2FA QR code scan feature missing in 1password8 Early Access Beta

shermix
shermix
Community Member

I can not scan 2FA QR codes for OTPs from Mac desktop app as I could have it in 1password7. Is it an intentional feature removal or is it yet t be built in? I don’t know even how to add QR code URL in OTP section in the new 1password8 app.

1Password Version: 8.2.2
Extension Version: 2.1.3
OS Version: macOS 11.6

Comments

• rtgibbons
    rtgibbons
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

Came to report same issue. But running extension version 2.1.2 in Safari - I do have the option when editing via the 1P Safari extension to Scan QR, but it's not in the desktop app. I didn't notice it before; so I need to test it out.

Update: Verified to Scan via 1P Extension, but it's not a popup window, it just scans the page.

1P Version 8.2.2
    Extension Version: 2.1.2
    OS Version: macOS 11.6

• P4sca1
    P4sca1
    Community Member

Scanning a QR from anywhere on the screen with the desktop app was a very useful feature. Would be great if it could be added back!

• rtgibbons
    rtgibbons
    Community Member

.. Should have included that in my response, but I agree. It'd be nice to have it in the desktop app as a pop up to scan an area of the screen like before.

For those needing it; my work around was to use the my Phone / iPad to scan the QR code.

• Hey folks,

Thanks for writing in. This type of feedback can help us prioritize our efforts. Could you please help me understand where scanning in the desktop app is a better / more necessary workflow vs using 1Password in the Browser to do so?

Thanks!

Ben

• shermix
    shermix
    Community Member

For example, if I want to add a 2FA from Twitch website, I can not do that independently on desktop app. For that I have to now pull of the 1password mobile app. That is the pain point. Not every site giving 2FA options give codes, they are QR code only.

• Hi @shermix:

In this case you can scan the QR code using 1Password in the browser. Open 1Password from the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar, then select the item menu, then Scan QR Code:

Jack

• shermix
    shermix
    Community Member

It worked great @jack.platten but I fear if in future there is some app outside browser which I have to set 2FA for I would be unable to scan qr code from desktop like before.

• Thanks @shermix. If you come across any examples where that is the case we'd be interested to hear. Of course we'd love to do everything everyone wants, but there are only so many hours in the day. 😬 And as such, we have to prioritize. Having specific situations we can reference might help make this more of a priority.

Ben

• rtgibbons
    rtgibbons
    Community Member

There are some desktop apps that allow you to setup 2FA when managing your account (Discord for example). I personally always use desktop apps whenever possible, and if not I create SSB for them (with tools like Coherence or Unite). These have hit or miss functionality with browser plugins, especially with ones that do checks on the version.

Also; It's a very clunky UX right now. It's a location where everyone expects to see the functionality and when working in the desktop app to edit an object with 2FA, it looks like it's missing.

• 11p
    11p
    Community Member

Guys please understand there are a lot of users that used 1P7 standalone synced with iCloud or Dropbox. We're now being forced into a subscription and being told to use a browser to enter our passwords. We understand how safe the browser is, but will never get used to entering our life's passwords into a browser. Most of us will never use the browser app and will always use the standalone so it makes sense to have all features that are in the browser app, available in the standalone. The scan QR code worked perfectly in 1P7, can't understand why that feature was removed.

• rmpel
    rmpel
    Community Member

I came here because I too am missing this feature in the Desktop app (macOS Monterey, 1P version 8.5.0 80500057).
    I have not tried the browser add-on to do this, partly because I have yet to add the extension to Chrome, but I will the next time I need to add 2FA to an account.

Reason for chiming in; I think most users edit their items in the main app, not in the browser plugin.
    Adding new password, maybe, but editing and adding 2FA after the fact? ... don't think so.
    At least all users I know (about two hands full) feel the same way as I do; feeling more comfortable using the real application to edit important data... Maybe we're just old-fashioned that way ;)

Apart from missing a few other features, the beta performs great! Absolutely love it!

• I can see that perspective. To me, it makes sense to interact with things that are within the browser (such as QR codes on websites) with the browser extension. But there will always be other thoughts and workflows that have developed. Hopefully we'll be able to accommodate everyone here. :)

Ben

• Hi folks,

1Password 8.5.0-79 beta now has support for scanning the barcode while editing the item inside the desktop app.

• shermix
    shermix
    Community Member

Great!

• :+1: :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.