Desktop App Frustration

Options

Team,

Long time LastPass user, signed up for 1Password to see if it resolved some of the niggles I dislike about LastPass. Good news is it does.

Bad news is the Desktop app is frustrating in a way that could be a deal breaker.

Some sore points to consider for update:

1. The [ + ] button is hidden in plain sight. I don't come into the desktop often, so I don't have the layout memorized. When I need to add a new site manually for whatever reason, I root around trying to figure out where the 'new site' function is. The button is too small and too neutrally colored. Desktop apps have all the real estate in the world to work with, it's not necessary to make what is ostensibly the core function of the tool a small, indistinct button. Make it bigger. Make it blue. Change the [ + ] to [ New Item ].
  2. Duplicate more functionality in the window level menu. If for some reason I can't find the [ + ] button, I should be able to go to the 1Password menu and see New Item listed. If there's any functionality that is not entirely context dependant, it should be accessible from the Menu. Users look to menus as the 'last resort' listing of actions. It should not be treated as a separate set of actions unto itself.
  3. Made the Edit button more obvious, just like the new button. For better or worse, modern web UI development (i.e. Google) has trained us to look at the bottom of the record for action buttons. This includes new, save, edit, etc. If you don't want to move the button, make it more obtrusive.
  4. The fields on the record itself, while in edit mode, need borders. I spent a ludicrous amount of time clicking in and around the "username" field trying to figure out where I had to click to get a text box to appear. That's a very bad user experience. When in edit mode, all editable fields should be standard, bordered, white background text boxes. It should be obvious and unambiguous where the text should go. Don't try to be clever with fade-in/fade-out text boxes or borders within borders.

The Chrome plugin has a better look and feel to it than the desktop app. But the plugin opens the app, so interacting with the desktop is unavoidable. If that's how the functionality is going to work going forward, the desktop app has to keep pace. Use modern UX idioms and make sure your UI elements and window design follow patterns and behaviors that users have learned and integrated into their muscle memory as a result of modern websites. Not doing so frustrates your users and makes changing from your competitors more difficult.

Thanks for reading. 99% of the app is great, I'm glad I decided to try it out.

-- Kevin

p.s. this topic doesn't need discussion or reply, it can be closed by the mods.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

This discussion has been closed.