To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1Password Family functionality?

giusep71
giusep71
Community Member

Hi everyone. I'm trying to figure out how things work within 1P Family. Meaning people granted to join the account, what are they allowed to do, what functionalities on password generating and password storing will have, etc. How all of the people within the account will see or won't see other people data etc.
I haven't come across any explicatory video whatsoever. Can you help me understand how that works?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @giusep71

We'd be happy to help with that. The general flow is that a family member is invited by a family organizer (generally the person who signed up for the 1Password Families membership), they accept the invitation, and then the organizer confirms their account. Once that has happened the new member will have access to all of the functions of 1Password Families, including the ability to use the apps, password generator, sharing features etc. A guide on getting this process started is available here:

Add and remove family members

By default they'll have access to their own Personal vault, which is unique to them and nobody else can see, as well as the built-in Shared vault which all family members can view and save items in. No one ever has access to anyone else's Personal vault, unless that person shares their credentials for 1Password. Additional vaults with more specific sharing can be established:

Share passwords with your family

Does that help? Please let me know if you have any addtional questions.

Ben

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member

Hi Ben. Thanks for your feedback.
    Basically you confirm within the account, there's one organiser and other family members invited, they all have their own personal vault. And such vault can not be seen edited or manipulated by other family members or by the organiser. And users/family members can basically do whatever they want within their own vaults. Is that all correct?

I haven't found any video showcasing "family" account features. Do you know any?

• Hi again @giusep71

That's correct, 1Password Families:

• Includes up to 5 people (with room to grow), all paid with a single subscription.
    • Everyone gets their own account password, which they’ll use to unlock 1Password.
    • The family organizer is responsible for managing the family and what each person has access to.

Each family member starts with two vaults:

• Everyone in your family has their own Private vault. You can’t see what’s in theirs, and they can’t see what’s in yours. Store things like your email login and social media passwords in your Private vault.

• 1Password Families includes a Shared vault for items everyone in your family needs. It’s a great place for your Wi-Fi password and Netflix login, for example.

Additionally, another great feature of the family organizer is the ability to recover a family members account if they forget their account password or can’t find their Secret Key.

You can find more information below at these helpful links:

About family organizers in 1Password Families
    About 1Password Families
    Implement a recovery plan for your family

I hope that helps!

Josephine

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member

Does 1Password the accounts version work without an internet connection? With the standalone version I have all 1P data is stored on my drive. Will with a 1P account that data be stored as well on my drive or elsewhere and in that case will I be able to access information within 1P when I'm off the grid?

• @giusep71

Does 1Password the accounts version work without an internet connection?

Yes it does.

With the standalone version I have all 1P data is stored on my drive. Will with a 1P account that data be stored as well on my drive or elsewhere and in that case will I be able to access information within 1P when I'm off the

1Password accounts work the same way. The client apps work from a locally stored database that syncs when you are online. :+1:

Ben

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member

Thanks

• You're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.