Extension 'unlock screen' incorrectly scaled on Firefox

Options

Hi guys,

A recent update to your Firefox browser extension seems to have created a problem for me.

When the browser extension is locked, and I click the 1P button in the browser window, the content of the master password entry screen is too big for the popup:

If I blindly type my master password and press enter, the extension unlocks successfully and from then on appears to be scaled correctly.

I'm not sure what could be causing this issue I'm afraid. (Neither of my monitors is high-DPI)

1Password Version: 8.2.2 (beta channel)
Extension Version: 2.1.2 for Firefox
OS Version: Linux (Fedora 34 on Wayland)

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @ra_ ,

This usually happens when the 1Password extension icon is hidden in the overflow menu of Firefox, but in your screenshot it seems that the 1Password extension icon is pinned and is always visible in Firefox's toolbar. Is that correct?

Also, what happens if you disconnect any external monitors or move the browser window from one monitor to the other? Does the issue persists?

And lastly, if you install the stable version of the extension, does the issue persists? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/1password-x-password-manager/

• ra_
    ra_
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_yaron,

Yes, the extension icon is pinned in the toolbar and always visible.

With two monitors connected, the problem occurs on both monitors. With one monitor connected, the problem still occurs.

I am already using the stable version of the browser extension (2.1.2). But I am running the beta version of the desktop app (80202072, on BETA channel).

I have just noticed a new pattern. The first time I click the 1P extension button in a particular browser window, it works correctly. However every subsequent time I click the 1P button in that same browser window, it is mis-sized. If I alt+tab to a different browser window and click the 1P button, it works correctly first time! But then is mis-sized every subsequent time. Switching back to the first browser window it again works correctly the first time, then is mis-sized each subsequent time I open it.

It seems that, when the 1P extension is first clicked after having been used in a different browser window, and the "Loading..." message is displayed briefly, the problem does not occur.

It appears the problem is not limited to the master password unlock screen. Once unlocked, if I click the 'settings' cog icon in the top right of the extension popup, the settings panel does not appear. (I assume it is actually opening correctly but 300px or so off-canvas.) The same "works correctly first time per-window" behaviour above also applies in this case.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the additional info, @ra_

Before I forward this info to the development team, let's perform one last test to make sure this issue is not caused by 3rd party extensions or settings.
    Please try this:

1. Create a new test user profile in Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-remove-switch-firefox-profiles
    2. Switch into the new user profile and install only 1Password in it: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/
    3. Test and see if the exact same issue occurs and is reproducible on the new user profile.

If it does, then I'll investigate this further with the team.
    If it doesn't, then there's something in your main profile that is causing this issue and we can start eliminating things until we find the culprit.

• ra_
    ra_
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, @ag_yaron.

I can confirm that the same issue still occurs with a fresh Firefox profile running just the 1Password extension.

Thanks for your help with this

• ag_chantelle
    edited October 2021
    Options

@ra_

Thank you for confirming those details. I've been able to reproduce this on my Fedora 34, as well. I've reported this to our development team, hopefully we can implement a fix in an upcoming release.

This appears to be a problem specific to the Firefox packaging. After installing Firefox binaries from mozilla.org it appears to work without issue. You could also try 1Password beta for Firefox, but I suspect if it's a Firefox packaging issue that installing binaries from Mozilla might be the best bet until we have a fix in place.

ref: dev/core/core#10999

This discussion has been closed.