Masked Email Fails

MikeA01730
MikeA01730
Community Member
edited October 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi,

I tried the new 1Password/Fastmail Masked Email feature but couldn't get it to work. I'm running Windows 10 and am already a 1P, Fastmail, and Firefox user. I plan to use the feature from the Firefox 1P add-on.

I followed the instructions and all went well. The connection between Fastmail and 1P was done without a hitch and I received emails informing me that I'd signed into 1P from Firefox and that 1P is connected to Fastmail. In the Fastmail settings for Masked Email the screen says 1P is connected and everything appears to be in order. The 1P Firefox add-on is installed and otherwise works.

When I tried to create a new login (at mail.zoho.com) it didn't work, or to be more specific there was no evidence it was there. When I click in the email field no popup appears. When I click the 1P toolbar icon I get the usual 1P extension popup, but there's nothing new there. Right-clicking in the field displays a pull-down menu with one 1P entry, and when I click that I get the same 1P extension popup. No matter what I do I never see the popup inviting me to create masked email.

What do I need to do to invoke Masked Email?

Thanks,
Mike

1Password Version: 7.7.819
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• Hi @MikeA01730:

Thanks for writing in about this. Using Masked Emails requires using 1Password in the browser and is not available in the classic extension. To avoid having the two extensions conflict, after installing 1Password in the browser, please uninstall the classic extension.

After you've installed 1Password in the browser, you can follow this guide to use Masked Emails: https://support.1password.com/fastmail/

Cheers!

• MikeA01730
    MikeA01730
    Community Member

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the help.

I Installed the extension you linked to and uninstalled the old extension. It still didn't work. I uninstalled the new extension & reinstalled with the same result. I rebooted, neither extension was there, so I reinstalled again, and it worked.

However now there's another issue. My wife has been getting messages from 1P saying "Your 1Password account was just used to sign in from 1Password for Firefox." I get the messages too, which makes sense, but there's no reason my wife should be getting them. My wife uses Fastmail and 1P but not Firefox, and she has not signed up for Masked Email. These messages seem to occur when I'm testing Masked Emails.

When my wife clicks on the link to Manage Devices (in 1P) and looks at Integrations she sees a Fastmail button, and when she clicks on that it invites her to "Set up Masked Email - Connect 1Password with Fastmail". In her Fastmail account under /Settings/Masked Mail it shows no connection. In my 1P account it shows me connected to Fastmail, and under my Fastmail account it also shows that I'm connected to 1P. So it appears that even though my wife's 1P and Fastmail accounts say that they are not connected for Masked Email some part of 1P does think there's a connection, and so sends these bogus emails.

How do I fix this?

Thanks,
    Mike

• Hi @MikeA01730,

It sounds like you might have Shared Lock State enabled in 1Password in your browser on your Firefox install. With Shared Lock State enabled, 1Password in the browser will use all 1Password accounts that are available in 1Password for Windows. Do you and your wife share the same computer account and have both of your 1Password accounts in 1Password for Windows?

If you'd like to prevent this from occurring in the future while continuing to share a single computer account, open 1Password in the browser's settings (right click the 1Password icon in Firefox's toolbar, select Settings), then disable "Integrate with 1Password app".

Jack

• MikeA01730
    MikeA01730
    Community Member

Hi Jack,

That seems to fix the problem, but it also seems to disable Masked Emails which was what I was originally wanted to use.

Isn't there some way to just use my vault?

Can I disable the email messages about Firefix signing on to 1Password?

Thanks,
    Mike

• Hi @MikeA01730:

Thanks for getting back to me. It sounds like after disabling Shared Lock State, you have been signed out of all your 1Password accounts in the extension. If you return to the 1Password in the browser's settings, are you shown as signed in to your 1Password account at the bottom of the settings page? If you're not, please sign into your 1Password account there.

Jack

• MikeA01730
    MikeA01730
    Community Member

Jack,

The more I try to use the new FF extension the more confused I get. First, please tell me if each of the the following are true:

• To use the new Masked Email feature I need to use the new FF extension ver. 2.1.0 (instead of the old extension ver. 4.7.5.90).
    • The new extension requires that I login to 1P every time I start my browser (or the first time I use 1P in FF), and that behavior cannot be disabled.
    • Each time I log into 1P from the FF extension I get a "you just logged in" email, and those emails cannot be disabled.

Is all that true? If so then I have a problem. I go into and out of FF many times every day. For me it's unacceptable that I must login to 1P pretty much every time I want to use it. I'll stay with the old extension.

Your Getting Started web page at https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/ describes how to use the new extension but not its drawbacks. I spent way more time than I planned figuring these out before I figured out that it was inappropriate for me. I suggest that your web site list both the benefits and the drawbacks so your customers don't waste their time figuring this out.

Thanks,
    Mike

• @MikeA01730:

1Password writes some necessary files (including settings) to Firefox's local storage, so the following may affect its settings and the general functionality of the extension:

• If clearing cache every time the browser closes, it may delete the extension's settings.
    • If clearing cookies every time the browser closes, it may delete the extension's settings.
    • If "Always use private browsing" is turned on, it may prevent the extension from initializing and make it non-operational.

To to answer your three questions:
    1. Yes, that is correct, 1Password in the browser is the only way to generate Masked Emails. 1Password Classic is no longer being developed and 1Password in the browser is the way forward.
    2. If Firefox has not been configured with any of the history clearing settings enabled as above, no, you do not have to sign in to 1Password in the browser on every launch.
    3. Every new sign in (which in the case of clearing history as above will be every launch of Firefox) does result in a notification email to alert you that a new sign in has occurred.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.