Missing Share

How exciting. 1Password was going to allow sharing! I had both feelings of anxiety (as to how you folks are doing it) and relief (my father-in-law can leave me alone finally when they need that Wifi password!).

So I followed the instructions for "Windows". Got to step 3 and full stop. There was no "Share" when I right click on a login item or password item.

What is going on?!!!

1Password Version: 7.9.822
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Version 20H2

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @laugher!

That shouldn't happen! For confirmation, do you have your 1Password Membership account added to the 1Password for Windows app already?

• laugher
    laugher
    Community Member

Hello @ag_ana
    Based on the question you asked, I am beginning to think that the sharing function only works if you have a 1password.com account?

FYI, I am still using the old Dropbox vault.

• Pete248
    Pete248
    Community Member

Same on Mac. No share option available. I'm too using single license and sync via iCloud.
    In case share only works with a 1Password membership, you should have mentioned this when you advertised this feature. Saves people from the frustration of trying to find a feature that is not available.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@laugher, @Pete248:

That is correct: the sharing feature requires a 1Password Membership to work, it's not available for standalone vaults. Apologies for the confusion!

• dbogus1
    dbogus1
    Community Member

I do have my 1Password Membership added to my windows app (its a family membership), and I do not see the sharing option in the app either. I can access the share option from the browser plugin on chrome. When I do so it opens the Windows app, but then nothing...no additional dialogs or anything is presented. and I do not have the vertical ellipse next to the Favorites icon either.

• PeterG_1P
    edited October 2021

HI @dbogus1, what version of 1Password are you currently running? In the Windows app, you can find this info by going to 1Password > Settings > Update. We'll be happy to sort this out for you. 😀

• dbogus1
    dbogus1
    Community Member

Hello @PeterG_1P . The Windows app is version 7.9.822.

• Hmm. That's particularly odd.

Could you please create a diagnostics report for 1Password, and then include that diagnostic in an email to support+windows@1password.com so we could take a closer look at things with you?

• laugher
    laugher
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

@ag_ana - Thank you. Given we have effectively paid upfront the cost of 1Password, I am feeling a little left out of the action.

The rationale as to why I continue to use Dropbox is because I can ask Dropbox to hold my data in a geographical location that is local to me. Your team may be aware of security policies where some (most) governments and corporations have policies in place to ensure sensitive data (such as logins/passwords) are stored in a geographically localized cloud. This is one of the reasons why I haven't switched over to a subscription model.

Having said all that and without having seen how the sharing works, perhaps its worthwhile to consider how this could work for your standalone license customers still using standalone vaults or even allowing us to have a login to 1Password.com for the purpose of this sharing to work for us too. We are your customers too and it is beginning to feel like we are being left out in the cold alley.

The transfer of secrets from Dropbox <-> 1Password Client <--> 1Password.com Cloud would arguably still be secure while the expiration of all secrets will mean we do not abuse your storage contracts on 1Password.com Cloud. To me as an architect, this is all readily achievable. It does open up the possibility of policy violation in my case but as long as there is an expiration tag on all objects and the 1Password team does have automation in place to clean out cached secrets, I am sure I can get this risk assessed as a risk that has an acceptable level of mitigation.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@laugher:

Thank you for all the feedback!

The rationale as to why I continue to use Dropbox is because I can ask Dropbox to hold my data in a geographical location that is local to me. Your team may be aware of security policies where some (most) governments and corporations have policies in place to ensure sensitive data (such as logins/passwords) are stored in a geographically localized cloud. This is one of the reasons why I haven't switched over to a subscription model.

We do have multiple geographical locations already, so I assume neither 1Password.ca nor 1Password.eu would work for you, correct?

1Password in your region

• laugher
    laugher
    Community Member

Unfortunately no. 😭

• dbogus1
    dbogus1
    Community Member

Hello @Blake . The Windows diagnostics report has been sent.

• dbogus1
    dbogus1
    Community Member

So I found the issue with the "missing" share option in the Windows app. In the blog entry about this new feature, it shows using the web browser version of 1Pass without specifically mentioning that is the case (and I did not recognized that fact). So I was looking for the vertical ellipse / share menu/ share option in the Windows app as shown in the blog’s video, and of course that does not exist. I did not think to right click an item, and that action is not mentioned in the blog entry. But the right click does indeed present the share option, and choosing it does then drop the user into the browser version of 1Pass to complete the sharing operation.

• Sorry for the confusion there @dbogus1, though, I'm glad to hear you got things figured out!

In the Blog we're actually showing you 1Password 8, not 1Password.com -- if you're still using 1Password 7, that might have been where the confusion stems from.

For future reference, we've outlined the instructions on how to Share Items over on our Support Page, which can be found here. I hope this helps! 💙

This discussion has been closed.