Cannot Edit Masked Email Entry

Currently, there is no way to edit an Masked Email Entry, neither macOS 1Password 8 nor 1password.com allow to edit.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @OscarGong ,

Masked emails are created in Fastmail and are then being displayed in 1Password, so we can't edit them directly. Can you please elaborate on your use case and in which situations you find the need to edit a masked email? Are you trying to replace the entire email or just change a part of it?

• OscarGong
    OscarGong
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

Hi @ag_yaron,

I was trying to change the registered email of a website to my other email address.
    I think it would be also applied if I want to create a new account on a website which already have an existing account, I often duplicate the old entry and modify the copy.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @OscarGong ,
    Thanks for clarifying.

While you can't edit the masked email field, you can delete it, which will allow you to input a new email (not a masked one but a regular email address). Does that help?

If you want to create a new account on a website, it is best to save a brand new login on the page and not duplicate an existing login, since 1Password saves a lot of metadata on the page it might affect things if you duplicate it and edit the credentials. It is best to save a new login directly from the webpage itself.

• OscarGong
    OscarGong
    Community Member

Hi @ag_yaron,

Thank for your advice, they are really helpful!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi, chiming in on a somewhat similar case:

If I wanted to change one of my existing logins to a fast mail-masked email ID, how would I do that in 1P, so that it is integrated in Fastmail? It looks like the Fastmail integration only pops up when creating a new account. But for those dudes like me, who have been on 1P for ages, it surely would be interesting to convert existing real-email account entries into Fastmail-enabled ones.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Yaron, you are very welcome @OscarGong :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ovonquadt:

Does the website allow you to change your username or email address?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@ag_ana yes.
    I have tried on several websites. Went to edit profile and change email address. On none of the sites I tried did 1P suggest fastmail masking.

• @ovonquadt

That's right. Currently 1Password only offers to create a masked email when you are on a registration page for a site. If you are on a page where you're attempting to change your existing email address to a masked one, we recommend creating the masked email in Fastmail directly and then copying it to paste into the email change form of the site you're on.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Thanks. It would make a lot of sense to extend the Fastmail integration beyond the new-account creation workflow.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I will pass your feedback to the team @ovonquadt :+1:

• MrAdam
    MrAdam
    Community Member

+1 for this request. I'd love to change my old accounts to use masked emails instead!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Noted, thank you @MrAdam :+1:

• stevenafc
    stevenafc
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

+1 I assumed (more fool me) this would be standard functionality as part of the integration.

The advertising page for this feature is pretty sneaky.

• "Create a new masked email address without ever leaving the sign-up page. Now, keeping your email anonymous is as easy as generating a strong password. Italics is not true.
    • "Separate all your online identities and manage it all from a single account." - except existing ones.
    • "the same way you’d get a new, random password right when you’re signing up."

It should be clear that this does not work in anyway for existing accounts, making it a lot less valuable for anyone who has existing accounts... which is everyone. Albeit you can trial it.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the additional input @stevenafc , we hope to add this functionality in a future update.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @AndrewParker ,
    Thanks for the valuable feedback here.

Sorry you had to research this topic beyond our documentation. This integration with Fastmail currently indeed only works for new signup pages and new login items, and questions or important pieces of information such as Fastmail's limitations should be found on Fastmail's support, as we're sort of a middleman that delivers new masked emails from them to you and have no impact or say on such matters.

However, I can definitely see how such information might be helpful for some users directly on our website, I'll forward your request to the team.
    Thanks again for bringing this up.

This discussion has been closed.