Saving SSH key other than notes?

Is there a better way to share / store ssh keys other than in notes?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi Christian_XYZR,

I believe one potential solution is to save your SSH key in a Document item. You can then store any necessary login information in a separate Login item. Finally, you can link these two separate entities as related items for better findability.

• Christian_XYZR
    Christian_XYZR
    Community Member

I ll try that

Thy

• :+1: :)

• Peterblabla
    Peterblabla
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

it's truly worrying that a popper SSH Key option is not available. Makes me wonder about 1Password tbh

• Hi @Peterblabla,

Our development team is always looking to improve 1Password and they regularly review customer feedback. While I don't have any news to share about official SSH key support at the moment, I'll make sure your feedback reaches the rest of the team.

• Peterblabla
    Peterblabla
    Community Member

Well for a start you have a big button that says SSH Key but in there there is no way to store.. an SSH key.. either as a file or as text (unless it’s in the notes). Stop trying to grow you business for 2 minutes and try improving your product. Just give us an upload file option or a better text space that does’t mangle the formatting. Frankly I would recommend 1Password to exactly zero people.

• @Peterblabla,

Just to clarify, uploading files is possible when you make use of independent Document items (see the workaround posted earlier in this thread):

Also, depending on the 1Password app you're using, you can add files as attachments to existing items. To do that, open the 1Password app, edit an item, scroll down and select Add New File in the item details view.

• Peterblabla
    Peterblabla
    Community Member

I didn’t see that in the web client. Are you saying as a sys admin I need to use a phone app to manage my credentials database?

• @Peterblabla,

The 1Password.com web interface doesn't currently support attaching files to existing items or viewing them, so if you're spending a lot of time managing your credentials within your browser, sticking with independent Document items is recommended for the time being:

All of the 1Password 7 desktop and mobile apps (Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android) do support file attachments, however, so if you did want to try them out, you would not be restricted to using a mobile device. File attachments are a relatively new feature for 1Password accounts, which explains why they're not available everywhere just yet.

• Peterblabla
    Peterblabla
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

Ok sounds good, I’ll try the desktop app. But does the desktop app still allow shared vaults etc?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Peterblabla:

But does the desktop app still allow shared vaults etc?

It does :+1:

• Peterblabla
    Peterblabla
    Community Member

Cool thanks guys 8-)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome :)

• pglezen
    pglezen
    Community Member

I, too, would like to see an SSH key as one of the customized item types. I realize it's probably not a big draw for family plans. But for techies it would be helpful. Perhaps it could be a special case of an SSL key pair where it would have the following characteristics.

1. Upload private key and (optional) public key
    2. Subject and valid date fields, auto-populated from key data
    3. Copy button next to public key to quickly copy it to clipboard
    4. Reminder (e.g. note to Slack) of impending expiration date

Currently I use the "document" item type to manage these items.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the additional feedback @pglezen, noted!

This discussion has been closed.