Bug report: ⌘\ Keyboard shortcut is not working

Options

The ⌘\ keyboard shortcut is not working in 1P8. Still functions normally in 1P7. Known issue?

Comments

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    Options

True
    I think they removed this option, I see it nowhere in Preferences

• x19
    x19
    Community Member
    Options

Seeing this as well, I sure hope the lack of keyboard shortcut support is a bug as "cmd + \" is well engrained in my muscle memory.

• Thanks for the input. It's a known issue. We are looking into what some of our options are in this regard.

• dougb
    dougb
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• ibuys
    ibuys
    Community Member
    Options

We are looking into what some of our options are in this regard.

Is there a technical reason ⌘ \ was removed?

• Ben
    Options

Is there a technical reason ⌘ \ was removed?

Yes — unfortunately I'm not intimately familiar with the exact details but it had something to do with the integration with the browser extensions.

That said, I believe we've found a way around it, and I hope to have more to report soon.

Ben

• Is there a technical reason ⌘ \ was removed?

@ibuys Yes, this shortcut can't be used by the browser extensions directly and it must be handled by the Mac app and then somehow communicated to the extension. It is a bit tricky but I think we have an idea how it could be done 🤞

• ibuys
    ibuys
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunate. I can think of one way, but you're not going to like it. Good luck.

• Ben
    Options

Hi all,

We have an initial implementation of this in the latest beta build. There are still some caveats to work out, but it is good progress. At the moment this will only work if you have a single matching Login item for the site you're viewing. If that is the case, ⌘\ will fill that item. We don't yet have support for cases where there are multiple matches — it looks like that is something we'll need to update the browser extension to support.

Ben

ref: dev/core/core!8787

• Unfortunate. I can think of one way, but you're not going to like it. Good luck.

@ibuys, appreciate the sarcasm, the community finds the boogey man and is now piling everything on it.

The truth is that there are a lot of ongoing changes in the browsers that forced us to re-implement the extensions and this challenge would have existed regardless of the technology. The original approach where we used WebSockets to communicate between the app and the extensions is now gone and replaced by native messaging.

We used to have completely different extensions for Chrome/Firefox and Safari. Now all browser vendors are trying to get together and have a unified API. It a constantly changing landscape and more changes are coming the the browser extensions.

• Benno42
    Benno42
    Community Member
    Options

I just started using the beta and this is the first think that didn't work.
    For me I use cmd \ to invoke 1Password where ever I am. eg an app or citrix - it's not just useful when using a browser.

1P7 was able to recognise which app was active and display the right password if that association had been made in the 1P app.

• Benno42
    Benno42
    Community Member
    Options

I also just found the settings under General where you can customise the keyboard shortcuts. I've set the cmd \ to the show quick access.

• dustinhartzler
    dustinhartzler
    Community Member
    Options

I downloaded the release yesterday and set the Fill in Browser option to ⌘. It works perfectly in Safari, but when I try to use it in Firefox, the screen flashes to Safari, then back to Firefox, without filling in any details.

Just making sure this is a known bug still :)

This discussion has been closed.