Credit card category doesn’t support store credit cards

Omen
Omen
Community Member

Hi

I was trying to enter my Amazon store credit card into 1P. When I got to type of card, 1P forced me to choose one of the known types of credit cards, but there was no choice for Store Credit Card. I was unable to add my own choice, or remove it completely from the page. So my Amazon Store Card is now classified as a Visa, which it is not.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Omen!

Thank you for the report. I have let our developers know that you would like more credit card options in the category :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#30

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

@Omen, you can retain the generic card (i.e. neither Mastercard nor VISA) simply by skipping a deliberate selection of card type when you create the entry. You leave it pointed to 'Visa' or nothing, but simply go to the next field you need/want. That's what we did with all our store and debit cards to distinguish them from "real" credit cards. Once the card type is selected, I don' t think there's any way to "unselect" it, so to fix things as they currently stand, you'd probably have to create new entries with the generic card then delete your old VISA ones for your store cards.

• Omen
    Omen
    Community Member

@williakz I’m using iOS 1P. It seems that once you try to see the credit card choices, there’s no way to get back to a null entry. No matter what you do, a default choice comes up. You can’t edit it either, nor delete the “type” data. If there was a in the list, I would’ve used it. But the best change is to also add the “Store Credit Card” selection too.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

@Omen, just tried it on iOS and it works the same as on the full Mac application. Just skip right over selecting the card type (Mastercard, VISA, etc.) and you'll end up with the generic card type. You are indeed correct that if you go into that type field, the default gets instantiated. So you have three choices: live with the current VISA defaults, go through the hassle of correcting your entries, or wait for the elves at 1Password to get around to putting in a proper default. Good luck.

• Omen
    Omen
    Community Member

@williakz, Thanks for checking that on iOS. Unfortunately I went into “type” before I knew I couldn’t change it to “no type” or blank it out. So I just left it as it is. Hopefully the elves will change it in the next update. I’m sure it’s not a widespread problem, but I like to keep all my cards in 1P for protection.

• crankytimefunworld
    crankytimefunworld
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

I came here to request the same feature. When I click + and pick Credit Card, it defaults to Visa and I don't have the option to not pick a type. I would like to see an option for "Debit Card" because I'd like to store a few cards for my records that are strictly debit cards to use in ATMs and don't have the Visa or Mastercard Logo but I still want to record them.

Also, I'm trying to store a department store credit card and it would be good to have a type called "Store Card" or "Gas Card" or something similar. Or heck, how about make the field customizable so we can just add our own categories.

EDIT TO CORRECT: I just found "Suggest in browser" so I just deleted the paragraph where I asked for that.

• Hey @crankytimefunworld

I've added your voice to the request for this. In the meantime it may be worth considering storing these items as Secure Notes:

Making the most of Secure Notes

Thanks!

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#9583

• crankytimefunworld
    crankytimefunworld
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben. I ended up just picking some weird type I would never use (UnionPay because I've never heard of it) and then set it to never suggest in websites and that works well for me. (Though not as well as having more types available or custom types). Thanks for your response.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome @crankytimefunworld :+1:

This discussion has been closed.