1 Password on a Shared Computer

Options

I'm new to 1Password. Once I get 1Password set up in my browser, can't someone else using my computer get into my accounts by simply clicking on the 1Password icon in the browser? Or, if my computer is stolen, can't they get into my accounts by clicking on the 1Password icon in the browser? When do have to use my 1Password password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• @bubba44

Welcome to 1Password! We are delighted to have you on board. :smile:

If you're sharing your computer, much like anything, you should have good security practices and ensure that your access to 1Password is limited only to when you are using your computer. We recommend creating a separate user profile on your computer, if it's a shared computer. If you can't do that - as long as 1Password is locked, and the other user does not have your account password, your data will remain secure.

Ideally, you'll want to use your account password when you need to access your 1Password account to autofill your data while browsing. When you are done browsing, make sure to always lock 1Password or set it to lock after a set period of time. To lock 1Password in your browser, you can right click the icon in your browser toolbar and choose "Lock". If you have the app installed, this will also lock the app.

If you wish to have your computer automatically lock 1Password after a certain amount of inactivity, you can set the auto-lock preferences using the steps outlined in this guide: https://support.1password.com/auto-lock/

This discussion has been closed.