How do I convert all of my existing "related items" into "attached files"?

Options
indirect
indirect
Community Member

Excited to see that items can now have attachments. Now how do I convert all my existing "related items" into attachments, since that's what I wanted the entire time in the first place?

1Password Version: 7.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.6
Referrer: forum-search:convert related files to attached files

Comments

• Hi @Indirect:

At this time, 1Password for Mac does not support automatically converting related items into attachments. Manually creating attachments would be your best bet right now. I can definitely see how this would be useful though, so I'll go ahead and put in a feature request about this. :smile:

Jack

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#969

• indirect
    indirect
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Jack, you are welcome @indirect! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• ionos
    ionos
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for the usefulness of this feature. I have too many linked documents to do this manually. Being able to convert the documents into attachments would finally allow me to move the entries with their linked/attached documents into other vaults.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback @ionos, noted :+1:

• sjn_ns
    sjn_ns
    Community Member
    Options

It would be great if this could be done globally. Like many others, I have lots of annoying 'strays' that were created when 1P temporarily lost its mind and changed from attached to linked documents.

I'm relieved and grateful that this functionality has been restored, but cleaning up the mess from the earlier misguided change is not something I'm looking forward to.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Understood @sjn_ns, I have let the developers know that you would find this useful too :+1:

• zedagent
    zedagent
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana, put in my vote as well. The change from attachments to related items when I migrated to a 1password.com account was a huge step backwards that I would love to "undo". I also can't seem to find a way to search or filter items in my vault by how many "related items" they have, which makes fixing this manually a challenge:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Noted, thank you as well @zedagent!

• dbates6
    dbates6
    Community Member
    Options

This is also driving me crazy. I have hundreds of extra documents that used to be attachments now littering my feed. I’d love for an automatic way to fix this.

In the meantime, perhaps you could publish an official way to do this manually? Perhaps with the least number of steps. Maybe I could set up a macro to help automate this.

• bwofford
    bwofford
    Community Member
    Options

When 1P.com was introduced some time ago, I can only assume developers evaluated the downside risks of changing the handling of attachments. Backtracking to restore the original and far more logical functionality has been much appreciated though it would also seem equally logical to prioritize some batch method to reunite the standalone items. Particularly for any orphaned items lost during any shuffling among vaults. The percentage of 1P users affected by these unwanted changes may be small though I contend we are among your most loyal users because 1P is a cornerstone of our overall computing experience.

• Thanks for the feedback @bwofford I've passed along your thoughts.

This discussion has been closed.