Regenerating and activating secret key in app.

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

Hi 👋

This question is closely related to a other topic and I like to isolate it from the previous topic.
This weekend I regenerated the secret key. The last atempt was succesfull on 9-10.
I opened my vault and had to insert my new key and master password as usual.
I took me some to do that because I mistyped 1 character 4 times 😅
But finally the key seemed to be accepted
When opening the vault again 1 password asked me for the master key again.
Later autofill asked for the same thing : need for authorization.

Somewhat later i continued ….no more warnings and everything ok
I also changed the master key without any problems
Any idea what causes this ? Is it a bug or syncing issue? Is it a security issue for me?
Please advice 🙏

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

In the meantime I will try to regenerate the secret key again (later on) to see if this issue is still there.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @F_9083x!

This sounds normal: after you changed your credentials, 1Password asked you to enter your Master Password once before it could unlock via Touch ID or Face ID once again.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I checked it out this weekend
    When only regenerating the secret key ( not changing the masterkey) I see different situations.
    Sometimes I need to login twice with my new secret key and masterkey.. Sometimes only one time is enough.
    Is there a explanation for that? Matter of syncing?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Regenerated a new secret key and inserted the excisting masterkey. After acception. I reopened the vault and had to do the same thing : new secret key and masterkey…
    There’s no patron? One time logging in with new secret key and current master key is enough. Other time twice …
    In both situations the secret key is new and master key iis same/ not changed.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Now I am sure : after regenerating the security key. i opened the vault and needed to insert the new secret key and my masterkey. I closed the app and reopened the app in the same way ( fingerprint)
    This time there was no need to fill in my credentials ( secret key and masterkey).
    Everything works fine. Why I succeed in one time and so many times I neeeded fill in secret key and masterkey twice?
    Hope to hear from you 🙏

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

Hi support,
    I know it’s a good habit to be patient but want to avoid to be forgotten 😁 Can you please hep me out with my last question about “Regenerating and activating secret key in app.” In IOS topic. Thank you 👍

• Hi @F_9083x,

Thanks for your patience :smile: That is something we've seen a few times before, but haven't been able to narrow down just yet. If you do regenerate your Secret Key again and experience the same issue, would you mind sending in a diagnostic report from your device? If it does occur, please note the time when the unexpected second authentication prompt appears, and include it in the email so we know where to look in the logs.

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Thanks , I will be back 🙏 May take some time 👋

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood :+1: :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi I sent you a diagnostic report to support+forum@1password.com with all details at 17:09 (one hour ago)
    Did not get any number from bitbot…nothing in my spam folder🤔 Please let me know what to do 🙏👋

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@F_9083x:

We can look for your email manually. Did you send the message from the same email you use here on the forum?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi there😊 No, I used my mail address that belongs to my 1password account.
    The forum mail account is a different one.
    Message was delivered 17:09 yesterday containing forum account name etc.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@F_9083x:

Found it! We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: VZS-71177-167

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Glad you found it 😊 This weekend (rainy day) …I generated the secret key several times

First time was going smoothly ..The second time I might have made my mistake when entering the masterkey and the screen freezed but I managed to insert the right credentials. 3rd attempt I decided to reenter my masterkey.because the login was not accepted. All in all I am curious what will be outcome of the diagnose report. But as you can see mistyping can also be the reason for not being accepted 🤔After all attempts this weekend I noticed that once the secret key and master key were accepted I was logged in for “ever”. 1 password did not ask me again as in the previous attempts ( see diagnose report).And in case of the diagnose report I was 99,9 % sure I used the right credentials.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the additional details @F_9083x. If you haven't been prompted for your credentials anymore, I think things might have been sorted out already, but we will see if the diagnostics report has any hints as to what might have happened :+1:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi,
    I know that I am not the only 😁

Can you give me an indication of the time support needs to investigate and answer?
    Is it a matter of days or weeks? Or have they allready answered and did I miss something
    Have a good weekend👋

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@F_9083x:

I see that my colleague Blake replied to you 4 days ago. Can you please also check your spam folder, just in case the message ended there?

Have a good weekend👋

Thank you, you too!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

4 days ago ? I cannot find a trace of that mail in both accounts. I hoped to see in my a main account that is attached to my subscription ( where I sent the diagnose report from). Can you please say in general what Blake had to say?

• @F_9083x

I can confirm the message was sent to the email address we received the diagnostic report from. And, actually, it was from our colleague Josh, not Blake. Sorry about the mixup on that. I've re-sent the email, in hopes it reaches you this time. Please let me know if you're still not receiving it.

The message from Josh was:

Thanks so much for the diagnostics report, I'm sorry for the delay in responding.

Taking a look into your report it appears that 1Password had a connection issue, the exact details of what happened aren't entirely easy to narrow down, may have just been an 'internet weather' situation. As this issue has resolved itself self it sounds like there was likely an issue with your network or the connection between the app and our servers.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this caused.

If you're still having trouble please reply to that email so we can troubleshoot further.

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Thank you so much🙏 Good to hear from you !

I still did not receive the mail ..but your message is clear.

I hope to close this case now and have some final remarks.

The original issue was that once (after regenerating) the secret key and masterkey was accepted : 1password gave me an alert to sign in again. That issue indeed resolved itself I think too.

What about regenerating the secret key and not succeeding to log in ONE time right after regenerating secret key? That maybe caused by me filling in the wrong credentials. Could this also be due to “bad weather” on the internet between Canada and my hometown? Does that need any further investigation or should we say once the secret key and masterkey are accepted I am fine and safe?
    Especially when there’s no popup after acceptance to login again of course.

Otherwise I keep on regenerating 😬..There seems to be a small change to login in one time right after regenerating the secret key 😅
    Most of the time it takes me about 2 or 3 attempts to fill in the code of the secret key and masterkey : bad weather or bad spelling

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@Ben ...can you please help me out with my last remark (6th november) concerning the diagnose report and issue? See above..that remark was related to the issue..and more about the number of attempts I need to login after regenerating the secret key.

“What about regenerating the secret key and not succeeding to log in ONE time right after regenerating secret key? That maybe caused by me filling in the wrong credentials. Could this also be due to “bad weather” on the internet between Canada and my hometown? Does that need any further investigation or should we say once the secret key and masterkey are accepted I am fine and safe?”

Hope you understand ( English is not my native language😔)Hope to hear from you 👋

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

Howdy Ben or colleague,

I am waiting for an answer concerning https://1password.community/discussion/124128/regenerating-and-activating-secret-key-in-app
    I posted 2 remarks after Ben answered me on november 5th. Can someone please answer me or tell me what is the reason for not answering? The problem is that I cannot receive any mails from support (not in any spam folder) so I need to continue the conversation through the forum.

Regards,

• Hi @F_9083x,

If you add an item to 1Password for iOS does that item appear when you sign in at https://my.1password.com/ ? If so then you're all set.

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    I will check that. I will add some new items in my IOS and let you know what I see there.
    Let you know soon🙏

• Great; thank you. And I apologize that we took so long to respond to you. I do think it might be worth investigating with your mail provider why you're unable to receive emails we're sending you, as that might cause further difficulties in the future. 😳

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

I created a new password item in my ios vault by the name “test for Ben” and logged into my1password.com with my secret key and masterkey. I opened the vault and the “test for Ben”appeared.
    Does this mean I am ok and secure and that the reason why I have difficulties to login (with new secret key and masterkey after regenerating the secret key is not relevant anymore? As I told you before the reason can be that I am the cause by mistyping the password(s) or a connection error like in the original issue of this case.
    Whatever the reason is, this can happen me again in the future and would like to now if am secure

The security officer of my provider is now investigating the mail issue. The first question they have to 1password is what kind of mail address did Josh use and you use to answer me in the first week of november?

Hope to hear from you 👌

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@F_9083x:

Does this mean I am ok and secure and that the reason why I have difficulties to login (with new secret key and masterkey after regenerating the secret key is not relevant anymore?

It seems like this is the case: if you are able to login now, the previous login issues are not relevant. By all means let us know if you experience something similar again however :+1:

The security officer of my provider is now investigating the mail issue. The first question they have to 1password is what kind of mail address did Josh use and you use to answer me in the first week of november?

The email came from support@1password.com :+1:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana,

I managed to log in at once 🥳I regenerated my secret key. I opened the 1password app and did not enter my new secret key and masterkey by , I first clicked away the popup to so called login error field : “not now”.

Now I can approach my vault and I copied my masterkey , swiped the app from my screen and entered the app again.
    Then got the same messaga about the login error and ….
    Pasted my masterkey and then inserted manually my new secret key. This might be the solution for avoiding mistakes. Sounds a bit difficult but it works and copied password is gone in 90 seconds😀What do you think? IS this a good workaround?

I wil inform my provider about the mailadress.

Have a nice weekend🙏🙏👋

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@F_9083x:

Pasted my masterkey and then inserted manually my new secret key. This might be the solution for avoiding mistakes. Sounds a bit difficult but it works and copied password is gone in 90 seconds😀What do you think? IS this a good workaround?

Yes, I think this is a good way to add your account :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Thank you AG_ANA,,

About the mails from support@1password.com ,the security officer of my internet provider investigated all mails that were sent to my email adresss. The mails from support@1password.com were missing. The support officer cannot see the mails that not reached me. These mails must have been blocked earlier and did not reach the sever of my provider.
    I have no idea how to solve this issue. I tried all the tricks. Maybe we can do a test with another address?

This discussion has been closed.