Is there a tutorial video for the android app?

Xalrap
Xalrap
Community Member

Hi,
Been using 1Password for about 3 weeks now and I REALLY like it on the computer. The android app on my Samsung S21 seems almost pointless, however. I have experienced nothing but frustration when it comes to this password manager on my phone. When trying to log into websites, the option to use 1 Password comes up about 50% of the time, I have to tap back and forth between username and password fields to get it to appear, if it ever does, and when I go into the app, I see things like Vaults but all I can do is check or unchecked them; I can't access any info from the app. If I want to access a password to copy and paste to a password field for a website (because the app wouldn't fill it in), I have to log in to the actual my1password website (which is terrible to use on the phone... if the phone is verticle I can't see the passwords I want to copy, and if I turn it horizontal, the keyboard takes up 80% of the screen and I can still BARELY access the passwords on the right).
I was just trying to create a new entry for my uverse modem and couldn't even find a way to do that in the app. Do I really need to log in from a computer to do anything useful with 1Password?
Tutorial videos specifically for the app that are NOT advertisements for 1 Password would be super helpful. Everything I have found on YouTube is just basically an ad for 1 Password.
Before you ask, yes, I have enabled accessibility and I turned on autofill. My phone even says that 1 Password is managing it now, but the android app is unpredictable at best.
Why is the website so much more functional than the app?
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks!

Comments

• Hi @Xalrap,

Thanks for writing to us for help with using 1Password on your Android device. While we don't have the kind of tutorial video that it sounds like you're looking for, we have put together a Get to Know 1Password for Android guide that should help familiarize you with the main features of the app.

From what you've described, it sounds like you're accessing the vault switcher by tapping on the icon at the top left of the app. In order to access the items within your vaults, you'll want to do one of two things:
    1. Tap on the magnifying glass icon in the toolbar and type in your search query.
    2. Tap on the Categories tab at the bottom of the screen and then either tap on All Items or a specific category that you want to browse.

After doing either of these, you should find yourself looking at a list of your items. To create a new item, you will want to tap on the blue + button near the bottom right corner of the app. This button is visible while viewing the list of categories or items from the categories tab.

Hopefully that helps get you further along in being able to use 1Password on your Android device. Please let me know how that goes for you and then I'll happily ask you some follow-up questions about the websites where you're having trouble using Autofill with 1Password.

• Xalrap
    Xalrap
    Community Member

Thank you so much. Yes, I was able to access passwords through categories and tags (though I'm not really sure what "Tags" is for).
    As far as websites, it is really random. It will work sometimes with a site and not work the next time I try. Even with my banking website, a pretty major national bank, sometimes the name of the bank will pop up above the keyboard, sometimes I'll get the 1 Password icon to search 1 Password, and sometimes nothing will pop up until I click back and forth between the username and password fields multiple times. I'd rather not name my bank on here, but when I find examples of other sites I'll create a new post with the list. Just off the top of my head, I recall having a lot of trouble with the autofill feature with the website and app for Identity Guard.

Ha... so trying to post this response I had to login to the community. 1 password has my username saved as "1 Password Community" (I assumed that I messed up when creating the original login) but when I adjusted it on the login screen, there was no option to update 1 Password with the new info. Maybe I've just been spoiled by Chrome and Samsung, but if I make a change to the login they automatically ask if the change should be saved. Just another thing that makes me wonder about the effectiveness of the app.
    Thanks so much for the help you gave. I appreciate the help!

• I'm glad that you were able to access your items. You can use tags to organize and group items together as you see fit. For example, you could add the tag "Bills" to all of your Logins that you use for paying your monthly bills. Then you could navigate to the "Bills" tag and cycle through those items as you go about paying your bills each month.

1Password is able to offer to save details when you enter them manually in apps and supported browsers. The operative word there is "supported" browsers. We're only able to offer to save details you enter manually in browsers that fully support Autofill. That does include Firefox, but unfortunately does not yet include Chrome or Samsung Internet. Both of those browsers only support Autofill compatibility mode, which doesn't allow for saving details.

I hope that helps explain the behaviour that you're seeing.

This discussion has been closed.