Sharing a secure note with attached files doesn't share the files

Options
MMathewson
MMathewson
Community Member

I am a 1Password Families subscriber and have a need to share files over email. To secure them each file has a password and it had occurred to me that a secure note would be the perfect wrapper. Put the passwords in the notes box and attach the files; then share to defined recipients. Sadly the files do not get included ... or have I not added them properly (they appear as attachments in 1Password on the desktop but on the browser I get "This item has an unsupported field").

Is this a bug, a feature or a change request?

1Password Version: 7.9
Extension Version: 70900001
OS Version: macOS 11.6
Referrer: forum-search:secure notes file attachments

Comments

• Hi @MMathewson:

As it currently stands, sharing items does not include attachments, but I can definitely see how that would be useful.

I've made sure your feedback has been shared internally. :smile:

Jack

• MMathewson
    MMathewson
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Jack. It would be a magnificent feature if it could be done.

Mark

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback @MMathewson, I will be happy to pass it along :+1:

• 1PassRhino
    1PassRhino
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on this feature.

This would be super helpful when sharing forms with sensitive information to people. PDF Sharing like this would great and I trust 1Password vs Dropbox/Google drive for 1-Off shares. File size should probably accept at least 25MB so it has parity with common email provider size limits. 50MB per file would be awesome, but I understand keeping it low since 1Pass doesn't want to overload their servers.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Noted @1PassRhino, thank you for chiming in on this too :+1:

• 1passwordAP
    1passwordAP
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hi There,
    I migrated over from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7. My previous vault had records which had attached files. For all such records , I am now seeing "This item has an unsupported field" in the 1Password.com Web-based UI.

Now, I have deleted the older Primary vault from my previous device. Have I lost all my attachments in the entries?

Please help!

Also , it will be helpful to have the attachments feature back, yes?

• MerryBit
    MerryBit
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

It sounds like your attached files were copied over successfully, because otherwise you shouldn't be seeing the "This item has an unsupported field" message.

Try opening the desktop client instead to see if your attachments are there.

• solipet
    solipet
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P I'd agree that this would be a great new feature, but it's actually a regression - I've attached files to secure notes to share tax docs with my kids in 2020 and 2021, and those shared files are still available. Only this year have attachments to notes changed somehow. Previously, attachments appeared as "Related Items" while in new notes they appear with an eye icon and the copy "View Document - ".

• Hey @solipet:

To clarify, there's a few different things at play here. Previously, 1Password.com vaults didn't support file attachments, only Documents. Adding an attachment to an item historically would create a new Document item, and set it as a Related Item for the relevant item. More recently however, 1Password accounts supported file attachments in any item type, meaning the separate Document item is no longer required.

Separately from the change to attachments inside a 1Password account, sharing an item using Password Secure Sharing Tool won't share the file attachments, but an item in a shared vault with your children should contain the attachments as expected. Let me know if that makes sense!

Jack

• lszrh
    lszrh
    Community Member
    Options

Have you ever tried to move the parent item to another vault? You will lose the connection to the related items, even though you try to move them together (obviously since each move is a separate operation).

Having attachments is a great improvement.
    However, if it's not supported in the web UI this seems to be a useless feature unless you have the chrome extension installed. From there you can download the attachments even on Linux.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@lszrh

Having attachments is a great improvement.

I am rather fond of them myself.

The web experience has not caught up to the desktop apps. It's on the list for sure. We're continuing to work at it.

• aliminat0r
    aliminat0r
    Community Member
    Options

+1, I'm trying to share vpn certificates with a guest account...

• hcharley
    hcharley
    Community Member
    Options

+1 to sharing documents

This discussion has been closed.