File attachments from documents

rlgleason51
rlgleason51
Community Member

Glad to see file attachments has returned to 1p.

Can we convert a document to a file attachment? Or do we have to import the file again. I have photos of my passport, driver's license etc. as documents and want to attach as files to the record.

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ordinarybeef
    ordinarybeef
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

Not an answer to your question, but re-importing my standalone vault into 1p.com has added files as attachments

I'm not a main 1p.com subscription user so for me I just deleted my 1p.com vault and re-imported everything from standalone. All cleaned up now

• ordinarybeef
    ordinarybeef
    Community Member

Actually I take that back. The experience has been very bad for me.

Re-importing through the 'migrate my account' option on the Mac app has caused all items to be imported, but without attachments.
    So I went in again, deleted everything, and this time instead of using 'migrate my account' I just selected everything and hit 'Copy To Vault'

This time all the items have an attachment that states 'download required', but when I click on it I get 'Failed to download content, no document exists in either pending or to be downloaded item'.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

Hi @rlgleason51 !

Can we convert a document to a file attachment?

It seems to me that this is not possible. I just downloaded all of my documents and re-imported them into the matching entries as file attachments.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

Sorry for the delay in responding. Thanks to all who responded.

So far, I've attached over 20 of my documents as files.

I sure did miss File Attachments.

• marcink
    marcink
    Community Member

I am so glad AgileBits finally brought back file attachments to 1Password. Little interesting that in release notes it was called a new feature as opposed to bringing the feature back (or fixing an old mistake LOL).

When this feature was originally dropped, it broke the database for a lot of users, separating attachments into standalone document items. Now that attachments are back, it would be nice to have a way to revert this prior "corruption" of our attachments without having to go through everything manually - time is money ... we are paying a premium price for a premium product to save time and I don't think it is right to have to also spend our own time to fix prior AgileBit's mistakes (technical or marketing/product definition).

So, question to AgileBits: will you provide a way to merge the attachments back into their corresponding items or leave it on your loyal users to do the work manually?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@marcink:

So, question to AgileBits: will you provide a way to merge the attachments back into their corresponding items or leave it on your loyal users to do the work manually?

I will be happy to pass the feedback to the developers for you, I agree that this could be useful. But at this point in time, adding the attachments manually is the way to go I am afraid.

• marcink
    marcink
    Community Member

Is there any way of opening two windows to make this manual process easier?

• marcink
    marcink
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

@ag_ana

It seems that searching for where the document was attached does not seem to be working. I selected "Search All Fields", then copied the full file name from a Document item into the search field, and the only item that shows up is the document, not where the attachment originally resided (and where the document is still listed with the full name as a Related Item).

Alternatively, is there a way to filter all my 1Password items to get only the ones with Related Items in them? I have just short of a 1000 entries in my 1Password vault ... manually walking through all of them is not a workable solution, and I could not find a way to search the "Related Items" list or for the list containing > 0 references.

... and it seems I just discovered a bug that makes 1Password crash:
    1. copy name of a Document by editing it, copying name, and cancelling the edit (can't copy the name without editing it)
    2. got to "Show Search Options"
    3. Select "Any Value" and "Contains"
    4. put cursor in the text field and press Command-v to paste.

I managed to have 1Password crash 3 times in a row following this process. I sent the crash report each time, so it should be in your database. Let me know how I can help debug this.

• Hi @marcink:

Thanks for reporting this bug, we're actively investigating it now, so I've added you to our issue tracking it.

Thanks!

ref: apple-5563

• bwofford
    bwofford
    Community Member

I'm really frustrated by this inconsistent handling of attachments. One day it works a certain way, then suddenly it works differently. Yes, I know you will say we should read all the notes associated with each update. But, seriously, aside from security, a key benefit of platforms like 1Password for me is saving time. I definitely welcome attachments being saved within the 1P record, especially if this has eliminated the lingering problem of lost references (when moving 1P records among vaults).

But now, what I hear you saying is that if we users are dissatisfied with some attachments stored as referenced documents while others are stored within the record itself, you don't have a solution at hand for simplifying this. Other than expecting us to address this on our own! And, as I mentioned before, with time we don't have! It would seem you should have anticipated this outcome when you introduced (or reintroduced as it were) the way attachments are stored. Sorry, but I have to call this a lackluster level of support.

• You're right, @bwofford. I'm sorry we let you down here. 😞

Ben

• bwofford
    bwofford
    Community Member

Having just updated to 1P8, the issue of record attachments seems further convoluted, which I find utterly disappointing! Hopefully, I am overlooking something simple though at first glance I am frustrated by the "Missing Item" entry in the Related Items section of the Edit screen for any given record. The description, "This item has been moved or deleted" merely adds insult to injury. My example is based on a newer record that never had a related item, since I had already shifted to the preferred method of directly attaching the file to the record. By the way, the attached file is in tact, as would be anticipated.

My goal is to convert all related items to directly-attached files. Thus, any remaining records in the Documents category are standalone and deliberate since they would not overlap or be confused as supporting another record. If the developers are not going to address this glaring issue, can someone else at least offer a write-up to describe the most efficient way of helping me achieve my goal? If I have to do this manually one record at a time, I would at least know that I'm not making the process more complicated than someone far more proficient would experience.

This discussion has been closed.