Documentation is incomplete

jscarle
jscarle
Community Member

The current documentation for the 1Password CLI tool is incomplete.

1) There is no documentation regarding the new "--icon" flag for the "create vault" and "edit vault" commands added in version 1.11.4.

2) There is a minor mistake in the "Options for create vault" section. It mentions that "--description" will "set the group's description", that should read "set the vault's description".

3) The "Options for edit vault" section is missing the "--description" option. It was added in version 1.11.3.

4) There is no mention of the "create integration events-api" command which was added in version 1.11.0.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 1.11.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• Hello @jscarle

I am a developer on the team responsible for the 1Password CLI tool.

Before I address your concerns, I just wanted to say we really do appreciate your feedback on improving the user experience!

1) There is no documentation regarding the new "--icon" flag for the "create vault" and "edit vault" commands added in version 1.11.4.

Thank you for reminding us to update the CLI documentation page. While the flag may be missing in that page, we have updated the command's help text (op create/edit vault --help) to include a list of available icons. Would you have any feedback on how we could improve the help text?

2) There is a minor mistake in the "Options for create vault" section. It mentions that "--description" will "set the group's description", that should read "set the vault's description".

This is a great catch, and again, thank you for bringing this up - we will aim to fix this in the upcoming release.

3) The "Options for edit vault" section is missing the "--description" option. It was added in version 1.11.3. and
    4) There is no mention of the "create integration events-api" command which was added in version 1.11.0.

We do not currently include every single command in the CLI documentation page, and it seems like op edit vault was excluded from that page. I think this command does belong on that page, especially considering that we have recently added new flag options to it! For the time being, please refer to the op edit vault --help command.

I think many of us on the team that works on the CLI understand that the existing documentation could be improved. We are currently looking into utilizing documentation portals to ensure a more detailed and up-to-date documentation section. Stay tuned!

• jscarle
    jscarle
    Community Member

I just noticed an additional error for "delete document". The example uses "delete item" as such:

op delete item --archive "2019 Contracts"

• jscarle
    jscarle
    Community Member

I just realised both the examples have the order of the parameters incorrect as well.

For delete document, it currently reads:
    op delete item --archive "2019 Contracts"

It should read:
    op delete document "2019 Contracts" --archive

For delete item, it currently reads:
    op delete item --archive "Defunct Login"

It should read:
    op delete item "Defunct Login" --archive

• Thanks @jscarle!

We'll get the documentation updated accordingly!

This discussion has been closed.