Secure sharing of password in latest update (v7.9)

Options
pentool
pentool
Community Member

Hi, I have just updated to the lates version (7.9) on my iOS devices. The description of the update states that now you can securely share your passwords with someone even if they don’t use 1PW.

Ok, so I have tried it. Selected “Share” and immediately I got a popup which said:
Be aware when you share. Sharing your items outside of 1PW sends them in plain text. Please be confident in the security of the apps you use when sharing.

I don’t understand. The update description stated sharing is now secure in this update, yet popup says it is in plain text. It is confusing.

iOS 14.8
1PW 7.9

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• pentool
    pentool
    Community Member
    Options

I think the popup text should be updated because the password does seem to be encrypted at the bottom.

• rudy
    edited October 2021
    Options

@pentool,

Thanks for writing in with your question. The new item sharing feature is only available to 1Password.com users, users of standalone vaults still have the previous implementation which carries the "be aware when you share" warning alert.

The resulting password/item is not encrypted for standalone users, it is obfuscated.

This discussion has been closed.