Discussed before, but the duplicates removal tool needs a lot more work.

Options
MajorHavoc
MajorHavoc
Community Member

I know duplicates have been discussed (to death) in older forum messages, and not with much success I must add. I have a family share plan, and duplicates happen all the time. I add something that my wife adds too, for example. So we each have a private vault, and one vault called "Shared" so we often see two items for the same site, with slightly different notes.

Right now, the only way I can get rid of duplicated is to walk through them one by one, and on multiple machines because I cannot see the other person's private vault.. Since I use 1Password as designed, every single website has a unique password, that list can be 600 to 1000 items long. And I need to repeat this process for every private vault.

I have tried the Help->Tools->Clean Up Duplicate Items, but this tool is flawed at best. First, it only works on one vault, which is usually not the problem. Second, the tool just shows me some duplicates (but not all the duplicated and original item) and offers me to Delete or Tag. Those two choices are mostly useless as often, one duplicate may have info in notes, so I want to pick which one I keep, not have the tool decide which one is wrong. Tagging does not help., because you do not tag BOTH of the duplicate items. Also not very useful.

What I will plead for now is a duplicate item tool that is actually a tool. Upon selecting duplicates, show me a new window with duplicates (all of them) where I can look at each item that is duplicated in full (two, three, four, etc) and select keep (no action), archive or delete (perhaps a check box or pop-up menu that says keep, delete, archive), and easily walk though that window to pick the ones I want, and archive or delete the rest.

When I started with 1Password near the start of the first release, it was easy, I did not have many duplicates. But with the web being used for everything, the list grows very fast now. This functionality is really missing as duplicates easily propagate.

No need to answer really. But please consider this a feature request for some future version. I have convinced dozens of people to switch to 1Password (usually a family plan), and I would say most of them complain to me (like I had something to do with it!) about duplicates and how to resolve. It really needs a robust tool to make it useful.

Thank you

1Password Version: 7.9.1.BETA-0 (70901000)
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: macOS 11.6 (20G165), iOS 15.0.2 (19A404)

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback @MajorHavoc! I will be happy to pass it to the developers for consideration, I am sure they will find it useful :+1:

This discussion has been closed.