Browser plugin does not integrate with desktop app

Options
vadviktor
vadviktor
Community Member

I've just upgraded to 1Password for Linux 8.3.0 and Chrome plugin is at 2.1.3. The communication between the two is broken, can't get the browser plugin to pick it up again with the desktop app. Please help, this is very frustrating.

1Password Version: 8.3.0
Extension Version: 2.1.3
OS Version: Manjaro Linux
Referrer: forum-search:Browser plugin does not integrate with desktop app

Comments

• juneidy
    juneidy
    Community Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

Same thing happening here too. Looks like they broke the integration.

Edit: Worst of all is that I cannot downgrade my 1password linux to 8.2.0.

At least provide a way to downgrade/rollback if things are going to break...

• vadviktor
    vadviktor
    Community Member
    Options

I have just received an update to the desktop app, v8.3.1 and it fixed this issue. Thanks, 1password team! :+1: :smile:

• Always a pleasure to help, @vadviktor! 😃 Thanks for making us aware of the issue!

• @juneidy if you'd like us to assist you with this, send a quick email at support+linux@1Password.com, and we'll get started digging into your the particulars of the issue on your behalf. If you do choose to contact us over there, please include a link to this conversation, so we know it's you! Hope to help get things running properly for you. 👍

• juneidy
    juneidy
    Community Member
    Options

8.3.1 fixed it. Fantastic work!

• @juneidy :+1: :chuffed:

• ceiphr
    ceiphr
    Community Member
    Options

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 21.10. Firefox was migrated from the APT package to the SNAP package. The browser extension no longer talks to the desktop client. Extension v2.1.3. Desktop v8.3.0.

• ceiphr
    ceiphr
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

Just upgraded the desktop client to Beta v8.4.0. Issue still occurring.

• Hi @ceiphr, thanks for letting us know the details of how this problem came up for you.

This is a known issue - the Snap installation of Firefox is sandboxed, which means that the 1Password extension will have trouble communicating out to the 1Password for Linux app, which is outside the sandboxing. Are you able to switch to an apt install of Firefox, by any chance?

• ceiphr
    ceiphr
    Community Member
    Options

According to Canonical and Mozilla, it seems they don't intend to support the apt version and instead encourage people to either use the snap or their distro-agnostic builds for amd64 and i386:
    https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/feature-freeze-exception-seeding-the-official-firefox-snap-in-ubuntu-desktop/24210?u=d0od

Is there someway I can configure the snap permissions so the desktop client and extension can talk, or do you recommend the distro-agnostic builds?

• Thanks for this question, @ceiphr. I'll follow up on this for you and should have more for you soon. 👍

• PeterG_1P
    edited November 2021
    Options

And we're back, sooner than expected!

Is there someway I can configure the snap permissions so the desktop client and extension can talk, or do you recommend the distro-agnostic builds?

It looks like there's not much you can do to configure the snap permissions in a way that would solve the issue. For that reason, we recommend going with the distro-agnostic builds of Firefox, at least for now.

Our engineers may be able to design a solution so that snap setups won't have this issue in the future, but for now the distro-agnostic setup is the way to go.

Thanks again - and I hope that this is a helpful first step towards full app functionality for you! Let me know if you're able to get everything working, or if we can be of further help. We're happy to assist.

• ceiphr
    ceiphr
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the quick feedback!

I'm getting this error when using the distro-agnostic builds:

This is on Firefox v94 and there is no update.

• Hi @ceiphr, sorry to hear of this subsequent issue! I'm happy to dig into the details and figure out the source of the problem here.

In order to do that, we'll need to go over some specific aspects of your setup - so I'll ask you to send us a quick email at support+linux@1Password.com. Even just a brief, "Hello, it's me, here's a link to our forum discussion" will be enough for our team to take the next step. I'll look forward to seeing you over there, and to getting this sorted out for you! 😀

• ceiphr
    ceiphr
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds good!

• PeterG_1P
    edited November 2021
    Options

Just a confirmation: we've received your message, @ceiphr , and will continue the conversation over there. Thanks for reaching out!

ref: FTS-77352-848

This discussion has been closed.