Master password not changing

I changed my master password and all the changes have propagated through the online portal, my iPhone, and my Mac. However, my Windows 1password is still using my old master password making it very confusing.

I already tried restarting my computer too, but it is still stuck on the old master password. How do I get my Windows 1Password to sync up?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.8.820
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10.0.19043

Comments

• Hi @christopheryan, thanks for raising this issue with us. Sorry for the frustration about this!

The 1Password for Windows app (that is 1Password 7 for Windows) is a bit different from the other apps. To get an Account Password change to stick here, you'll need to:

1. Log in with your old password
    2. Click the red authentication banner
    3. Enter your new password

This is because the 1Password for Windows app is totally 100% sealed to the outside world when it's closed. That means it doesn't know anything about the fact that you've changed your password until you put in your old one to unlock it so that it can learn that the change has happened. I hope that makes sense!

Let me know if you're able to complete the password change using this approach - we're here for you every step of the way.

• christopheryan
    christopheryan
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

Which red authentication banner are you referring to? Once I login, it takes me to the vault like every other app. It lists my items, watchtower, and categories. There's no banner anywhere.

Edit: I'm okay with using another version in Windows if that's available - but if this is the only one that's available that's okay too

• christopheryan
    christopheryan
    Community Member

Update: Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work. However, I logged out of my account on the 1password app completely and logged back in from scratch with secret key and all and now it's registered my main password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @christopheryan!

This discussion has been closed.