an extra menu. That is indeed not possible in the Safari extension since that is the inline menu's design there, so it's either all off completely, or it is on as is.

Funnily enough, the "1Password for Safari" extension was designed without that "Suggestions" section, so you can give that a try if you'd like. Simply open the Mac App Store and search for "1Password for Safari" and install it. Go to Safari's preference and enable it, but don't forget to disable the other extension.

The difference here would be that 1Password for Safari won't connect to the 1Password 7 desktop app so you'll have to add your account(s) to it and unlock it with your password even if the desktop app is already unlocked.

• DaBurner
    DaBurner
    Community Member
    Options

ag_yaron
    Thanks for your help with all this, I did find it confusing.
    If you read my first post to this thread on 9/29 and the one today at 4:33, I did specifically state seeing and not wanting the"suggestions" drop down window .
    Any way, I guess I will have to live with it. It does seem strange that when 1P gets to a saved username and password web site of mine, that "suggestions" is an option, when I do not need any suggestions at all. Perhaps a update to 1P might address this concern since others have made the same complaint.

I will stay with the 1P extension I have that is working and I will not download the 1P for Safari
    Thanks again for the back and forth

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes, thanks for clarifying.
    People call the entire inline menu "suggestions" so that's why we thought you did not want the inline menu showing up at all :)

The "Suggestions" part is quite helpful in certain scenarios. You can generate a password from it or tell 1Password to not show up on that page, which is very helpful.

In any case, let's see how this turn out as time progresses :)
    We're here if you require further assistance with anything.

This discussion has been closed.