Best Practices and few others

Tcl
Tcl
Community Member
edited October 2021 in Lounge

Hi All

I have few general questions about 1password

1. When you first create an account, the PDF file with the Master key and QR code, is the QR basically the master key for mobile devices, or what does it do exactly ( i dont plan to install 1password on my current mobile, yet, so I didnt try it to see what it does)
  2. Is it a good practice to enable 2FA for your 1Password account
  3. How can i conceal notes in secure notes, so they dont show or preview their content automatically
  4. Finally, is it safe and good practice to save scanned copies or personal docs, with critical info like in 1Password, or is it better to save them in special tools like sync, tresorit or dropbox
  5. Finally, can i change my 1password email (basically my account handle), and does using an unknown email , an email i dont usually use and not known to anyone, a good practice , does it add extra security, fastmail and google allow email aliases, should i create a unique email alias for my 1password account, will this make it more secure

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2021

Hi @Tcl!

When you first create an account, the PDF file with the Master key and QR code, is the QR basically the master key for mobile devices, or what does it do exactly ( i dont plan to install 1password on my current mobile, yet, so I didnt try it to see what it does)

It enters your 1Password sign in address, email address and Secret Key automatically for you in the app. It does not include your Master Password, you will have to type that manually.

Is it a good practice to enable 2FA for your 1Password account

It can add an additional layer of protection to your account, but since 1Password is based on encryption rather than authentication, it might not add a lot of benefit as it would in other types online accounts. Here is a documentation page with some details if you are curious:

Authentication and encryption in the 1Password security model

How can i conceal notes in secure notes, so they dont show or preview their content automatically

At the moment this is not possible, but I will be happy to pass your suggestion to the developers for future consideration :+1:

Finally, is it safe and good practice to save scanned copies or personal docs, with critical info like in 1Password, or is it better to save them in special tools like sync, tresorit or dropbox

What matters is that your documents are encrypted. Since 1Password encrypts all of your data, putting your documents in it would be safe.

Finally, can i change my 1password email (basically my account handle), and does using an unknown email , an email i dont usually use and not known to anyone, a good practice , does it add extra security, fastmail and google allow email aliases, should i create a unique email alias for my 1password account, will this make it more secure

Yes, you can change your 1Password email address:

Change your email address

I don't think using an unknown email adds a lot of security since your data is encrypted with your Secret Key and Master Password anyway regardless of the email you use. I think it's a matter of personal preference if you want to use a separate email or an email alias for this.

• Tcl
    Tcl
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

Hi @ag_ana thanks a lot for your replies, it was very informative

for secure note, other workarounds can be nice to have to

currently, the client have 3 section on the left the menu, in the middle the list of items for what (category) i select from left
    and on the right the content of the record i select from the list of items in the middle

If I can hide the item view pane by default , this can be good enough
    since i also noticed the credit card number in the list is partially hidden, which is good, but in the preview pane is fully revealed
    and for now i cant find a way to collapse the item view pane, adding shortcut button and on screen button to expand and collapse this pane can be nice, and at least for me, would eliminate the need to conceal the notes content

I understand there is a new client v8 in the works, so maybe this will be customizable in it

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for all the feedback @Tcl! I am sure our developers will find it useful, and perhaps they will be able to do something like this in one of the future updates :+1:

This discussion has been closed.