Feature request - save 2FA Backup Codes

I'm setting up 2FA and using 1Password for many of my online accounts, but this request could be useful for people using other authenticator apps. As you know, some sites provide a set of "Backup Codes" which you can use in case you don't have access to your authenticator app. I'd like to request a dedicated field in the Login where we could paste in the backup codes. Obviously we could just use the Notes field but I think this is worth having it's own field. Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Lazarus Long!

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to to share this feedback! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password even better.

I can see how this could be useful to you, so while I cannot make any promises, I can tell you that I have shared your feedback internally :)

Once again, thank you and have a wonderful day!

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#212

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member

+1, a separate field would be nice to have for this. Maybe also a suggestion by 1PW when you add a TOTP that backup codes should be added too.

• ejunkie
    ejunkie
    Community Member

+1, a seperate field would be great because we could use Markdown to cross out used Backup Codes.

• Hi @rctneil and @ejunkie,

I've added both your voices to the feedback as well. :smile:

Thank you!

• khaosspawn
    khaosspawn
    Community Member

+1 from me also

While we're at it - maybe those security questions and answers? "What was your first pet?" etc.

• agaton
    agaton
    Community Member

@khaosspawn

Security questions and answers are already available.

You can create your own question and also generate a random answer:

• Quite so, @agaton - thanks for highlighting this! πŸ‘

• khaosspawn
    khaosspawn
    Community Member

Oh wow - is this in 1P7? I'm not seeing options there.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
  • RogueScholar
    RogueScholar
    Community Member

As an extension of this request, could we also get the table syntax turned on in the Markdown parser? I just encountered a site that only offers the Grid-style of 2FA for its accounts. My intention was to simply recreate it in the Notes field as a Markdown table, but the parser didn't render it. Then when I was reading the parser's documentation, I found:

Further, it optionally supports parsing footnotes, GitHub-Flavored tables, GitHub-Flavored task lists and strikethrough. [1]

I made do using Pandoc to turn the Markdown table I'd made into a PDF and uploading that as an attachment to 1Password, but it's one hell of a kludge compared to just being able to see it in table format in the Notes. I think a strong case can be made for all four of those elements to be turned on in the Notes field, in fact.

• DanBrotsky
    DanBrotsky
    Community Member

+1 for tables and +1 for a new "section" type to hold the backup codes. That is, in the same way you have a section type for security questions, it would be great to have one for backup codes that automatically fills in 10 fields with "backup code 1", ... "backup code 10"

• mia
    mia
    Community Member

+1 for tables and +1 for a new "section" type to hold the backup codes. --- me too!!

• dentyber
    dentyber
    Community Member

I personally put my backup codes in a "password" type field. It does the job for me!

• cantgetagoodsn
    cantgetagoodsn
    Community Member

+1

• Thanks all for your feedback so far, we've been keeping track of the number of people interested in this feature :)

• TheCowGoesWoof
    TheCowGoesWoof
    Community Member
    • 1 for 2FA backup codes :)
  • Thanks for the feedback here, folks. We'll continue to keep track of demand for this feature request! πŸ˜ƒ

• KH9882
    KH9882
    Community Member

+1

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member

+1 backup codes are a great suggestion.

Thanks to @agaton for pointing out that security questions are in there now.

Also I just noticed that the Firefox extension for 1Password now works, ie. it brings up the inline menu for login choices. Thanks!! (I'm now running the nightly 1Password 8 for Mac and the Firefox Nightly along with the macOS beta- living on the bleeding edge is usually fun).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Noted @KH9882 and @mirv, thank you :+1:

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member

+1 yes please have a dedicated backup code section with markdown

• Noted, @TravelSD. Thanks for the suggestion! πŸ˜€

This discussion has been closed.