Why am I now on 'new' 1Pass extension and not classic?

Options

For some reason Brave is using the new (was X) 1Pass extension. Is there a way such that I don't have to log in each time I start up the browser.

Honestly, I don't see how this is a better option than Classic.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 1.23.1
OS Version: 11.2.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @acanton77 - thanks for reaching out to us! The 1Password classic extension is no longer receiving development updates. As a result the new version of 1Password for your browser is the default option when installing from the web store. We are actively working on getting shared lock state enabled for this version. In the meantime if it's essential to your workflow to have the browser extension unlocked alongside 1Password for Mac, you can install the 1Password classic extension from here.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_chantelle! :)

The 1Password classic extension is no longer receiving development updates.

Hopefully the classic extension will not disappear in the near future. ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I would imagine we will only have one extension in the future @DenalB, although I don't think it will be in the near future :+1:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

although I don't think it will be in the near future

I hope it will disappear only if the 1Password extension in the browser is working together with the Windows desktop app. ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2021
    Options

It certainly will @DenalB :+1: This forum post has more information about this:

Temporarily removing Desktop App Integration

• acanton77
    acanton77
    Community Member
    Options

Honestly, I've been using the New 1Password extension and I've yet to see even ONE advantage over Classic. Yes, I understand that you don't need the 1Password .app on the machine but since 99% of people probably DO have the application resident, that 'feature' is of no value to me and others.

EVERY TIME I quit Brave or Chrome and then restart it, i have to enter my master password. Not so with classic. And classic was better at finding and filling website logins than the new version is. Finally, the new version gets its data from the cloud and not my disk... and i don't want my passwords going through the ether even IF encrypted.

This is not an improvement. Where are all the postings that sign the praises of the new extension (which used to be called "X"?) I don't see any.

This is another example of software houses being run by 28 year olds (https://1password.com/company/) who have only tech experience and no biz experience. Did anyone at 1Password ASK any customers what THEY (we) wanted in a browser extension? Was there an attempt at a customer survey or focus group? I doubt anyone ever said "I want to have to log in each time the browser comes up!"

Look, the new extension is not the worst piece of software I've ever seen, but to me it saying that it is 'new and improved' is simply fake news.

The 1Pass people should be better than this. They need to understand (or learn) a fundamental lesson of business: It is easier and cheaper to keep on old customer than to find a new one!

(That is another way of saying that I'm going to take a look at the 'new' Last Pass subscription system.)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2021
    Options

@acanton77:

Thank you for the feedback! Anything that helps up improve 1Password is highly appreciated!

EVERY TIME I quit Brave or Chrome and then restart it, i have to enter my master password. Not so with classic.

Please take a look at the link I posted in my previous post: this will come also in the new extension ;)

In the meantime, I would suggest you continue using the classic extension, it really looks like you prefer that one very much, and that is absolutely fine :+1:

• acanton77
    acanton77
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

And one last thing. Once the 1Pass desktop application is logged into AND once the browser extension is logged into, If you ARE IN THE CHROME/BRAVE BROWSER and click on the 1Pass circle icon in the top Apple menu bar (top, right, next to the Sound and Bluetooth and Date-Time icons) you get pop-up telling you to INSTALL the extension in the browser. C'mon guys. This is not professionally written software. Why not just let the desktop application open instead of giving me a pop-up message and button to "Install 1Password to Brave Browser," which is ALREADY installed! Don't you sanity-test this stuff before you release it?

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2021
    Options

@acanton77

Why not just let the desktop application open instead of giving me a pop-up message and button to "Install 1Password to Brave Browser," which is ALREADY installed!

You touched on the very reason above in one of your earlier comments.

I understand that you don't need the 1Password .app on the machine

When 1Password in the browser (formerly 1Password X) was introduced, there was no linking between the two, and that feature, along with Touch ID, never made it out of the beta phase. Hopefully, with the code rewrite of 1Password X, this can change, and you'll get a more seamless experience.

• acanton77
    acanton77
    Community Member
    Options

All I can say is that the new extension does not work as well as the classic. For example, the classic would open AND FILL this site. https://www.americanriverbank.com/ The new extension will open it but only fill the password box. I have to put my cursor in the "username" box and choose a suggestion.

However it WILL open and fill this site https://accountaccess.edwardjones.com/ca-logon/logon.action

The extension is not terrible, it really isn't. It is just not ready for production.

I've been a software developer for over 30 years... and I still do it... rather well... and I know beta software when I see it. You folks have not vetted this product as well as I would expect a company of your reputation, nor have you given it a good 'sanity-check.'

For me 'classic' is not an option. On mission-critical software like password management I won't use an application that is no longer supported. I don't have that much courage!! :-)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2021
    Options

@acanton77:

On mission-critical software like password management I won't use an application that is no longer supported.

For clarification, the classic extension is still supported. It is not receiving new updates, which is a different thing, but it is certainly still supported :+1:

• acanton77
    acanton77
    Community Member
    Options

is still supported

OK, good. How is 'support' defined for classic? Just security updates? (Which is all we really need.)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes, if a security issue will be discovered, then we'll issue an update to the Classic extension as required. We do not leave vulnerabilities in our apps/extensions unless they are in Legacy status (very old and outdated).

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for clarification @ag_yaron ! :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Yaron, you are welcome :)

• burnwa
    burnwa
    Community Member
    Options

I've been trying to use the new extension and have had to go back to classic for a better experience. I've never really used the new extension on Mac, but I'm trying on Windows Edge.

It's not worth going into too many details unless the classic extension is going to be removed in the near term. If it is a long way off, then, by that time, the new extension will likely be much better. I'm used to 1Password software to look pleasing and be frictionless. The new extension is not that.

• Hi @burnwa, that isn't the experience we want for you to have.

Would you mind elaborating on some of your pain points with 1Password in the browser? We don't have analytics, so the only way we can learn where we need to improve is feedback like yours.

Jack

• burnwa
    burnwa
    Community Member
    Options

I didn't think this would be the correct venue, but I'm happy to help. Just so you know, I'm a big fan of your company and products. I've used 1Password for years (since 2007) and I've been a family subscriber from the moment you introduced that service.

To preface things, your Safari extension in iOS caused me to panic. On iOS, 1Password is convenient to use in web browsers as well as other apps; it's easily integrated into iOS as the password manager. Therefore, the browser extension on iOS has no role that I can think of, but you still introduced it. That gave me this nagging feeling you were heading down the google-ish road of "the browser is everything". That's when I decided to check on these forums for any evidence that the classic extensions for computers were going away. I found this thread.

So, I've just reinstated the new extension on Edge to remind myself of some issues. Here are the first things that bothered me.

I don't want the extension to modify the look of the page. I particularly dislike having the drop-down appear on field focus. A web page designer spends quite a bit of effort on delivering a particular look and feel; The extension is a distraction from that. Even with the field focus trigger turned off, I'm still left with your icon inside the fields when they have focus. Be gone! As a web developer, I'd be pretty pissed with you for screwing with my page. Just because a user is typing in a username or password field doesn't mean they need or want assistance.

So, I figured I'd try to ignore the icon in the fields and just use the extension button at the top of the window. But, that button doesn't seem to know which site I'm on, so it doesn't select the entry that matches the website. Well, that's no good. Even if it provided website detection, the popup window is not resizable and the fonts and general layout is too spacious for the available room.

I have many vaults. I don't want them all presented when I'm working in the browser, just the one that I consider my main vault. The drop-downs on the fields always show all vaults; that gives me a ton of duplicates for certain websites. To work around this, I had to redefine "All Vaults" to mean just my one regular vault. Rats.

The extension button does respect the vault selection you make. But, every time you restart the browser the setting reverts to "All Vaults". Double rats.

The extension icon is poorly done. The gray outer circle is jagged looking. I have a lot of extensions in the various browsers I use; yours is the only one that looks unfinished.

If you think this is all good and that this new extension is production ready, I'll move to full-on panic. Will I expect such unsatisfactory work from your upcoming Electron app?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2021
    Options

Hey @burnwa ,
    Thanks for the feedback here, much appreciated.

Firstly, I'd like to point out that while I definitely understand where you're coming from, the vast majority of users (I'd say ~%95-ish) do want and need their password manager showing up inside/under fields and suggesting relevant actions, just as most browser users (without a password manager) use and love their browser's built-in password manager and autofill suggestions.

You can also turn the 1Password icon off inside fields completely by going into the extension's settings and turning off all options under the "Autofill" section, but that would just make this extension identical to the 1Password Classic extension in its functionality and that would be a step back in user experience and functionality. If that's what you prefer, that is definitely up to you though :)

To address some of the points you've raised:

But, that button doesn't seem to know which site I'm on

The extension definitely knows which page you're on. If you're not getting any suggestions, then you have no login items that contain that URL in them. 1Password matches the URL in the login item to the page you visit and if the domain matches, it will show up in 1Password as a suggestion.

the popup window is not resizable and the fonts and general layout is too spacious for the available room

Thanks for the feedback here! We've just redesigned the UI here and the feedback is very important :)

I have many vaults. I don't want them all presented when I'm working in the browser, just the one that I consider my main vault.

Right-click the extension icon -> Settings -> Scroll to the bottom and turn off any vault you don't want to show up in the extension. It will also hide it from "All Vaults" view and will not suggest any items from within that vault. This change is permanent and will not revert back after restarting.

The extension icon is poorly done. The gray outer circle is jagged looking. I have a lot of extensions in the various browsers I use; yours is the only one that looks unfinished.

Thanks for that feedback as well :)

If you think this is all good and that this new extension is production ready, I'll move to full-on panic. Will I expect such unsatisfactory work from your upcoming Electron app?

Aside from the graphical feedback you have, the UI which is not to your liking and your personal take on website design, if you encounter issues that are experience breaking we would be more than happy to address and fix them so keep the feedback coming if you're willing.
    Many thanks again :+1:

• burnwa
    burnwa
    Community Member
    Options

most browser users (without a password manager) use and love their browser's built-in password manager and autofill suggestions.

You should make your in-field icon much smaller and not in color. Perhaps you're following an example of some browser's built-in password manager. Is there one which makes their indicator so pronounced? I just checked Safari on the Mac; it's pretty simple and elegant.

You can also turn the 1Password icon off inside fields completely by going into the extension's settings and turning off all options under the "Autofill" section, but that would just make this extension identical to the 1Password Classic extension in its functionality and that would be a step back in user experience and functionality.

Then I misunderstood the language "Offer to fill and save passwords". The classic extension puts no icon in the fields yet still offers the ability to detect and save passwords. Is that possible with the new extension?

The extension definitely knows which page you're on. If you're not getting any suggestions, then you have no login items that contain that URL in them.

That's a reasonable assumption, but not applicable to my testing. I was testing against the main login page of my bank. That's probably the number one site I use 1Password on.

I'll say this - This morning, after reboot, the extension button was recognizing the site. Then, I activated the classic extension and used it a bit to compare the two. I then deactivated it and restarted Edge. It then failed to recognize the website I'm on. Perhaps, after removing the classic extension (which I had been using right up until I did my post), a reboot is required or some process has to be killed. So it might be just a bug that was exposed during the testing I did for my post.

Right-click the extension icon -> Settings -> Scroll to the bottom and turn off any vault you don't want to show up in the extension. It will also hide it from "All Vaults" view and will not suggest any items from within that vault. This change is permanent and will not revert back after restarting.

From your answer, I can see that I wasn't clear in my explanation. I don't want any of my vaults removed from "All Vaults". I want to set the extension to use a particular vault. Then, I want to be easily able to show all vaults when I want to. Perhaps this extension changes the definition of "All Vaults"; it's a well-defined notion shared by the desktop application and the classic extension. You shouldn't do that.

The classic extension makes it trivial to set a default vault and switch quickly; one of the choices when switching is "All Vaults". The new extension makes it awkward to switch vaults. The design of the new extension seems to be unaware of the sophisticated multi-vault offering and the flexibility it gives users.

• burnwa
    burnwa
    Community Member
    Options

I woke up this morning and booted up my computer. I went to my banks website and clicked the extensions button. The drop-down did not recognize the website I was on. One fact, I had not opened up the standalone app at all.

• Jack.P_1P
    edited October 2021
    Options

Hi @burnwa,

Thanks for that. To confirm, if you click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar, is the pop-up set to "Suggestions"? If the dropdown is set to anything other than that, so "All Items" or "Favorites" or one of the item types, 1Password in your browser won't provide page relevant suggestions for you in the pop-up.

Additionally, there's a setting that controls where the pop-up will open by default. It's located at Settings > General > Open 1Password to

• burnwa
    burnwa
    Community Member
    Options

It was set to "All Items". I never set that. Yesterday, during my testing, when I reported things seemed to be working, I had also never touched that. So, it seems to set itself depending on some input that is not related to my direct manipulation of 1Password. Seems like a bug or something overlooked in the design. There should be persistence of the setting that the user last used. I've never stumbled on such a thing with the classic add-on. I've always left the setting on "suggestions"; it has never occurred to me to switch to something else.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the additional info @burnwa ,

If you encounter the issue again, can you please note the following:

• What is the exact URL in your browser's toolbar.
    • What is the URL in the login item that didn't show up.
    • What was the filter selection when you opened the extension's window (suggestions? all items? favorites?)
    • Are all vaults enabled in the extension's settings -> vaults and accounts ?

There's very little that can go wrong here from a bug perspective, either the URL matches or it doesn't. If it does, then the only other thing that can prevent 1Password from suggesting the item is if a setting was changed somewhere to prevent it from showing. In case we're still unable to figure out which setting it was, can you please share your bank's website here so we can test it and see if we can replicate the issue?

Thank you kindly.

• burnwa
    burnwa
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your attention to my concerns. The bug regarding the browser was purely the extension changing a setting by itself. Sometime when I open Edge the extension is set to suggestions, sometimes not. I'll drop that one and just be more attentive if I ever switch to that extension.

My final thoughts before I bow out:

1Password application with the classic browser extension on the Mac have always been at the very top of my list. They're A+ level work aesthetically and functionally. When you introduced the family plan and the website, I was blown away; it was just as good. Your customer support is second to none. I'm happy to give you my money every year.

The new extension is B level work. I can't think of any world where rendering an unbounded list in a fixed size window would be okay. I can think of some worlds (in distant galaxies) where switching vaults being awkward would be acceptable. Vault selection is not an application setting; it is something you do while using the application.

Even if these things are corrected at some point, you've tipped your hand. You've exposed lowered standards in a product that is presented as the latest and greatest. That product is being positioned as the replacement of a superior product.

I'm not so childish to believe that my threatening to move on to a different product would influence anything. (You might just chalk this all up to aesthetic differences.) Also, I likely won't move on; there's too much good here to throw out the baby with the bathwater. But, it's kind of like finding your spouse less attractive; your eyes do start to wander.

I have serious apprehension about the coming Electron app; I've yet to look at it. The Windows platform was in need of some love and I applaud that effort. But, if these lowered standards creep into that application, I'm going to be devastated.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @burnwa ,
    Thanks for the final conclusions and summary feedback, and sorry for the delayed response, I was out for a couple of days.

I'm glad to hear you love the classic extension so much, and you can keep using it with 1Password 7 for as long as you'd like.
    Some of the things you don't like about the new extension are indeed on our radar and I hope they will be addressed, even if they are mostly graphical :)

As for the Electron app - I too had doubts about it when I first hear it was going to run on Electron, but then I actually used it, and it was simply a new 1Password app. I had forgotten it was running on Electron and I couldn't care less what was it running behind the scenes. It is a new 1Password app that looks and works identically on all platforms (Mac, Linux, Windows) and it works well. It looks different, and no one likes change, but after using it for a couple of days it is a real delight and I hope you'll love it as much as I do.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts here! We do appreciate it and will always be happy to listen and help as best as we can.

This discussion has been closed.