The New Design for 1PX

Options

Why is the font and everything so big now? Why do Suggestions and its container take up so much space? Why are credit cards missing AGAIN (I already know why, it's the MINIMAL EVERYTHING fanbase, I still hate it, I wish we could have an OPTION as the credit card fill-in via the popup is still more reliable than the in-line one). Why does the NYT sign-in website, which has one of those annoying please enter your email before we show the password box designs, now no longer suggest properly on the email box and instead show a suggestion to fill in my personal email which is not the email attached to my NYT account as it is paid for by work and thus under the work address?

I understand this is whinging, but I feel like 1PX UI keeps changing all the time and not in obviously better ways (I know you renamed it from X, but 1PX is a lot shorter than 1Password in the Browser). There also seems to be the push to seem "smarter" and more "predictive" with your inline suggestions that are seemingly bizarrely decoupled from how the main fill in works (hence the credit card issues), but unfortunately, you cannot outsmart crap design patterns/code so making using the pop-up more frustrating is annoying.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2021
    Options

Hey @andmade ,
    Thank you for the feedback here!

Most of the changes you wrote about were implemented due to other users feedback. Specifically, users complained that:

• The font was too small.
    • The suggestions filter was too small and it wasn't clear you could click it or change it.
    • Credit cards showed up in suggestions ALL THE TIME, EVERYWHERE.
    • Need an option to autofill specific fields from identities/credit cards, e.g. just the email and not the entire identity item.

Etc.

I'm sorry to hear you don't like these changes, I will forward your feedback to the team.
    As for the NYT website, it is both a registration form and a login form, so 1Password suggests possible emails/usernames from your identity items. We can definitely improve this here to suggest login items so I'll file it internally for our developers to handle. Thanks for pointing that out!

If you have any further feedback or pain points that you experience, feel free to share.
    Thank you kindly.

ref: dev/core/core#10413

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

I guess it depends on the person. I already run my monitor at 150% zoom on 1080p resolution, so the font was okay for me and now it is cartoonishly large. While not great on the pop-up extension, it is way too large on the dropdown. This is particularly true given that the identity form field suggestions now seem overly aggressive (this NYT issue is new) or harder to ignore now that the font/dropdown are giant. I have issues with my address being suggested in the City field on Concur reports and worse, the option to "Hide 1Password on This Page" was completely grayed out, so I couldn't remove the 1P icon from the field either. I think at this point I will simply have to disable the dropdowns completely because it is causing more issues than solving any.

Credit card suggestions showing all the time was actually comforting for me because I knew it would always be there in the event 1P's detection failed. The dropdown is not perfect and the pop-up being a "failsafe" of sorts was great. I guess time will tell how well the pop-up realizes I need to fill in a credit card, especially now that I am disabling the dropdowns.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the additional valuable feedback here @andmade .
    Using 150% zoom level as default is not something we took into consideration so I'll forward that bit to the devs as well, see if there's anything we can do about it.

The inline menu will now detect more fields that are related to your identity item (e.g. an email field, an address/city/street etc) and will suggest autofilling only that field without applying the entire identity item on the entire form. If you feel that's too aggressive, you can definitely disable the suggestions menu in the extension's settings for now as we keep adjusting and improving 1Password to handle more websites correctly.

Thanks again for the input and feedback! It is most helpful.

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron

Is there any update on when the regression in the log-in/filling behavior is going to be fixed? I tested out adding a work identity to see if it improved the dropdown experience and....not really. You have to

1. Scroll down to the right info
    2. press enter
    3. Press enter again at the prompt confirming you want to fill in details
    4. Press enter to continue so the password field shows up
    5. Select the login item
    6. Press enter
    7. Press enter again to submit

Consrast with before where it was

1. Scroll down to the right info
    2. Press enter
    3. Press enter to continue so the password field shows up
    4. Press enter to submit (the password already being filled in)

There are now 3 additional steps as a result of the regression. I am using the popup (with steps: 1. keyboard shortcut, 2. Press enter on login item, 3. Press enter so password field shows up, 4. Press enter to submit), but 1P seems to champion the dropdown and touts it as a big part of the appeal of the web extension over the prior mini/pop-up so I'm a little surprised this regression continues to persist a month and a half later.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @andmade ,
    Thanks for checking in on this.

When you autofill with an identity item, it will not autofill multi-steps login pages (e.g. when there's a separate page for the username and then the password). Only login items can be autofilled throughout different pages with one autofill action.

The issue here is a bit more complexed than simply fixing that function on a specific website as multiple websites are affected. We're looking into the best course of action in a manner that would keep the current look and functions of 1Password but would still suggest the right things on login pages. That is no simple task :)

My apologies for the inconvenience here, I can definitely see how this is disruptive to your workflow. In the meantime, I suggest you autofill your login entry from the extension's window and do not try to autofill an identity from the inline suggestions under the fields when they suggest an identity.

This discussion has been closed.