1Password for Safari slow

Options
digitpass
digitpass
Community Member
edited October 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Does anyone else find the the new 1Password for Safari extension slow compared to the extension that was bundled with the 1Password 7 macOS desktop app?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.2.0-56.BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.6 (20170)
OS Version: macOS 11.4

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @digitpass!

Can you give us an idea of what you mean by "slow" exactly? Also, when do you notice it slow down the most?

• digitpass
    digitpass
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry @ag_ana, I should have elaborated.

It's most noticeable after clicking the 1Password icon - there is a delay before the window is displayed.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@digitpass:

Thank you for the clarification! I have tested it here and it seems normal to me (in Safari). Just to see if we can find some details about this, do you notice this also when 1Password is already unlocked, or mostly when it is locked?

• planetf1
    planetf1
    Community Member
    Options

I've just started to try the early access version 8 on macOS today. Quite often I am seeing 'Loading ()' when I click the (1) in Safari toolbar. It can take up to 10 seconds for the (already logged in) vault/ui to show. It happens about 1 in 3 times, though the delay is quite variable.

I've also noticed that the UI looks 'slow' to render - ie I can see the text repainting at times as focus shifts. Sometimes the whole window repaints. When I click on a password I see the right hand content/graphic momentarily draw. Moving up/down a list of passwords also has the highlighting lagging much more behind the mouse pointer.

it's hard to pin it down though it 'feels' a bit sluggish (MBP 2016 TB 16GB, Big Sur 11.5.2, idling at <10% cpu), external monitor - 4K, USB-C

• ghslp
    ghslp
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue: after clicking the extension icon in the Safari toolbar the overlay consistently takes ~2 seconds to start animating in. I have 1Password 8 installed, and the delay seems consistent if 1Password is locked or unlocked. I don’t see an associated CPU spike so I’m not sure what’s causing the delay.

This is on an M1 MacBook Air running the latest versions of 1Password 8 and the 1Password for Safari.

• petro
    petro
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, this was one of the multiple contributing factors pushing me back to 1password 7.

• FCNV
    FCNV
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana

Was there a company memo issued to reply to everything with "It works fine for me?" Like, multiple people are reporting something, yet because you claim to not be able to reproduce it, you dismiss it?

• synacsyn
    synacsyn
    Community Member
    Options

I have tried it as well it is very slow to launch and will take over 20 seconds sometimes. I am on a 2020 Intel Mac with no resource contention. Also running the latest version of 1password 8

• Commandor
    Commandor
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

I have noticed exactly the same issue, but it only happens in Safari. It is normal in Firefox and Chrome.
    This is Safari
    https://streamable.com/oe87ty
    And this is Firefox
    https://streamable.com/g9ku51
    And this if Chrome
    https://streamable.com/tz42rp

• LiamP
    LiamP
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

I am also seeing this in Safari just like @Commandor is.
    It takes around 3 seconds to open after either clicking the icon or using command + shift + x

2020 Macbook Air M1

Safari 14.1.2
    MacOS Big Sur 11.5.2
    1Password 8.2.2-6.BETA

I am trying out 1Password 8 to check to see what the fuss is about.
    But understand Beta = not ready for general use. Just hoping some of the other problems I am seeing get squashed before February (my renewal).

• Commandor
    Commandor
    Community Member
    Options

I guess this issue is about the MAS version safari extension?

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

Thank you for taking the time to report this problem. There is a known issue with Safari Web Extensions in Safari 14 that causes this. It has been improved for Safari 15. If you're running the Safari 15 beta, or Safari Technology Preview, the popup should open more quickly. If you're still seeing delays while running those versions, or with non-Safari browsers, please let us know. Unfortunately this one isn't caused by anything in the 1Password codebase and as such there isn't anything we can do to improve the situation with Safari 14. Hopefully Safari 15 will be more widely available when we ship 1Password 8.

I guess this issue is about the MAS version safari extension?

Correct; that is the only Safari extension that works with 1Password 8.

Ben

• BobW
    BobW
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing a delay of 10 to 20 seconds, during which I have the SPOD and total browser lockup. Worse, it's triggered simply by clicking into the username or password field, so I can't even avoid it by manually copying/pasting from the 1P app. That it apparently works in Safari Tech Preview is great to know but doesn't really help me with the hundreds of tabs open in Safari 14.

Also notable, the exact same problem happens with the new Safari extension in iOS 15, too. I've no idea if it's technically related, but the symptoms are identical. Whether desktop or mobile, though, the result is the same: the extension is virtually unusable.

• digitpass
    digitpass
    Community Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

The delay after clicking the 1Password icon has improved with Safari 15.

The right column lags behind the left when using the keyboard arrow keys to scroll down the list of items.

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

I got the new 1P Safari extension - the one from the Mac App Store.

Is anyone else noticed it is still really really slow? Running the latest beta of macOS and it still takes seconds to open, really annoying.

There is a perceptible lag with the Edge extension as well, but it isn't quite as bad as the Safari one.

Have the old extension and turned it on just to see and it opens straight away.

Given these are not technically 'beta' products it is disappointing to see them still in this state, and being forced into using them with the 1P8 beta.

1Password Version: 8.2.2 // 80202072
    Extension Version: 2.1.2 (Safari) // 2.1.0 (Edge)
    OS Version: macOS 12 b7

• @gussic

The delay you're mentioning is certainly not ideal. Can you try the following and let me know if it improves your state of play?

First, let's check that integration is properly enabled:

1. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Under General, toggle "Integrate with 1Password app" off and on again.

We'll then want to make sure we fully quit and relaunch both 1Password and your browser:

1. Quit 1Password completely by right clicking the 1Password icon in your macOS menu bar and choosing Quit.
    2. Quit your browser.
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open your browser and test again to see if the issue is resolved.

Let me know how it goes.

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_chantelle

Thank you for the post. I've followed your instructions. It's marginally improved the lag/delay but not significantly - it's still quite perceptible.

• Thanks for giving those steps a try @gussic. I'd like to ask you to grab a diagnostics report and console log from Safari for us. You can follow the steps below to collect the console details:

1. Open Safari.
    2. Choose "Safari > "Preferences" > "Advanced" in the menu bar.
    3. Click "Show Develop menu in menu bar"
    4. Choose "Develop > Web Extension Background Pages > 1Password for Safari"
    5. Press Command + A to select everything, and then right click, "Save as" to generate a file.

Send the diagnostics and log to us at support+x@1password.com with a link to our current discussion. One of our team members will have a look and let you know what we find.

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_chantelle

Sorry I've followed the steps when I press Command A nothing happens and when I right click also nothing happens.

Is it possibly different for Safari 15 on macOS 12? Happy to DM if you want to take this offline.

• Sorry @gussic. I forgot to mention that you'll want to click the Console tab at the top of the page to view the extension console. You should be able to select all and then have the proper right-click response from there.

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_chantelle sorry I should have figured that out much sooner! Do you need logs for Edge as well?

• @gussic

Absolutely! If you're having the same issue with both browsers, it would be most appreciated. You can find the steps to gather logs in Edge here.

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_chantelle

Done! Ref # is: #WFS-98395-585

• @gussic

Got it! :+1: Let's continue our conversation there.

ref: WFS-98395-585

This discussion has been closed.