Cannot use Touch ID to unlock new 1Password Safari Extension for iOS or iPadOS

nnnn959lou771
nnnn959lou771
Community Member

I use an iPhone 8 and iPad Pro 10.5" using the most up to date system and 1Password software. Unfortunately, the new Safari Extension seems extremely buggy and lags.

Most noticeably, when I try to "Lock" and re-login/unlock to the extension the I am unable to type in my master password since the keyboard freezes and doesn't respond. Similarly, when I try to unlock the extension by using Touch ID, the "finger print" icon spins but never brings up an authentication for Touch ID. What's more, if I try to access settings from the safari extension it just opens to a new Safari start page rather than the 1password app.

1Password was working so well on iOS 14 and last iteration, now it is extremely cumbersome to use on mobile/tablet devices. I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue or if this issue could be further investigated and fixed.

1Password Version: 7.8.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15.0.1

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@nnnn959lou771:

I wonder if this might be related to this other discussion you opened, since they are both reporting performance issues. We will have more details once we take a look at your diagnostics report you sent :+1:

• nnnn959lou771
    nnnn959lou771
    Community Member

Ok great thanks.

• Thank you for taking the time to report the issue. :+1:

Ben

• nnnn959lou771
    nnnn959lou771
    Community Member

Is one only able to unlock Safari Extension of 1Password on iOS/iPad OS by manually typing your Master Password rather than using Face ID/Touch ID?

• @nnnn959lou771

Once you've unlocked the 1Password for Safari extension once using your account password, if you have biometrics enabled in 1Password's settings, subsequent unlocks can happen using biometrics.

Ben

• colacin
    colacin
    Community Member

I'm finding the same thing - I can't figure out why Face ID is not used and I keep having to type my master password. I also have the Safari extension fighting with autofill and the whole situation is an irritating mess.

• nnnn959lou771
    nnnn959lou771
    Community Member

Unfortunately, the biometric sign in for safari extensions doesn't work. Screen freezes and have to restart Safari for both iPad and iPhone. Also why is the "sign-in ID" so long and strange for the biometric login attempt?

• alohadiva
    alohadiva
    Community Member

Sadly, the new OS Safari requires you to log in using the browser at least once every seven days, or it will totally block your use on OS.
    I often use the Mac M1 and just open the app and leave it up, cuz I use it too many times.

Having myself blocked there,I found that my IPHONE lost the IOS IPW facial ID. I was able to reinstall from iPad Pro+.

However I am now bollixed on the Desktop, and the IPadPro sends me warnings & wants me to use my master PW, (which I ignore) and am able to access on IPADPRO. Trying to print out paper copies for safe security backup. (Safety Deposit Box!)

• alohadiva
    alohadiva
    Community Member

Now I am trying to select all in IOS and thru random hacker logic, SELECT ALL AUTOMATICALLY TURNS ON WHEN YOU SELECT MOVE.
    I was trying to individually select 268 items, and it was making me crazy, so I started at the bottom and scrolled up, because I failed every time I tried from the top.

Low and behold..I accidentally found myself there and Move was clicked. Now if I can just find out HOW TO PRINT IT OUT.

• @alohadiva

We'd highly recommend printing an Emergency Kit, rather than printing the actual data stored within 1Password:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Once printed you can fill in the password field and store the completed document in a safe place, such a fire safe or bank deposit box. I hope that helps!

Ben

• Also, @alohadiva, if you're still having trouble unlocking with biometrics, please email us at support@1password.com and we'd be happy to help troubleshoot. Thanks!

Ben

• alohadiva
    alohadiva
    Community Member

Dearest Ben, a plethora of customer support folks have attempted to respond. They are always great but do not grasp problem.
    1. I always print out the emergency kit as soon as I change the master PW. Have duplicate copies. Redundancy.
    2. This has proved useless.
    3. the "best practices" password, way too complicated, last changed on 9/14/21, didn't work. I went there first.
    4. I have been with 1 PW for ages, and went thru this rodeo once before.
    5. My computer life was perfect, after the Touch ID key board arrived. UNTIL I was suddenly informed that I needed master PW to continue Touch ID
    6. IPADPRO still has facial recognition access.
    7. The iPhone version worked until about 5 days ago.
    8. Fortunately I changed my Apple PW to something memorable.
    9. You are all fabulous and.....I am still locked out.
    10. I set a a new private account, for which I am now being billed
    11. I am unable to move and copy between IOS and OS, even attempting theSIDECAR feature on OS.
    12. I am mystified.
    13. Hawaii standard time.
    14. help, please.

• @alohadiva

It sounds to me like perhaps the root of the issue is that you do not have the current password for your 1Password account? Is that correct? Touch ID is not a replacement for the account password — the account password will always be required for some operations. I'm sorry you're having trouble with that. I'd like for us to help you get to the bottom of the problem.

We're unable to check into any of the details of your account based on requests through this forum. All verification has to be done through email. I'm not seeing any emails in our system from the email address you have registered here. Could you please send us an email to support@1password.com from the email address associated with your 1Password account, so we can better assist? You can include a link to this thread so that you don't have to repeat yourself. If you already have a support ticket opened with us could you please provide the support ID?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.