Autofill Freezes or take 60 seconds to load on Safari on iOS and iPadOS

Options
nnnn959lou771
nnnn959lou771
Community Member

I use an iPhone 8 and iPad Pro 10.5" using the most up to date system and 1Password software. Unfortunately, since updating to iOS 15 / the newest 1Password update the autofill feature for safari and other apps is essentially no longer usable for a normal work flow.

When attempting to use the autofill function or click on the "key" icon on the right side of the autofill toolbar, Safari freezes and I have to quit app completely or restart my phone. I have noticed if I wait about a minute the autofill options for 1Password log ins finally load, but waiting a minute for the system to unfreeze or load is way too long. I use the standard 1Password Families subscription, no dropbox link, etc.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue or if there is a patch on the way. Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.8.3
Extension Version: newest
OS Version: iOS 15.0.1

Comments

• Hi @nnnn959lou771:

We've been investigating reports of AutoFill taking a while to load fully. To get some more insight as to what might be happening, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• nnnn959lou771
    nnnn959lou771
    Community Member
    Options

[#LGQ-66727-358]

Thanks Jack. Look forward to the fix.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nnnn959lou771:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your message in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: LGQ-66727-358

• nnnn959lou771
    nnnn959lou771
    Community Member
    Options

Great thanks for following up.

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

• alastair_f
    alastair_f
    Community Member
    Options

I am having this problem too. My iPhone 12 is running iOS 15.01 and 1password is unusable. However, I am running 15.1 Beta 3 on my iPad which does not seem to have the same issue.

• Ben
    Options

Hey @alastair_f

That's really interesting. Thanks for the report. If not I completely understand, but would you be willing to try upgrading the iPhone to the 15.1 beta and see if that resolves the issue there? That would help rule that discrepancy in our out as a factor.

Ben

• sherifelabd
    sherifelabd
    Community Member
    Options

Me too I’m having the same problem with my iPhone 12 Pro and iPad Pro 10.5 pro both running on 15.0.1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for letting us know @sherifelabd, our developers are currently investigating this, so I will let them know that you have also encountered this :+1:

ref: apple-5510

• alastair_f
    alastair_f
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I have updated my iPhone to iOS 15.1 Beta 3 and that seems to have resolved the problem. Tested in apps and Chrome - I don’t use safari.

• sherifelabd
    sherifelabd
    Community Member
    Options

@alastair_f is there iOS Chrome extension or you mean chrome desktop?

• alastair_f
    alastair_f
    Community Member
    Options

The iOS Chrome I’ve been running Beta 3 all day and lag is minimal

• sherifelabd
    sherifelabd
    Community Member
    Options

@alastair_f thanks. So you have any idea of when is it expected to be launched?

• brank
    brank
    Community Member
    Options

I haven’t tried auto fill yet, but the now removed share sheets function never had delays or had issues. Hopefully they can fix this since it’s their new feature that overtook share sheets.

• Hi @nnnn959lou771 / @sherifelabd / @alastair_f:

I've been doing some further digging into this, and I was able to find reference to a few other customers seeing a similar issue, with a few potential solutions to try.

First I'd like to call out the specific issue to make sure we're all on the same page with these potential solutions. If opening 1Password from Password AutoFill (the suggestions in the QuickType bar or the key icon on the right of the QuickType bar) takes a while to load but does eventually open, these specific steps apply to you. If this isn't the issue you're seeing, let me know.

If this is what you're seeing, there's one of two possible solutions you can try:
    1. If you don't have two-factor authentication enabled on your Apple ID, try enabling it. Previous customers did not have two-factor authentication enabled on their Apple ID, and for whatever reason, enabling two-factor authentication resolved Password AutoFill being slow to open.
    2. If you are unable or unwilling to enable two-factor authentication on your Apple ID, there's an additional workaround that may also resolve this:

1. Download the 1Password app on your Apple device.
    2. Log out of your Apple ID account on your Apple device.
    3. Log into a second Apple ID account on your Apple device. (This can be a throw-away Apple ID account you create temporarily just for this specific purpose.)
    4. Log out of the second Apple ID account.
    5. Log back into your original Apple ID account.
    6. Go to Settings / Password / Autofill Passwords, unselect Keychain, select 1Password.

I'd just like to clarify one other thing: 1Password for Safari is our new extension for filling in Safari that we're very excited by, and Password AutoFill is an iOS feature that has been around for a couple years.

Jack

• nnnn959lou771
    nnnn959lou771
    Community Member
    Options

Everything seems to be working now with no delay using Autofill on iOS 15.0.2.
    Autofill is still an important feature given that it allows you to Autofill 1Password log ins on apps and only requires Touch ID/Face ID rather than manually typing your password compared to 1Password for Safari extension on iOS/iPad OS

• Glad to hear Password AutoFill seems to be behaving now @nnnn959lou771.

Jack

• snakeears2
    snakeears2
    Community Member
    Options

Jack P - this issue never went away for me... iPad OS running latest versions of iPad OS and 1P... have standalone licenses and sync locally, FWTW.

Any further updates on this?
    Thanks

• Hi @snakeears2:

Thanks for following up! Just to make sure we're all on the same page here, have you tried the troubleshooting steps I provided here? Let me know, and I can dig into it further with you!

Jack

• snakeears2
    snakeears2
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jack -

Yes, just tried the troubleshooting steps with Apple ID signout, etc--and unfortunately, no change. I used to immediately see the autofill panel at bottom of Safari window whenever my cursor was in a sign-on field.

This troubleshooting step didn't change the problem of the last few months--insane delay, require switching to another app and back to Safari...

Any additional suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

• Hey @snakeears2:

Thanks for following up. At this point, it might be best to take a closer look at your specific setup. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.