Unlocking Desktop, doesn't unlock browser extention

Options

I'm not sure if this is supposed to work or not. The messaging is confusing IMO.

In the desktop app > Preferences > Browser

There is an option that says "Connect with 1Password in the browser" and it says "When you connect the 1Password app and browser extension, it makes it easier to unlock and fill your passwords.

However, I don't think this does anything.

Everytime I open my browser the 1Password extension is locked even though the 1Passowrd app is unlocked.

1Password Version: 8.2.0-56.BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.5 Beta
OS Version: macOS 11.5.2

Comments

• jacquessauve
    jacquessauve
    Community Member
    Options

Same. Very annoying to have to enter my very-long-password everytime I start a browser...

macOS Big Sur 11.5.2
    Extension v2.0.5 on Firefox 91.0 (64-bits)
    Extension v2.0.6 on Safari Technology Preview Release 129
    Extension v2.0.6 on Safari 14.1.2
    1Password macOS Beta 8-2.0-44

• jacquessauve
    jacquessauve
    Community Member
    Options

Oops. Scratch my above comment: saw that there was an update to 8.2.0-56 and that seems to have fixed the connections from the browser extensions to the app. I no longer have to re-enter my password every time I start a browser!

• roustem
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thank you for update, @jacquessauve!

I need to look through the changelog. I am not sure if we did anything about it in the new beta or it was because of the app restart during the update 🤔

[EDIT]: Not seeing anything about it in the release notes. It could be somehow related to the app restart.

• jacquessauve
    jacquessauve
    Community Member
    Options

Whoa! Is this THE Roustem?? Like...one of the Founding Fathers?!

Cooollll...!

• LOL, @jacquessauve. I should probably change the avatar, it looks nowhere close at 50 years 👴

• jacquessauve
    jacquessauve
    Community Member
    Options

LLOL! Still, kind of cool - I've been using 1Password for over a decade, and love it. Even propose it to my customers:
    https://trilogiam.ca/2021/01/20/1password-manage-your-passwords/

Keep up the great work. I know there's a lot of backlash on the framework for v8, but people sometimes just seem to get upset at any change.

• roustem
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thank you, Jacques! Nothing is better than the kind words from the long-time customer ❤️

I am glad to see you are using Safari Technology Preview, 1Password works much better on it.

• chansearrington
    chansearrington
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thanks for the update @roustem!

Ok, so technically the browser extension IS unlocking now, BUT it still shows as locked. until you click it. At which time it doesn't actually launch 1Password browser extension. It changes the icon to show unlocked. You have to click it again.

Seems like it should show as unlocked, and clicking should launch it.

EDIT:

Apparently it just takes a few seconds. :-)

All is good!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to hear that 1Password for Safari unlocked properly in the end. 😊 We're currently tracking the issue regarding the delay in the unlock message being sent from the 1Password desktop app to 1Password for Safari. I'll let the team know you ran into it!

Thanks for giving the Early Access a try, and please do continue to report issues as you come across them. ❤️

ref: dev/core/core#8209

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

@kaitlyn

We're currently tracking the issue regarding the delay in the unlock message being sent from the 1Password desktop app to 1Password for Safari. I'll let the team know you ran into it!

Just so you know, I tried to fill up a field in Safari today. I was asked to unlock (I have browser integration on). I entered my password in 1Password 8.4.0-2.BETA and it took 21 seconds after that before the browser extension (v2.1.3) showed that I was unlocked and gave me a login option in the field… That’s a loonnnggg time.

• claudiodekker
    claudiodekker
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

I'm experiencing the same issue on Chromium, but it's as-if the extension is an entirely disconnected and separate app:

• Re-installing it and clicking it makes it want to 'sign in' to connect to my 1Password account.
    • With the extension signed in and the desktop app unlocked, clicking the extension does not make it auto-unlock (even after waiting).
    • With the extension signed in and the desktop app locked, clicking the extension does not make it auto-lock (even after waiting).

Honestly, the new extension gives me 1Password X-like PTSD symptoms, and almost makes me regret having a 20+ character password.

While I might be exaggerating a bit here, both of these apps (1Password X and the new beta extension) feel like they obstruct the goal I'm trying to accomplish instead of supporting me in leading a secure digital life, but I suppose that's feedback for a different team altogether.

EDIT: Could it be that the extension is failing to communicate in Chromium for a similar reason that the 1Password 7 extension failed in Chromium, because it was looking for / expecting a (hardcoded) path to Chrome's installation? I remember that with that version of the extension, 'creating' the path even if Chrome itself wasn't installed would magically make it work in Chromium as well.

EDIT 2: Found the 'path' workaround mentioned in my previous edit ( mkdir -p ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Chrome ), but even with that the problem still persists.

• soshiito
    soshiito
    Community Member
    Options

@claudiodekker As far as I see 1Password does not list Chromium as a supported browser.

• Hi @claudiodekker:

The short version is Chromium is not a codesigned web browser, and according to the developers it never will be. The end result of that is that because of it's lack of codesigning, 1Password for Mac will not talk to 1Password in your browser. Because of that, while you can manually unlock and lock 1Password in your browser as you mentioned, it will not share a lock state with 1Password for Mac.

Jack

• claudiodekker
    claudiodekker
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @jack.platten,

I understand that Chromium isn't code signed, but I'm still curious whether there's a way to 'disable' this security/integrity somehow, as previous extensions worked just fine when DIY'ing a workaround. It doesn't even need to be a toggle in the app, even an app-level or configuration file patch that I'd have to (re)apply manually every time the app updates would more than satisfy me.

Of course, I understand that there is a technical argument to be made with regards to near-guaranteeing the safety of the extensions by only talking to code-signed browsers, but to the (highly technical) users that go out of their way to (constantly) compile and run up-to-date Chromium builds, this feels like more of a limitation. At least speaking for myself, I don't run Chromium because I enjoy compiling my own browser for hours every week, but rather because even though Google's track record with privacy and the protection of user data is arguably poor at best, they still make the most web-compatible browser out there these days.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.