To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Item duplication, switching from local to account

ran_1020
ran_1020
Community Member

I'm still in the process of setting up all my devices with a 1Password account, switching from using a local account. When I did it on my iPhones, it duplicated all of my passwords. I had to go through one by one and delete the duplicate. I've done it now on one of my computers. I now have a new set of duplicates. Is there a way to stop having it duplicate my passwords every time I try to switch a device to a 1Password account? Also, I don't understand why I now have a "Personal" vault and a "1Password" vault. Thanks.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.8
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2021

Hi @ran_1020

Also, I don't understand why I now have a "Personal" vault and a "1Password" vault

This is likely the source of the duplicates. When you view two items that appear to be duplicates, are they in the same vault, or is one in the Personal vault and one in the 1Password vault? Everything should be in Personal, and 1Password should be deleted. I would recommend logging in at https://my.1password.com and making sure all of your data appears in the Personal vault there, and then deleting any other vaults.

Ben

• ran_1020
    ran_1020
    Community Member

No, it look like the "1Password" vault only has maybe 50 items, none duplicates in there, and the "Personal" account has all the duplicates within it. Do you know why I have a Personal vault and a 1Password vault? The third local vault was deleted when I used the option in 1Password 7 to migrate, although maybe I made the mistake of signing in to my account when I was still using 1Password 6.

• although maybe I made the mistake of signing in to my account when I was still using 1Password 6.

That may be a factor. So that we can get a better picture of the current state, and offer the best instructions for moving forward, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With the email for each report please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID. Please post that ID here. Thanks very much!

Ben

• ran_1020
    ran_1020
    Community Member

Will do, thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome @ran_1020!

• ran_1020
    ran_1020
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

The diagnostic reports seemed like a lot of work so I just went ahead and moved everything from the vault named “1Password” to the “Personal” vault and then deleted the 1Password” vault. I noticed a tool that deleted duplicates, so I used that and it got rid of some. I went through and manually deleted the rest. Then on my final computer that I hadn’t switched over to a 1Password account yet I made sure to update from 1Password 6 to 7 first, then did the account migration and this time it went smoothly. Thank you!

• Hey @ran_1020

That is awesome news. I am so glad to you were able to get everything moved over. If you ever have any other questions/concerns, please let us know. We are always happy to help!

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

@ran_1020,
    Sorry to barge in on this thread but I have some related questions. Are you saying that on your different devices you "migrated" your local data after switching to "account" (I assume that means "membership)? Do you have unique passwords, etc., on each different device? I'm asking because I too have a local account, but I use Dropbox so the same data is available on all my devices. Did you not do that in your situation?

@Ben & @ag_ana, For my situation (dropbox), I assume that I would only do the migration on one device (MacBook), then on my iPhone, I would just attach my account and NOT do any migration? I assume once I "add the account" on my phone, I would then see the same data that I migrated on the computer? Does that make sense?

Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn:

For my situation (dropbox), I assume that I would only do the migration on one device (MacBook), then on my iPhone, I would just attach my account and NOT do any migration?

Correct, you only have to do the migration once.

I assume once I "add the account" on my phone, I would then see the same data that I migrated on the computer?

That's also correct.

This discussion has been closed.