Disable chrome payment methods override

I use 1password for passwords, but I rely on Chrome for storing credit cards. The 1Password X extension is great, but it prevents chrome from auto-filling in credit card information. There is a setting for this in chrome but it is explicitly disabled (and says this extension is controlling the setting).

Would it be possible to provide a configuration option for 1Password X to allow chrome to still manage payment method fields?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 1.20.0
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @dnathe4th ,

Do you have a specific reason to not let 1Password autofill your credit cards as well? Pretty sure it will do what you want and more:

1. Open your browser.
    2. Click the 1Password icon on the top right and unlock it.
    3. Click the big PLUS icon in the 1Password window to reveal the menu and select "Credit Card" from the list of options.
    4. A new tab will open where you can create a new credit card item, which you will be able to use to autofill credit card forms on websites. Input your credit card's details and click on "Save" at the bottom.
    5. Get to a website that asks for your credit card info, click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of your browser to show 1Password, select the credit card item you created and click on "Autofill".

In case you still prefer to have Chrome autofill credit cards for you, you can right click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of your browser, select "Settings", then in the settings page scroll down to the "General" section and turn off "Make 1Password the default password manager". That will allow you to turn on Chrome's autofilling, but keep in mind things might get confusing if both 1Password and Chrome show up inside fields offering to autofill.

• scoobscoob
    scoobscoob
    Community Member

The reason for me is very simple.
    I ALREADY have all my credit card entered in Google Wallet and I see no reason to duplicate this precious data repository.
    It NEEDS to be in Google Wallet. It really doesn't need to be in 1password.
    It would be nice to have the ability to select to only save passwords (as the name implies) or to add other things (which can be turned on-off such as payment information (credit cards and address).... all this WITHOUT having to turn off making 1password the default password manager. I left lastpass for 1password but even they have this part working ok.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @scoobscoob ,

1Password's job is to make your digital life easier and more secure by remembering your most personal and private information for you. That includes passwords, identities (full name, address, phone number etc), credit cards, driver's license, bank account and more. We are able to autofill things for you in the browser, such as login items, identities and credit cards to make everything much easier.

The browser can do that too, but it is a tad less secure. If you already have and use 1Password, why not stick to it and utilize all of its features? Why have two different apps suggest two different autofilling genres? Make your life simpler (and more secure) by using only one autofill provider. That is the default that we turn on when users install 1Password to make the experience more seamless and less confusing for users who don't know that their browser also suggest autofilling and wouldn't be able to differentiate which is which.

You can, if you want, disable 1Password as the default manager which will allow you to turn Chrome's built-in autofilling back on, so all options are open to you. We're just here to improve your experience, but if you're used to a certain workflow that is also understandable :)

• scoobscoob
    scoobscoob
    Community Member

ag_yaron, I feel like you haven't read my comment.
    Google chrome / wallet already has my credit card info in order to use Android Pay in the Google ecosystem.
    You claim that 1password is more secure than Google Wallet. Please substantiate this assertion.
    Furthermore, I am not asking to turn off 1password but simply to have the ability to enable / disable certain sections of auto-fill so it continues to fill passwords (and whatever else I enabled) and leaves Chrome to fill credit card info.

• @scoobscoob

If you'd like to continue using the Google ecosystem to manage and fill your payment details, you can certainly still do so. We'll just have to adjust autofill settings to allow Chrome to work alongside 1Password. You can do so as follows:

1. Right-click 1Password's icon in Chrome's toolbar and click Settings.
    2. Under "General" turn off the "make 1Password the default password manager" option.
    3. Paste the following into Chrome's address bar: chrome://settings/autofill
    4. Click Payment methods and allow Chrome to autofill.
  • chrisbloom7
    chrisbloom7
    Community Member

It would be great to separate this functionality (credit cards) from passwords such that we could say 1password should be the default for passwords but not credit cards, and vice versa. I'm in the same boat as the OP - I like having all of my CC info in Google/Chrome as opposed to 1password, but I prefer 1password for all of my passwords and account info.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the suggestion @chrisbloom7! In the meantime, Chantelle's steps should help you do exactly that :)

• danger
    danger
    Community Member

I also find the inability to separate autofill for passwords and credit cards to be incredibly frustrating. For years, I've been using 1Password to autofill passwords in Chrome and Google Pay to autofill credit cards. I recently purchased a new computer and now my Chrome + 1Password extension force me to either enable the extension or disable it entirely.

I am also surprised at the responses from Team Members here. Users are requesting flexibility in the application and you're telling us we're wrong. I don't get it.

• Hey, @danger - thanks for chiming in. You should not have to disable the extension in order to use Chrome payments. If you wish to use 1Password only for autofilling passwords you can adjust the autofill settings with the steps I shared earlier in this thread. Can you confirm that you're able to use Chrome for credit cards, as expected, after following those steps?

• mikep2021
    mikep2021
    Community Member

Hey 1Password team,

All the above workarounds make the user experience be different around the user/pwd fields, and this is what is frustrating all of us here. Make it possible to ONLY remove the CC fields from the 1Password scope, but don't make us lose everything else that we love and expect from 1Password Chrome extension.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback @mikep2021 .

The purpose of 1Password is to be a one stop shop for all of your personal data and autofilling needs. Having some data in 1Password and other data in another password manager (e.g. your browser's built-in autofill) is a recipe for trouble, especially for less-savvy users as they often get confused and don't remember what is saved and where, thus losing important data.

We will consider this feedback though, thank you for taking the time to write about it - much appreciated!

• bretteast
    bretteast
    Community Member

These steps:
    1. Right-click 1Password's icon in Chrome's toolbar and click Settings.
    2. Under "General" turn off the "make 1Password the default password manager" option.
    3. Paste the following into Chrome's address bar: chrome://settings/autofill
    4. Click Payment methods and allow Chrome to autofill.

disable 1password. (NB: I think the settings url is now chrome://settings/payments)

I, like many others in this thread, would like to continue to use 1password for passwords, but the browser for credit cards.

Please consider fixing this so that these can be two separate options in Chrome. In previous versions of either the MacOS or of 1Password, this was something that I was able to do.

I appreciate you saying that 1password is a one-stop shop for credentials, unfortunately it's not as convenient as using chrome to pre-fill credit card information. It sounds like everyone in this thread knows what they're doing, so rather than trying to shill your own product, consider that users have valid reasons for different use cases.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for chiming in @bretteast .

This is about much more than "shilling" our own product, this is about security as well. Aside from having all of your most important information stored in one secure place, 1Password is much more secure than a browser's built-in autofill, where data is stored unencrypted and can be easily stolen.

Granted, convenience is better, and I can definitely understand where you're coming from. As long as you have all the information and you are making an educated decision, we will definitely support that, which is why we provide the option to disable 1Password as the default password manager and turn on Chrome's autofill. It just cannot be the default setting because it is not as secure.

Thanks again for the feedback and input - much appreciated!

• bretteast
    bretteast
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_yaron, I'm chiming in because it feels as though no one from support has read what we're all asking for here. So I will try and spell it out again:

• I WANT to use 1password for passwords
    • I DON'T WANT to use 1password for credit card information
    • Disabling 1password for credit card auto-filling, disables it everywhere so I can't use it for passwords (so this is not the solution to the collective problem we all have)

Will you support this use case?

Am I incorrect in what I have stated above, and am just missing a setting somewhere?

• @bretteast

By following the steps I suggested in my post here, you will be able to use Chrome for autofilling payment information and 1Password to autofill passwords. Can you confirm that your preferences are set accordingly? Are you still having trouble despite having followed these steps?

• bretteast
    bretteast
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_chantelle,

Very interesting, I've noticed that on one of my laptops in the chrome settings that I am able to change the settings as you have suggested. However on a second laptop (interestingly running the same version of chrome, I need to double check 1password versions), it does not work.

My settings page looks like this:

This is on Chrome: Version 94.0.4606.81
    1Password: V2.1.3

• @bretteast

Based on the screen shot, it appears that you still have 1Password set as the default password manager. You'll need to click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings. Under General, disable "Make 1Password the default password manager". You will then be able to use Chrome autofill for payments.

• bretteast
    bretteast
    Community Member

Brilliant, that is exactly it!

I was clicking the 1password icon in the settings page in chrome, not in the extensions bar in Chrome.

Thank you very much

• @bretteast

Glad to hear we were able to get to the bottom of things for you! :smile:

• Dardiana
    Dardiana
    Community Member

Just adding my vote to this as well.
    The work-around works, but gives double pop-ups on the login fields, one from Chrome and one from 1password.
    Since I use mobile/wireless payments a lot, my info needs to be in the Google wallet anyway, so I would like them to manage payments. I would like to use 1password for everything else. Maybe an advanced option we can enable in the future to make this happen?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for chiming in @Dardiana .

You can, if you want, go into 1Password's settings and turn off the "Show autofill menu on field focus" option, which will prevent it from popping up on its own.
    When you need 1Password, you'll want to click on its little icon that shows up on the right side of the field you want to autofill.

I hope that'll help you use both Chrome and 1Password simultaneously.
    We do have some changes in store for this particular topic but I don't have an ETA on that. :)

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#806

• salty
    salty
    Community Member

I signed up for a 1password trial; I'm debating switching from lastpass and I definitely found this a bit jarring.
    I surmised my credit cards going missing was likely due to 1password, but I don't really look forward to explaining this to other family members; I'd really rather there was just a setting to turn off credit card autofill (for all devices).

• salty
    salty
    Community Member

I'm also skeptical of the claim that 1password is "much more secure" than browser autofill - that may have been true in the past but I don't think it is now, especially with cards stored in Google Pay - do you have evidence to substantiate that?

I'm also not claiming 1p is less secure, but I need to have my cards in Google Pay for other reasons, and don't want to store/update them in multiple places.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2021

Hey @salty ,
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback here, much appreciated.

When 1Password is installed, by default it will disable the browser's built-in autofill function to avoid confusing users with multiple autofilling suggestions and prompts (one from 1Password and one from the browser's built-in autofill). These scenarios occur and users often don't know which is which, leading to frustration and sometimes data loss because users don't know where they have saved stuff and can't find it.

There's always the option of turning Chrome's autofill back on so you can keep using whichever autofill features of Chrome you want, but that's just another place you need to remember using ("Oh yeah my login entries are in 1Password, but when I need to autofill my credit cards then they are in Chrome. My addresses are also in Chrome so I need to keep track of them there as well") - this is getting pretty confusing for most users quickly.

As for the security aspect, browsers are the most hostile environment on a computer, and we do take every possible step (even at the price of a more convenient UI/UX at times) to ensure that users are as protected as possibly can when using 1Password. There are quite a few in-depth articles and case studies out there about browsers' autofilling abilities and their security ratings, as well as comparison with password managers such as 1Password, which you might find very interesting to read/investigate in your spare time.

• salty
    salty
    Community Member

Yeah, agreed it's confusing to have multiple things offering to fill the same fields, I've experienced that.

I think all I'm asking for is having some settings that allow you to switch between browser and 1p autofill for various types of data (passwords, credit cards, addresses, anything else?)... Ideally it would prompt you for those settings on initial installation, and sync them across devices. I appreciate having the choice - and like I said I have to have cards saved in Google Pay regardless (for recurring subscriptions, buying apps, etc), so I'd rather just fill them from there.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the followup @salty .

We do have an open feature request to let users choose what 1Password will autofill and what not (specifically relevant to identities and credit cards), so I'll add your voice there :)

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#806

• kuoirad
    kuoirad
    Community Member

I also would like to add my voice/vote in favor of being able to separate out what 1PW handles/autofills. I'm seeing another extremely frustrating issue that I suspect is related to the workaround I've implemented from this thread. Currently writing up a new thread about it since it's a different question.

• Goldfinger
    Goldfinger
    Community Member

+1 for separating the addresses autofill, OUT of 1P.
    credit cards make perfect sense to come from 1P (one source), but my family's list of frequent addresses, do not. and somehow chrome engine address autofill works better. Address'sarent private. they are long since public. thx.

• @Goldfinger

To confirm, if you follow the steps outlined here and choose Addresses and More to allow Chrome to autofill, does it not work for you?

• BeachNYC
    BeachNYC
    Community Member

I just purchased and installed 1Password a few days ago, and was astonished that I was not able to easily turn off its autofill payments feature, And my problem with @Goldfinger's workaround is that there is no 1password icon on my toolbar. I have the extension installed, but there is no icon for me to click on. I'm still in my 14 day trial period, so if I can't figure this out, then I have to discontinue 1Password. (Also, it's a little annoying to read this thread and to see folks repeatedly lectured that 1Password knows best how to manage your passwords and payments, sort of implying that we should just get used to it.) Until 1Password provides as convenient a solution for payments as Chrome does, I will choose Chrome. And if that means I have to use a password manager other than 1Password, so be it.
    @Goldfinger, thank you for at least understanding the problem people have with this, and for providing a workaround. Can you help me find this missing icon?

This discussion has been closed.