Do I need to have a Primary vault and a Personal vault?

Lorraine_
Lorraine_
Community Member

I have 2 vaults which contain the same info; my Primary vault is being synced with Dropbox, and then I have a Personal vault. I also have a 1PW account.
Questions:
1. Do I even need to be syncing to Dropbox anymore? (I've been around for a very long time, lol).
2. If not, can I just delete that "Primary" vault?
3. Can I delete either of these vaults, or somehow merge them? I really don't want to be keeping/duplicating all of the same info on 2 vaults.

Thanks!
PS. I also have 2 Firefox 1PW extensions: "1 Password - Password Manager v 2.1.0, updated 9/24/21, author 1Password, and another called "1Password extension (desktop app required)" version 4.7.5.90, updated 11/28/20, author AgileBits. Should I have both of these installed?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 version 7.8.8.BETA-2 (70808002)
Extension Version: 2.1.0
OS Version: macOS 11.6

Comments

• Hi @Lorraine_:

Glad to hear you've been enjoying 1Password for so long :chuffed:

Since you've got a 1Password account as well as your Primary vault, you can definitely wind down using your Primary vault. To do that, here's the steps:

1. Check to make sure all of your data is available on https://my.1password.com and ensure you have a copy of your Emergency Kit.

2. If needed, add your account to the device. * It may already be present. How to add your 1Password account to the apps

3. If needed copy any items from your Primary vault to your membership vault (Personal/Private) that are not already present. * Please be sure you have the most up-to-date information in your Personal vault. * You may need to do this on each device.

4. Remove the Primary vault. * You will need to do this on each device. Be sure to complete step two on any devices you have.

As for which 1Password extension to use, as we move forward, we're focusing our efforts on 1Password in the browser, the one called "1Password - Password manager", instead of "1Password extension (desktop app required)". 1Password in the browser offers the ability to generate new Logins inline, as well as take advantage of our new Masked Email integration with Fastmail: Protect your privacy with 1Password and Fastmail

Jack

• Lorraine_
    Lorraine_
    Community Member

OK, that's great! One question as far as devices: once I make sure everything's in my Personal vault, as above, can't I just remove the Primary vault from my iPhone and sync my Personal account (I'm assuming it's syncing in the cloud now, right?). Also, can I then remove all my 1PW data from my Dropbox without any worries?

• @Lorraine_:

That's exactly right. Once everything is in your 1Password account, you can remove your Dropbox vault from 1Password. I'd recommend keeping your Dropbox vault around in your Dropbox account for a bit however, just in case there's any items you've forgotten so you don't inadvertently delete them.

Jack

• Lorraine_
    Lorraine_
    Community Member

Thanks very much! :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Jack, you are welcome @Lorraine_! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Hanineal
    Hanineal
    Community Member

Is there any way to merge vaults without having to copy each individual entry? Ideally, it would leave you with a single vault. If necessary you delete any duplicates, but the idea would be to get all your entries in to one vault on the 1Password servers.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Hanineal:

Yes, you can do that. I have replied to you here :+1:

This discussion has been closed.