consistent malfunction on multiple sites: login fails because of password

Options
greenery
greenery
Community Member
edited October 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I've been using 1password from the first year it launched, and there has never been a serious problem. But I've got one now. On at least five different, unrelated sites (everything from insurance to web server to weblogs), I try to login using 'autofill' (Chrome, using 1P extension 2.1.3.) and get an error - email or password incorrect. Often (but not always) if I go to the 1password window and copy the password, then paste it into the login screen, it will work. But not always.

I spent a good amount of time going over the login information for the sites this happens with most often. I searched to make sure there wasn't a duplicate set of credentials that was interfering, which was the case once. But only that one time. So logging into my internet server, I have had to reset my password once or twice a day for weeks now.

This is what I do: I reset the password, accept the new password 1P suggests, update the entry, and sometimes - but not always- that works. But more usually it does not work, and the next time I have to go through the whole reset password process. Again.

There aren't any posts here about similar problems (unless I just missed them). I am so frustrated that I'm thinking of dumping 1password after using it for all these years.

Any insight or suggestions welcome.

Thanks

rlg

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.9 (70900001)
Extension Version: 2.1.3
OS Version: mac OS Big Sur 11.08

Comments

• Roger D. Harmon
    Roger D. Harmon
    Community Member
    Options

Since the 7.9 1Password update, 1Password is broken on Safari Version 15.0 (16612.1.29.41.4, 16612) on Big Sur 11. It was working yesterday and after I updated it today, it is not working. When I clicked on the 1Password icon in Safari, nothing happens. I launched Firefox and it seems to be working. I don't use Chrome. I did not update Safari or Big Sur in the last week or two.
    Hopefully, this will be fixed correctly and quickly.

• greenery
    greenery
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Roger. I'm using Chrome but may shift over to Firefox (Safari sounds like its misbehaving too) until 1P decides to play nicely. I have to file a bug report I guess, to combat reasonable deniability.

• greenery
    greenery
    Community Member
    Options

typo: it's

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @greenery ,

There are several possible reasons for this issue. From the top of my head:

• The password you generated is longer than what the website allows (e.g. the website allows up to 12 characters and you generated a 16 characters password). 1Password will autofill all 16 characters because it injects the password directly into the page and bypasses any length restrictions. However, if you copy-paste the password, the website will truncate any excess characters and that would work.
    • When changing a password on a website, you need to make sure that you change it both in 1Password and on the website itself. If you update the password in 1Password but don't send the "Change Password" form on the website (or if you send it and the website does not accept the new password), then you'll have a wrong password that is not what the website expects.
    • The website itself has a problematic login form that might mess with the username/password input fields and alter them in some way that causes it to fail when autofilling.

If you think that third one might be the issue, feel free to share some public links to websites where you're having troubles and we'll be happy to test them for you.

@Roger D. Harmon Your issue is unrelated. You can probably get things to work again in Safari by simply restarting the computer :)

• greenery
    greenery
    Community Member
    Options

I will investigate all three possibilities and get back to you. It's still happening, in the meantime. Also, I will be not satisfied if the only browser I can use is Safari in order to use 1P.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I did not say that Safari is the only option from now on :)
    You should be able to use whichever browser you want. We just need to understand what exactly the issue is.

This discussion has been closed.