how to navigate relationships?

davidepochet
davidepochet
Community Member

Hi,
I just started a family plan for my family of 4 people. I have a couple of questions.
I have a girlfriend with whom I'd like to share a vault, but she also wants to create a family plan for her own family. I read that the family plan supports up to 5 users, would it be possible to have more? for how much more?
if she starts a family plan with her family, could we still have a shared vault for the two of us even if we'd be on different family accounts?

thanks for your help

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• joshua_1p
    edited September 2021

Hey @davidepochet

Hi,
    I just started a family plan for my family of 4 people. I have a couple of questions.
    I have a girlfriend with whom I'd like to share a vault, but she also wants to create a family plan for her own family. I read that the family plan supports up to 5 users, would it be possible to have more? for how much more?

1Password Family accounts support five members (including yourself) at no extra charge. You can have more than five members, but for each additional member past the 5 member threshold will be an extra $1 USD per user per month.

if she starts a family plan with her family, could we still have a shared vault for the two of us even if we'd be on different family accounts?

You can both have your own 1Password Family accounts without any issues. However, in order to share data via a Shared vault, you will need to be attached to her 1Password Family account or she will need to be attached to your 1Password Family account. You can only share data with those who are associated the 1Password Family account.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• davidepochet
    davidepochet
    Community Member

Thanks for the answer!

You can both have your own 1Password Family accounts without any issues. However, in order to share data via a Shared vault, you will need to be attached to her 1Password Family account or she will need to be attached to your 1Password Family account. You can only share data with those who are associated the 1Password Family account.

Meaning that if she starts a family account separated by mine there is no way we can share a vault for common accounts?

• davidepochet
    davidepochet
    Community Member

Also, coming from LastPass something that was very useful was the ability to create a shared vault and decide who can just read it, read and write in it and who can't even see it. No matter if someone is the admin of the family or not.
    that does not seem to be possible, how hard would it be to implement?
    I want to create a shared vault with my sister in the family without having my brother (who's family admin alongside me for recovering purposes) being able to even see it.

thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@davidepochet:

Meaning that if she starts a family account separated by mine there is no way we can share a vault for common accounts?

That is correct, unless you first invite each other as users to each other's account. But if you do this, at this point you would not need separate accounts anymore.

that does not seem to be possible, how hard would it be to implement?

You can already do this :+1: To share a vault:

1. On 1Password.com, Click Vaults in the sidebar, then click the name of the vault you want to share.
    2. Click Manage in the People section.
    3. Select or deselect the people you want to share the vault with, then click Update Family Members.

Now everyone you’ve shared the vault with can view and edit items in it.

• davidepochet
    davidepochet
    Community Member

You can already do this :+1: To share a vault:

On 1Password.com, Click Vaults in the sidebar, then click the name of the vault you want to share.
    Click Manage in the People section.
    Select or deselect the people you want to share the vault with, then click Update Family Members.
    Now everyone you’ve shared the vault with can view and edit items in it.

I'll try to explain myself better: let's say that there are three people in a family account, person A, person B and person C.
    Now, A and B are family organizers, C is a regular family member.

Let's say that A creates a shared vault with C. B can still see the vault, cannot see the items in it but can easily change the settings and give themselves access to this shared vault.

I think the better solution would be that only the people that have access to the vault can even see the vault, no matter if they are family organizers or regular family members.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@OlivierP and @davidepochet - thanks for the lively discussion! It's not so much a function of recovery of this particular vault; it has more to do with the fact that any group account (whether for a family, team or business) should have more than one Organizer/Administrator/Owner who has Recovery permission. If there is only one such person, then the entire family/team's account is at risk should that person forget their account password or lose their Secret Key. In a 1Password Business account, it is possible to give people Recovery permissions without making them what is essentially an Owner. But in 1Password Families that is not the case.

1Password Families is different than any of our other account models. Individual accounts are (comparatively) easy: it's just one person, who is Owner, Admin and sole user of the account; there are no entanglements with sharing or other users' permissions. And in Teams and Business accounts, typically an employer will pay for everyone's access, just as they do for company email, etc -- as part of the tools necessary to do the job. So it's understood that access to these vaults is at the discretion and under the organization of the employer, not the individual. There are exceptions (partnerships, etc), but in general those can be managed by the more-advanced permissions found in the Teams and Business offerings. But 1Password Business is also priced at $7.99/mo per user, which is what gets you those more-advanced permissions and flexibility.

1Password Families is without question our most-economical offering: for less than the price of two individual accounts (or a single business account user), you can have up to five users, while taking advantage of many of the features of Teams/Business: unlimited configuration of sharing, individual Private vaults, and more. But the administrative capabilities are not as unlimited. There are no Owner/Administrator/Member divisions, only Family Organizer (which is the equivalent of Owner, with full privileges) and Member. The 1Password Families model also assumes a certain amount of trust between members that is not relevant for Individual account and not necessarily expected in work (Teams/Business) settings. While we understand that Families come in all sizes and configurations, it's worth remembering that even a Family Organizer cannot by default see the contents of vaults created by other family members to which the Organizer was not invited. Yes, they could add themselves, and view the contents. But that's the "trust" issue I mentioned. Someone with Family Organizer powers could also simply delete any other user. For anyone who is part of a family structure where they feel it's prudent to require no possibility whatsoever of a Family Organizer viewing certain items or being able to delete their account without notice or consent, I'd suggest an additional Individual account.

This discussion has been closed.