Firefox extension "Use Suggested Password" auto-fill not working

Hello!

I've started using 1Password today, on both my Macbook Pro (Work laptop) and my Windows 10 Desktop (detailed in the additional information on this post).

On both systems I am running Firefox Developer Edition (v94.0b4) with the 1P browser extension installed (2.1.7.beta) on the Windows 10 machine, and the latest stable extension on the Macbook.

1Password has been working perfectly for me aside from 1 very crucial feature which is the auto-fill for suggesting a new password (in a registration or change password form). Ability to auto-fill existing credentials and information such as names, emails and addresses works exactly as expected. However, when I am completing a form with a new password, the extension correctly shows a suggestion below the input, but clicking on it does nothing.

There's no feedback in the browser console. On the Mac it is using a fresh install of Firefox with no other extensions and no configuration changes from defaults aside from disabling browser-native auto-fill, so I don't believe there's any configuration I have introduced which is causing this to fail.

Any ideas where to look?

Cheers,
Emerson

1Password Version: 8.2.2 -- 80202080, on BETA channel
Extension Version: 2.1.7.beta
OS Version: Windows 10.0.19043.1237

Comments

• ebh
    ebh
    Community Member

Demonstration of behaviour on evernote registration page

Here's a gif showing the behaviour I'm experiencing on Evernote's registration page (but note this is happening on all sites I have tried so far, which is >15 different sites.

I know you can't see me clicking in the gif, but trust that I am :)

Also worth noting that going via the extension menu and selecting 'auto-fill' also does not work for new passwords (suggestions/generated)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @ebh ,
    Sounds like 1Password is unable to create new items in your vaults (which is what happens when you try to autofill a new password).

Can you please test it by trying to save a new login item and not by generating a password:

1. Go to https://fill.dev/form/login-simple
    2. Type in made up credentials into the fields (e.g. TestUser and TestPassword123).
    3. Click the "Save in 1Password" button and try to save it in your 1Password as a new login item.

Does that work as expected or did you get an error of some sort?
    In case that didn't work, can you please log into your 1Password.com account and check if you have Travel Mode turned on? It needs to be off in order for you to be able to create new data in your vaults. https://support.1password.com/travel-mode

• ebh
    ebh
    Community Member

Hi @ag_yaron ,

Thanks for your response. I am able to successfully save credentials that are hand-typed into the form and clicking the "Save in 1Password" button, as described. This is how I've been operating for the time being (pasting in passwords from the generator), however it does mean I need to remember to hit save before leaving the page or overwriting my clipboard which is not ideal.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the additional details @ebh .

In that case, my next recommendation would be to remove 1Password from your browser completely, then reinstall it: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

If you want the beta version, you can get it here: https://1password.com/browsers/beta/firefox/

Reinstalling it should get things back in order with the generated passwords, let us know how that went.

• ebh
    ebh
    Community Member

Thank you @ag_yaron

I uninstalled and re-installed and this is now working. I do find it peculiar however, as I was experiencing the same issue on both my machines, where the only common factor was the version of Firefox used.

I'm wondering if perhaps it had to do with the order of installation (installing the browser plugin before the native package was fully running and ready)

Interesting stuff though, and thank you once again for the help!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad to hear it @ebh .

I myself am not quite sure what could cause this on two different machines simultaneously. It sounds like it may be related to an account change (if you changed your Master Password, 2FA, Secret Key etc), but stranger things have happened in software :)

You are most welcome :+1:

• ebh
    ebh
    Community Member

The only change is that it was a brand new account. I registered yesterday and dived into implementation straight away. Perhaps there was a delay in account propagation among your various endpoints or something.

Thanks again for the help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Yaron, you are very welcome @ebh, and thank you for the updates and the investigation! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.