1p v8 - Feedback on why i've moved back to v7

Options

Hi all, some feedback for the great team at AgileBits on v8. First, I completely applaud and support the work you're doing on unifying the backends, and that there's tradeoffs involved. Good for all of you in tackling what will ultimately benefit all users in the long run.

That said, 1password 8 was too much of a departure for me to test and use. I've moved back to v7. Here's why:

• Things don't work the same, or unreliably, and it's led to a lot of time wasted to figure out why:

• Autofill in Safari
    • Autofill in Vivaldi (chromium)
    • Keyboard shortcuts are different than before (not inheriting v7 settings)
    • Keeping the app open and unlocked is more challenging
    • Settings I could configure in v7 are altogether missing in v8
  • The Electron interface looks and feels cartoonish. Not a reason to stop using it, but it's clear the UX tradeoff of Electron vs. a native MacOS development toolkit. I don't necessarily care about the 1password UI that much, because I'm auto-filling. But due to having to spend a lot of time in the new UI trying to re-setup and troubleshoot, I've grown to be disappointed with it's responsiveness and overall UX.

• It's slower. Not only because of the above annoyances, but also just less responsive on a high-end 2019 MacBook Pro. And given how many times a day I autofill, this adds up. This is the #1 reason I'll wait for a next release that's at least close to the workflow impact as v7.

I'm usually happy to test development builds, but this is a leap too far right now. Keep it up, and please keep supporting v7 in the short term for Mac users until the v8 development hurdle is overcome!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• philajoe1
    philajoe1
    Community Member
    Options

I wish I knew how to go back to 1PW 7. I should not be a beta tester, I know 8-)

• PeterG_1P
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hi @petro, thanks for your feedback here, and for your support of our efforts to build the best dang password manager around!

We appreciate hearing from you about your experience with the Early Access version. I'm sorry it wasn't a more rewarding one for you, but we will be taking this input seriously. Here's what I can tell you about where things stand right now:

First, regarding auto-filling in Vivaldi and Safari: I'm not sure specifically what you're referring to here, but our team would certainly be happy to learn more and see what we can do about it.

Keyboard shortcuts are different than before (not inheriting v7 settings)

That's true. I can't speak to the design decisions related to the current defaults, but we do recognize that flexibility is really important when it comes to this kind of thing. People have individual workflows, custom setups, apps that may use the same hotkeys (and thus cause a conflict), and even different region + language settings for keyboards can make a seemingly uncontroversial hotkey problematic. For that reason our developers are building in the functionality to customize the shortcuts to your taste. It's not here yet, but it's coming.

Keeping the app open and unlocked is more challenging

If there are problems with this, we definitely want to know about it! On the behalf of an earlier customer, I have put in a feature request for more lock-state options (which cover when and if 1Password locks when your device goes to sleep, user logs out, screensaver activates, and so on). I'll be happy to add your voice to that as well.

Settings I could configure in v7 are altogether missing in v8

If you'd like to share specifics, I'll be happy to pass them on. I should say that this is still an early version of the app, so everything hasn't been built yet. But we want 1Password 8 to surpass version 7, so you can expect that it will be at least as robust - and very likely more so - than its predecessor.

The Electron interface looks and feels cartoonish.

oof.

It's slower.

I know this kind of thing can be hard to quantify, but again if there's anything specific you want to show us we're happy to take it on board. There are a bunch of performance optimizations going on right now, so this should be improved in any case.

Thanks again for the thoughtful feedback!

ref: dev/core/core#9398
    ref: dev/core/core#3374

• christiaanb
    christiaanb
    Community Member
    Options

I've given myself ample time to get used to it too but I'm really not comfortable with the Electron interface either. Gone back to using 7.

• Ben
    Options

Fair enough, @christiaanb. Thanks for giving it a try. Hopefully the improvements we'll be making over the coming months will be enough to convince you to try it again once the stable version ships.

Ben

• claus
    claus
    Community Member
    Options

It is amazing how AgileBits still believes in v8. Negative feedback from everywhere, users are not completely interested or willed in using v8, users migrating their passwords to another password manager.
    We read again and again the same - trying to whitewash their v8. Nothing like "yes, your critics is right" - never.
    Just sth. like "maybe you come back when the stable version is out" (not realising that this won't change ANYTHING for many users), "oof" (critics about the Electron GUI, see above). Or a "please specify what you mean" - what sounds like AgileBits has never developed an app before and does not understand what many users criticise.
    What, AgileBits, what must happen to make you realising/seeing that v8 goes in the complete wrong direction?!

• Jono Spiro
    Jono Spiro
    Community Member
    Options

+1, from a user of 1P since the very beginning, and one that has brought 1P teams to five companies and four families.

Respectfully, the lack of feature parity during an alpha is understandable, but beta is literally meant to be feature complete. This is anything but.

Electron is a lazy way to do cross platform–but I will admit it's lightyears better than the current Windows client. Native is what brought many of us to 1P in the first place. I do NOT like v8 but I am forcing myself to use it so that I either switch off 1P out of frustration, or get used to how much worse it is (so far) before forced on us. I also dislike the ARR pricing model, it's typical of companies that finally find success and it's abusive.

Here's a quick list of v8 issues (and a few that have been problems for years) simply from the top of my head, they're so frustrating that I didn't even have to open the app to recall them:

• Different keyboard shortcuts is a pointless annoyance (e.g. holding down Option used to reveal passwords momentarily, which was super useful; now we have Cmd-R at least, but it's a friggin' toggle!
    • The inability to edit when you do Cmd-O, and the really
    • That we still can't move items across vaults with attachments... MOVE THE ATTACHMENTS!
    • The difficulty in moving items across vaults in most interfaces and that drag-drop doesn't seem to work
    • Being forced to use the confusing and half-implemented Archive functionality vs Trash
    • The inability to change or disable keyboard shortcuts
    • That keyboard shortcuts are system-wide even if you don't want them to be
    • That we can't scan 2FA codes anymore
    • That in 2021 the 1P mini STILL won't remember the last thing you typed for more than like 5 seconds
    • That we have collections now but no way to switch across vaults or collections in 1Password mini

And a few Teams issues that are concerning:

• Where's the white paper on the new password sharing to prove the safety? Where's the ability to disable it and revoke them across an org?
    • That the audit trails in Teams for password use only audit auto-fills, not when someone copies a password
    • That when inviting someone we can't pre-specify their permissions, so we're forced to remember what they need access to days after we send the invite
    • That the default permissions for vault access are FULL rather than view; ever heard of least privilege?
    • That we can't create reusable, permitted permissions policies and have to check permissions individually
    • That you force us to install SCIM in our clusters to get SSO, which is something that you should really be doing for us

v8 is much better than most Electron apps, I will give you that, and using Rust where it's appropriate is awesome. But I think leadership drank the koolaid of some young engineers who only know how to make web apps and promised it'd feel native. It doesn't, it can't, and I don't like it.

• ag_kevin
    edited October 2021
    Options

Hi @Jono Spiro ,

Thanks for taking the time to write in with your feedback. I'll be passing it along to the development team. In the meantime, it looks like a couple of your issues have been resolved:
    • items with attachments can be moved to different vaults
    • keyboard shortcuts can now be edited. Note that with the exception of the "Show 1Password" shortcut, the other shortcuts have always been system-wide in previous versions. You can disable them by removing the keyboard shortcut by clicking the X in the shortcut field.

I'll pass the rest of your feedback along.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Hi again @Jono Spiro ,

A question I forgot to ask in my previous reply. What is it about Archive that you feel is missing compared to Trash?

Thanks,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.