1Password Standalone, New Install: Cannot Create New Vault

ooglek
ooglek
Community Member

I use 1Password Standalone. I'm installing 1Password on a new computer and I do not wish to restore from a backup, I only want to create a new Vault.

However, there is no way for me to create a new vault. I can restore from a backup though. So I tried to create a new vault on another computer and export it, but it exported a .1pif file, which 1Password 7.8.6 does not seem to accept as something to run with.

I understand that 1Password wants me to use their accounts, but I'm dying from all of the monthly fees everyone wants to charge me, and I already pay Dropbox for other reasons, so there's no need for a 1Password account for me.

I cannot seem to dis-associate my Dropbox-stored 1Password.opvault from the app, nor create a separate .opvault file to copy to the new 1Password install on the new computer. I have even added the license already, hoping a new option would show up for me with a licensed version of the app to create a new vault or something, but alas, no.

What is the documented process for creating a new vault on a new 1Password Install after installing the Standalone License?

PS -- I truly hope, understanding the importance of data security and segmentation of some of its valued customers, that 1Password will continue to support those of us who wish to choose and control where our data lives, which I believe has some amount of influence on 1Password's success as a security-first company.

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: MacOS 11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ooglek
    ooglek
    Community Member

I've added a license to the app, but I do not see the option of "New Vault on this PC" as described here: https://1password.community/discussion/107039/how-do-i-create-a-standalone-vault

While there is a "File > New Vault" option, It is inactive and not selectable.
    This was covered here, but also does not help: https://1password.community/discussion/104771/mac-1password-7-3-how-to-create-a-standalone-vault-alongside-my-hosted-account

It seems 2 years ago this was removed and then restored in 7.3.3, but maybe removed again?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/1Password/comments/cew6yn/1password_restores_the_ability_to_create/

I truly have tried all the avenues I can think of to get this working, but I am now stuck.

• ooglek
    ooglek
    Community Member

OK I think I figured it out. This is for future people looking to do the same.

Find another computer you have 1Password Standalone installed on.
    1. File > New Vault
    2. Set Name, Password, Hint
    3. Open Preferences
    4. Click the Sync tab
    5. Under the new vault, select Sync with Folder <-- Select Folder
    6. Save the file somewhere

You now have an empty 1Password.opvault file/directory that you can now copy to the new computer and restore 1Password with.

Pretty annoying; if the license is installed for Standalone, some of the options under File should appear, or a new option in the setup process should appear. I understand the thought process for the way it is, but it seems like too many extra hoops to have to jump through.

• @ooglek

I'm sorry you had trouble. We didn’t take any functionality away. With a new installation you should be able to create a new vault by first applying your license to the installation. Once that's done the options will be present.

• ooglek
    ooglek
    Community Member

I agree, I should be able to, but I was not. Since I was not creating a new 1Password Account or logging into one, I could not create a new vault, even after clicking on the license.1password file and confirming that the license was active on the PC.

Thus, I had to create an effectively empty vault on a computer with 1Password installed, then copy it to the new computer. This was on 7.8.6, I have not tried it on 7.8.7 or 7.8.8.

This discussion has been closed.