Classic extension for 1Password V8

jkav
jkav
Community Member
edited October 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I do not currently use 1Password X. I like the classic extension much more. If/when 1Password 8 for Mac is released, will classic extensions continue to be supported? It seems like the classic extensions might be sunset soon.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jkav!

All development is going towards the new 1Password in the browser extension, so this is the one that 1Password 8 will work with. Is there anything specific about the classic extension that you like more?

• _Roy
    _Roy
    Community Member

From my very limited attempt at using the new extension - it appears to require weaker security settings in Firefox. It asks me not to use private windows and to allow websites to store data. I don't want to do this and so haven't tested it out.

• @_Roy

I wouldn't necessarily say that it has weaker settings. It's just the way the new version of 1Password for Firefox runs in your browser. The 1Password classic extension is a companion app extension, meaning it cannot work on its own and requires that you have the 1Password app installed.

When we initially launched 1Password for your browser (formerly known as 1Password X), we implemented it as a web extension. This means it can work independently in your browser, without the need for the desktop app. In order to achieve this, it establishes an IDBDatabase connection directly to your 1Password account to allow you to make changes to items in that database. In order to facilitate this connection, it has to store the preferences in your browser cache. Having Firefox set to "Never remember history" effectively blocks 1Password from writing anything to the cache. That being said, 1Password is still fully supported in Private Windows, if that is how you wish to use it.

I can assure you your privacy remains our top priority and we follow all of the same security precautions to connect to your 1Password account in the browser that we use in the app. For additional clarity, I've linked some handy guides for you below that explains how we handle security when browsing:

https://support.1password.com/1password-browser-security/
    https://support.1password.com/secure-remote-password/

Do not hesitate to let us know if you have additional questions.

This discussion has been closed.